The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

weatherby vanguard...composite stalk...

4K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  Strut10 
#1 ·
I noticed that the barrel will not slide a dollar down it without stopping the dollar...doI need to sand it out? Surprized as I thought weatherby was a great gun?

#3 ·
It's a vanguard, not that it's bad but that is a budget gun for weatherby.
IMHO I doubt it makes much difference on that if you do or don't. Those composite stocks aren't the same as high end synthetic stocks or fiberglass ones like real long range guns have. They are basically plastic and even if you channel them out they flex and shift really easily.
If you want to make this gun a shooter, but an after market stock of better quality and bed the action into it and float it. Then you have a chance to see if your barreled action is capable of whatever long range your trying to accomplish. Boyd's is a really in expensive option that is pretty darn good without breaking the bank.

#4 ·
It's a vanguard, not that it's bad but that is a budget gun for weatherby.
The Vanguard may be a budget gun. But they are shooters. Some of them are INSANE accurate !!! My older daughter has a Vanguard Youth .308 Win with a 20" barrel. It's still in the black-painted beechwood stock. It is a bona fide 1/4 MOA shooter for 3 shots at 100 yards. No trigger work...…….no bedding work...…….just a Burris 3-9x40 on top. It's CRAZY accurate.

#7 ·
Pa Teeny,

Weatherby Vanguards are available with two different types of "synthetic" stocks. The higher cost models come with a true glass/resin stock. Those stocks are very rigid and I believe they are supplied to Weatherby by B&C. The lower cost Vanguard models come with injection molded (plastic/tuperware) stocks. Those stocks are very flexible and if you tried removing the pressure point and/or floating the barrel, most likely the forend would flex under pressure and touch the barrel at random times/points and cause a loss in accuracy.

I would make my decision on the free floating/bedding of the stock based on what stock you have on your model Vanguard.

Good luck, Tony

#9 ·
I have a 2000 era Vanguard synthetic in 300 WBY. It is the most accurate gun I own. If I thinkered with loads and got a trigger job, it would be shooting 1/2" MOA or better. It's already shooting .75" groups with my hunting loads and a crappy trigger.

#15 ·
Anytime Im messing with a new or used obtained rifle I bed, float, and adjust trigger before shooting. But that's me! I cant comment on the Whby. since I don't own one. I will comment on Remington 700 composite stock is a piece of junk Tupperware that I will not even bed. It gets replaced and one time I actually put a wooden stock on and did my thing with it.

#17 ·
Im not trying to be smart but this is the long range forum. I have heard lots of people with 1/4" guns and rarely have seen them even more rarely if it isn't a custom. I'm not saying that on one magical day they shoot 3 shots into 1/4 but consistently.
Accuracy is in the eye of the shooter. and this being long range I am talking a higher standard than just a good shooter.

Reactions: outofstater
#18 ·
Believe me...……… I scratch my head every time I think about my daughter's rifle.

I tossed together a slightly reduced load with IMR-3031 and Winchester 150 grain Power Point on Federal Match brass. Nothing fancy or special.

I did the initial sight-in with it at 50 yards and, once zeroed, put 3 shots into one hole that was, IIRC, something like .150" CTC. We took it to the range at the farm and shot it at 100 yards. she shot a group that was about 3" from bottom to top and about 1/2" wide. I bagged the gun and shot 3 into a .254" or a.245...….. it's been 12-13 years ago so I don't remember which one. Sometime since then, I benched the gun again with very similar results, 3 shots at 100 yards.

I'm not denying it's a once in a lifetime rifle for what she paid for it. Probably a 1 outta 10,000 factory gun. But it is what it is. I remember telling her when she was 12 that if she EVER sold that gun it would be to ME. In fact (she's 25 now) just this past Sunday I gave her the first target she shot with the rifle and told her again...…...if she sells it, she sells it to ME.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.