Scope advice - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Scope advice

I recently ordered a Browning X Bolt Western Hunter in 7mm mag and I am deciding on a scope and finding myself stuck. I narrowed it down to 2
Leupold VX3i 4.5-14x50 CDS 30mm
And
Leupold VX5hd 3-15x44
It is a hunting rifle and realistic shots will be under 600yds. The VX3 is my go to scope but the VX5 has better glass, but smaller objective. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 05:01 PM
The Man

Can't go wrong with either choice. They are so close that it doesn't even matter. Close your eyes, reach out and grab one, go hunting and don't look back.

Last edited by kudu58; 01-17-2018 at 05:13 PM.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 06:54 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

IMO, Leupold is one of the best Scopes out there in quality and warranty. Either one of your choices is good. I use Leupold on all of my silhouette rifles and pistols as well as my Hunting rifles, pistols and revolvers. Even use Leupold spotting scopes and binoculars. Over the course of the silhouette season I adjust my scopes for various distances and windage more than a hunter would in six lifetimes. They are rugged and repeatable. As for warrenty, I blew the reticle out of one Scope that was mounted on a 45-70 and it was totaly my fault. A set of binoculars that I dropped around 20 feet off a rock ledge breaking the glass again my fault. Both were replaced with new items no questions asked. Enjoy your new Leupold, knowing for the money they are the best out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

I have a few vx3s currently but only 1 vx3i and its on a muzzleloader. I just wasnt sure if the better glass in the 5 is worth $200 more and also if a 44mm obj will let in enough light. Thanks for the info!
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 08:28 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Vx5 for sure. Put one on my bear rifle and want another for my 7wsm. Very clear and great color resolution. Zero lock turret is wonderful. It seems great in low light but I have only looked through it a few times at dusk.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 08:45 PM

The VX-5 is pretty great. I got one recently and I'm really impressed with it.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 09:53 PM
Frequent Contributor

I was in same position last year when I was looking for a new scope, my choices were between the Leupold VX-5HD 3-15 and the Vortex Razor HD LH 3-15. I personally decided on the Vortex as I liked the reticle better however I have not yet bought it as I have switched focus to another project.

I do however have a Vortex Gen 2 PST and it is a wonderful scope tho use probably a bit more tactical than you were looking for.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Vortex reticles are a bit busy for hunting IMO but the glass is clear. Ive only looked at them in the store so low light I dont know how they perform. I have read many stories on them having issues though. Customer svc is supposed to be great at handling them but in 15yrs I have only sent 1 Leupold back and it was a vx1.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 08:05 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I see this thread may be morphing to a scope Manufacture other than the OP. Keep in mind that Leupold is a privately owned American company that Manufactures, assembles and employs using American workers. They buy the Optics from Japan because there are no quality sources in the US. I participate in many state, Regional and national competitions and they are absolutely dominated by Leupold.

Vortex has a cute name, but they have no manufacturing process in the US. They are 100% imports.

The OP should stick with his choice. You cannot go wrong with Leupold.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 09:17 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

untrue regarding vortex. Look at the razor amg. I have scopes from both and it comes down to price levels. Tactical scopes, vortex has a better product for a much better price. Hunting scopes such as the vx5 are where Leupold shines. Lower end vortex offerings are still pretty good but people try to compare a diamondback to their favorite leupold and say vortex is junk. Leupold is making strides in the right direction with the vx5 and vx6 but their higher end scopes like the mk8 are overpriced and/or behind the times feature wise. Vx5 and vx6hd are in my opinion some of the best options for a hunting rifle when considering weight and features. Other optics may be better in some ways but usually at a significant weight penalty. If starting over on hunting rifle optics. There would be more vx5s and maybe vx6hds in my safe. Varmint and tactical rifles are a different story and would be another brand.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in