Scope for 300 win mag - Page 2 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 06:39 PM
Part of the Community

the pencil barrel is more the problem for 500 to 1k....carry on with your build and post some groups when you get it together.

hope you can understand my info?

A "clip" is a clip, aka Def: a device, typically flexible or worked by a spring, for holding an object or objects together or in place.
a "Magazine" is a magazine aka Def: a chamber for holding a supply of cartridges to be fed automatically to the breech of a gun.

so a "clip" holds the "magazine" in place. get it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300 Norma Mag View Post
the pencil barrel is more the problem for 500 to 1k....carry on with your build and post some groups when you get it together.

hope you can understand my info?
I’m an archer hunter and never shot much past 150/200 anything past that will feel like an accomplishment. The gun is more for hunting purposes and some bench shooting .

You're the same dumb pilgrim that I been hearin' for twenty days, and smellin' for three!
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 06:46 AM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by At Full Draw View Post
Iím an archer hunter and never shot much past 150/200 anything past that will feel like an accomplishment. The gun is more for hunting purposes and some bench shooting .
now your talking straight, you are in the long range section and in most books long range is more like 500 to 1500yds then ELR....extreme long range and you did say 1k.. and just aiming high....well? your bullet is dropping about 3 feet at 500yds...

did you decide on scope? rings are just as inportant and check out the Burris Sig-Z with inserts for your next step. the inserts are awesome and keep ring marks off tube also...

burris makes real nice scopes also!

A "clip" is a clip, aka Def: a device, typically flexible or worked by a spring, for holding an object or objects together or in place.
a "Magazine" is a magazine aka Def: a chamber for holding a supply of cartridges to be fed automatically to the breech of a gun.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 06:58 AM
Part of the Community

Leupold CDS is a pretty good sysem out to 500yds...i prefer using MOA but you can make that call?

i have a Burris FFII 1.75 x 6 on my 308 carry rifle.with a 2 line hold over.

post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 07:02 AM
Part of the Community

my brother in law has a Kimber Mt. ascent .300 wsm with Talley rings and a Huskmar blue diamond scpoe. No problem dialing it up, I took it to 600 yards and could have taken out a crow with the group. Don't be afraid of a lite rifle shooting out there.
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 07:21 AM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325wsm View Post
my brother in law has a Kimber Mt. ascent .300 wsm with Talley rings and a Huskmar blue diamond scpoe. No problem dialing it up, I took it to 600 yards and could have taken out a crow with the group. Don't be afraid of a lite rifle shooting out there.

oh, i am VERY well aware of how well they shoot out there. did you ever shoot a 3 or 5 shot group with it at 600yds?

if so , lets see it. then we can talk about hit probability on a crow at 600yds even with it..

the Kimber Ascent is a bit more custom than a T3 also...and @ 4x the price..as is optics.

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 09:45 PM
Frequent Contributor

This is my T3 .260 at 500. There are two hits in the splatter nearest my thumb.

This is my T3X .300 win mag at 600. It was a bit windy. I was holding almost 2 mils.

The .260 weighs around 7.75 lbs scoped, the .300 a little over 8.5. Both wear SWFA 3-9's.

My heavy (13 pound) .260 does it better and easier but sporter weight rifles get it done.

I haven't owned a Kimber but I think it is very misguided to say T3's can't shoot with them. All I'll say about Leupold is that there are better ways to dial.
325wsm likes this.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 10:49 PM
Part of the Community

congrats rovert !
please enlighten Full Draw with better information for a scope for his rifle then as this is his post. or shall i post pics of my 500 and 600yd groups?
or are you 325wsm bro in law who thinks that group would take out a crow at 600? or is that a 3" plate?
i'm missing what i said wrong?
feel free to start another post with your point?
or provide full draw with better information please....

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 07:25 AM
Frequent Contributor

I never said anything about being able to hit a crow at 600. That is a feat for anyone, atleast for a first round hit in any amount of wind. You've been saying that sporter weight rifles are a problem at 500-1000. You then went on to say a Kimber " a bit more custom", so somehow maybe that rifle with a whippy barrel is better than a T3? I'm sure some are and some aren't.

I haven't shot past 800 with any of my sporter weight rifles so I can't speak to the effectiveness there. I can say that Tikkas can be capable of hunting accuracy out to 800 though. I never have any intention of taking a shot at a game animal past 600 yards.

I'm relatively new to long range shooting. I didn't start with great long range gear. I wouldn't discourage someone from trying out long range shooting because they don't have the "right" gear. As long as one has a true sub-MOA-ish rifle/load, things should be enjoyable. Everyone has to start somewhere. Scopes are learning curve for everyone. If someone wants to get into LR on the cheap, there is no reason to look anywhere but a fixed power SS.

The attitude you bring to this conversation is not helpful and certainly not encouraging. You've provided some good information but have basically told the OP his rifle is not capable. I think the average T3/X is certainly capable of shooting well past 500 yards.

I absolutely disagree with your recommendation of a Leupold for dialing. Leupolds have had some of the least consistent adjustments of any scope I've owned. I've only owned a couple of Vortex scopes. They have been better than the Leupolds. I haven't seen anything under the price range of a Nightforce that competes with an SWFA. Sightron, Weaver, and Burris maybe, but I haven't used them enough.
325wsm likes this.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 07:52 AM
Part of the Community

oh, so you want to argue and yes you are still learning and i completely disagree with you!

#1 i asked if you were 325WSM bro in law, apparently he thinks is easy to hit a crow at 600yds,,,a least you know that is NOT and easy ask!

#2 most matches do not allow nor shoot sporter weight barrels at 500yds due to too many crossfires but they do allow factory varmint, what does that tell you?

#3 disagree with Leupold dialing, ABSOLUTELY WRONG! not many years ago Leupold 6.5x20x50 LR or 8x25x50 LRT were about the only scopes used in long range. i dial my little leupolds and nikons all the time.

so you just said how difficult it is to take a shot and hit at a crow at 600yds but they ARE capable of 800yds hunting accuracy. don't get that either.

plus the OP does not reload and that has ALOT to do with the capability of the rifle...do you reload? or you shooting rem core-loks at 500 and 600yd plates?

so once again argue or help the OP with better information,

Last edited by 300 Norma Mag; 01-26-2019 at 08:33 AM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page