shots greater than say 300 yards - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

shots greater than say 300 yards

Drags had a good idea, although maybe a small crowd there are plenty of Long Range Shooter's here.

So what are some good load combos and distances for all types of rifles, let's keep it real, not my old 223 kills ground hogs at 800 yards any day of the week.

I don't have any factory gun that'll hold better than a 3" group at 500, that's a 5 shot group out of a 243 Winchester heavy varmint shooting 87 grain Sierra Blitz Kings, and that doesn't happen every day of the week. Furtherest kill shot was a ground hog at 550 with that combo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 03:16 AM

I've been using my bone stock except for a recrowning 22/250 for 30+ years. It has harvested tons of groundhogs in that time. The load I use is not hot by any standard and is around 3600 fps...probably has saved that old barrel but it still works fine.. I limit myself to around 375-400 yards absolute maximum with it, I can hit them much further but they usually always make it back to the hole and not being able to be used for coyote bait. Distance and humane kills are directly related to caliber, a reasonable rule would be 400 with the fastest .224's, 500 with the 6mms, 600 with the 6.5's, and 700-1000 with the .284's and bigger. These are not etched in stone but I think are pretty acceptable by most long range bangers. I think most unrecovers are made by .224's in that 275-375 range, they all are easy to hit the target with but some of the smaller cases don't provide enough velocity. The main goal should be to have fun and challenge you shooting skills and mirage and wind reading ability but we must keep in mind the humane part of the sport.
outofstater likes this.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 11:17 AM
The Man

Even though I killed enough milk jugs out to 1500 yards have to be honest here. Of a critter my one and only one yote was with a re-chambered 6 x284 at 525 yards. I was using 700 action, 243 barrel opened up to 6 x 284 , 85 sierra bthp with 53 grains of IMR 4350 at 3450 fps looking thru a lupy 6.5x20 with target torrents. # ground hogs from 500-550 with my custom 22-243. Custom Defiance action, jewell trigger, Broughton 26" lv 8 twist barrel. Using a 75 grain A-Max going around 3400 looking thru a 5.5x22x 40 NFX. Want so bad to do a 1k yard deer kill with my edge but opportunity has not giving me a high percentage shot yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 04:45 PM
Frequent Contributor

My longest kill on a deer was 850 yards using a 7x300 wby shooting a 168 gr. SMK and H870 powder and I have shot numerous deer between 400 and 850 yards with a 7x300 wby and 300 wby I used the 190 gr. SMK in the 300. Both rifles were Rem. 700 actions with 30" Hart barrels chambered by the late Howard Wolfe. Our longest kill with our long range group was 1150 yards and we used 7x300 wby, 300 wby, 30x378 wby and 6.5x06 rifles all chambered by Howard Wolfe. For groundhogs my longest kill was 600 yards with a 6.5x06 and the 140 gr. SMK and IMR 4350 powder and cases formed from Win. 270 brass. I have hunted groundhogs for 56 years and have used 22 rf, 220 swift, 22-250, 22 hornet, .223, 22x47 lapua, .264 win. mag, 7mm TCU, .204 ruger, 6mm rem, 6.5x06, 7x300 wby. I have shot about 10 groundhogs between 500 and 568 yards with the 22x47 with 80 gr. A-max bullets and H4831 powder and also shot one deer with the 22x47 at about 110 yards. Last summer I shot 104 groundhog between 20 and 568 yards, I had three kills over 500 with the longest being 568 yards, I really like the 22x47 with the 80 A-max as it is a humane killer, what I usually do for the groundhog season is use the 22x47 for shots past 250 yards and use the 204 or 223 for the closer shots and if I am fire forming for the 22x47 I will use it for some of the closer shots. I also shot in our local varmint shoot at the Lawrence Co. and McDonald sportsmen clubs and I help run the shoot at Lawrence Co. ShootLCSA.com - Home I use a 6 dasher and a 6BR for these shoots.
Drags
outofstater likes this.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 09:03 PM
The Man

Wow Drags, you pretty well done it all. My congrats to you!
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Drags, Do you have any photos of your deer hunting set ups, this is what we use. I have been considering getting one of the ultimate Tri-Pods for a little quicker set up and portability.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Buck Season 2013 (4).jpg (1.13 MB, 28 views)
nomad_archer and dragman like this.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 12:23 PM
The Man

What are you using for glasses on that tripod. I'm using Kowa Highlanders. Always wondered on a set up like this, if its legal to have your set up just like that with gun even unloaded. But to be sitting in the vehicle say 5-10 yards away with your orange on? They should not be able to say you used vechicle for locating purpose or your hunting out of vehicle. I do just wondering.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 01:48 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnermhr View Post
Drags, Do you have any photos of your deer hunting set ups, this is what we use. I have been considering getting one of the ultimate Tri-Pods for a little quicker set up and portability.
I have an Ultimate tripod. I also have a bench very similar to the one pictured.
The tripod works well, but not as well as the bench for rock steady holds. Especially with the heavier long barreled guns. They do have different wood supports for wider fore ends, and a flat one for using a rabbit ear bag. One thing about them is that they are very quick to use, and much easier to get out and set up as opposed to a bench. Especially if you are forced to move because of sun angle, the bench can be a pita to set up and break down multible times during a day.
We once killed 3 bucks in about the same number of minits or less, using the tripod, and ranging from 635 to just about 750.
One gun, 3 different standing shooters. We could never have reacted that quickly using a bench.
I have since personly designed and had built my own version of the tripod. It is a scaled down bench top being 14" wide at the widest point in the center, It tapers to 8" on both ends which is plenty for supporting the gun. But the whole top rotates 360 deg. so moving the actual gun isn't necessary except for elevation. That one is as solid as my bench even with the heavier guns. The ultimate tripod
rotates also of coarse. There is another tripod system made in Texas which a hunting buddy has. It could be a tad better than the ultimate tripod, but again not rock solid.
It would appear to me the bench pictured could have been made by Jim Burfield. At least the top section was judging by the appearance.

Last edited by yobuck 1; 01-13-2017 at 01:59 PM.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

The Bino's pictured are a cheap pair of 20 power Celestron's, Believe it or not I would much rather spend all day looking though them compared to my Swarovski Spotting scope. It doesn't fatigue your eye like the spotting scope. We set up the spotter to lock onto where we shoot and lead guys in with the bino's. As far as legality, I couldn't tell you for sure one way or the other, I've never been checked but a friend of mine is a deputy and he hunt's with the same set up.

I made the top, another friend of mine has one and I copied it, his very well have been made by Jim, at one time I knew but cannot remember. Here is a close up of it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Heavy Gun.JPG (1.34 MB, 15 views)
outofstater likes this.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 03:38 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnermhr View Post
The Bino's pictured are a cheap pair of 20 power Celestron's, Believe it or not I would much rather spend all day looking though them compared to my Swarovski Spotting scope. It doesn't fatigue your eye like the spotting scope. We set up the spotter to lock onto where we shoot and lead guys in with the bino's. As far as legality, I couldn't tell you for sure one way or the other, I've never been checked but a friend of mine is a deputy and he hunt's with the same set up.

I made the top, another friend of mine has one and I copied it, his very well have been made by Jim, at one time I knew but cannot remember. Here is a close up of it
After seeing the closeup pics, I could see that Jim didn't build that one. There have been numerous versions and all work well.
There are no restrictions pertaining to glasses. And by far the most popular setup for many years would be twin spotters, which today would include many guys using 2 Swarovskis. If that's the gun your
planning to use with the ultimate tripod system, id recommend not doing it. You wont be able to tighten the adjustment down enough to handle that weight. I would be only to glad to let you try mine if
you wait till I get back to PA next summer.

Last edited by yobuck 1; 01-13-2017 at 03:52 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page