20 moa base and ballistic calculator - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

20 moa base and ballistic calculator

Hi guys. This may sound like a very dumb question. How do I take into account my 20 moa scope base when I'm entering data into a ballistics calculator? I'm very new to the long range game. I installed the Bullet Drop app on my phone and was messing around with it a little and was wondering if my scope base was something that needed entering? If so there's not a place for it in this calculator. Granted, this is a free app and I plan on buying a good one in the very near future but I figured I'd get my feet wet with this one first. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 09:07 PM

I don't know what app you're using or what criteria it uses to make calculations. IMO the base shouldn't make a difference, but what's important is your zero.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 09:27 PM
Frequent Contributor

Jaron,

You do no equate your base into your calculator. By installing your base you have angled your optics 20 moa lower or tilted downward in the front, so when you go to make long range shots you have 20 moa of extra elevation adjustment than you would original have by using a 0 moa or level base. So zero your rifle as you normally would. Then you will have all that extra adjustment when you are ready to long range shoot.

So essentially what Marcus99 said
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 04:13 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Thanks a lot for the clarification. It makes sense now.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 07:33 PM
Frequent Contributor

I'm going to go a different route compared to the other two posters.

I've used shooter and other Android ballistics calculators and you do factor in the bases. Every program that I've ever used, I always had to measure the scope height. Basically, the center of the barrel to the center of the scope itself to get my measurement.

This is going to help the ballistics calculator to get your DOPE at X distance. Of course knowing your muzzle velocity is also very important to make first round hits.

From the other two posters, it depends on what optics the OP is using as some optics have crap for elevation travel. The 20MOA base will help whatever optic the OP is using to save on the elevation travel.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 08:35 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Scope height is one thing and the scope base is another.
All programs require scope height information as it does affect the outcome, same as velocity does.
But as has been stated, base taper has no affect on it.
It simply allows for more elevation adjustment when using a tapered base.
But we are still free to think whatever we like even if its wrong. lol
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 12:15 PM

JBM ballistics is the best thing I have found and I do a LOT of long range shooting and I fancy myself pretty proficient at it.
Just make sure you measure your scope height from the center of the scope down to the center of your bold for the closes number you can. then shoot!

To Crush your enemys, See them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of there women.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page