Leupold CDS - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By dragman
  • 1 Post By CMP70306

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Leupold CDS

Anyone have a leupold Custom Dial System scope? Does it work well...looking to shoot 500yds...not extreme long ranges...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 09:32 AM

600 and under they work pretty well, BUT they fall very short if you want maximum accuracy. They just can't take into account all the things that are so very important in longer ranges.
outofstater likes this.

To Crush your enemys, See them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of there women.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 08:46 PM
Frequent Contributor

I just ordered one for a custom 300WSM that I'm setting up for a Colorado elk hunt. My gunsmith told me basically same thing dragman said. You might miss a groundhog or 2 at 500, but you won't miss an elk. I ordered the VX3i 6.5-20. Looking forward to shooting it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 02:53 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffedG View Post
Anyone have a leupold Custom Dial System scope? Does it work well...looking to shoot 500yds...not extreme long ranges...

Custom dials I would not go farther then 500. I have one made for my Zeiss conquest by Kenton Industries they specialize in this and will make you one for any scope. I would recommend you get a custom dial from them in MOA. One you learn MOA you can make drop chart and carry with you out west. Remember that bullet flies different here in the east at 800' above seas level then out west from 5k-10k' elevation. You can figure it out ahead of times different elevations you might be hunting and carry a small note pad or actually have it on your phone. If your dial say is in 100 yards increment's as most dials it sure will be different out there unless you tell them that elevation. Might sound confusing but not hard to figure out.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 02:55 AM
The Man

I might add also the same with the Varmint hunter and B&C models with hash lines. You really have to play with them.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 05:05 AM
The Man

I don't do a lot of long range shooting anymore and am certainly not disputing what anyone has said so far. But, I fired a rifle with a B&C reticle the last time I was in NFLD on a moose hunt. We were all done hunting and just wasting time until the plane came to get us the next day. Anyway, the one guy had a stainless Browning .338 WinMag with a Leupold VX3 in 4.5-14x40mm scope with the B&C reticle. We were on the dock and there was a rock out in the lake. We ranged the rock at 604 yards and it had a white spot right on top of the tip that was out of the water. The guy let me shoot his rifle so I sat down on the dock and rested off my knees. I never fired that rifle before and zeroed that white spot exactly on the first shot. Perhaps some luck involved, perhaps not, but I was pretty impressed with it. I don't know how much messing around he had in getting it sighted in like that but it worked.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 09:59 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I have a leupold 4.5x14-30mm tube with SF and CDS on my rem 700-p in 300 win mag and its good to go for ranges out to 750 yards with hornady 178gr amax tap precision ammo #82035. you do need a very good range finder and be able to dope the wind, the last one will be the killer to long range shooting. but gallon milk jugs at 500 yards are a piece of cake from a decent rest. eastbank.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN9728.JPG (728.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg RSCN9853.JPG (822.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg RSCN9850.JPG (359.9 KB, 5 views)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 04:39 PM
Frequent Contributor

Basically it is the simple form of dialing, rather than remembering the drop in MOA you simply dial to your range and shoot. The downside is that the turret is good for only one set of environmental conditions any deviation will start to cause the bullets to no longer hit where the turret says.

So let's for example take the 178gr Precision Hunter ammo in .308, at your normal shooting conditions your 600 yard drop is 14.25 MOA which is what the turret is made for at 130ft elevation and 50 F temp. Now say you head to visit your buddy in the mountains of central PA over the summer. At 1100 ft and 80 degrees your 600 yard turret throws your bullets 3" high, not enough to miss a deer but enough to miss a groundhog.

I personally think the ones who do this system best is Gunweks, by using the ballistics turret on the scope in conjunction with their rangefinder you get the best of both worlds. Rather than simply giving a range to the target the rangefinder has a ballistics calculator that matches your turrets. So in the above example rather than dialing for 600 you would dial for 590 and be dead on.

On the topic of the BDC I attached the calcs to get the exact drop for my dad's Varmint hunter reticle on his 30-06.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3206_1515361173916.jpg (734.7 KB, 5 views)
eastbank likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page