Antelope rifle - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Antelope rifle

I'm about to do something dangerous.... ask for recommendations on a gun forum that can affect the bank account.

I have always wanted to do a antelope hunt and now can afford the cost and time. What I am going to do is build a rifle. I have a pretty good idea on most of the specs, however I need to discuss some things with folks that know.

The action will be a 700ADL. I needed another rifle for one of the kids for a pig hunt, so I bought a WM special ADL 06 with 50 cash back from Remington. Including tax and BG check I am under 350, which is less than I can get a action for. The current plan is to ship this to Hart and have it rebarreled, Hart Rifle Barrels | Our performance in the shooting sports is unparalleled by any other barrel maker. Doug #3 maybe #4, bead blasted and braked, Timmney 1.5-4 trigger, https://www.midwayusa.com/product/11...-1-1-2-to-4-lb in a McSwirly (60 blk 40 orange) Mcmillan Hunter https://mcmillanusa.com/mcmillan-rif...millan-hunter/

The jury is out on a couple things.
25-06, OR 6.5-06. The 25-06 is THE antelope cartridge, however the 6.5 will carry farther and this rifle should shoot. Downside to the 6.5 is its handload only. Ammo could be regulated off of airplanes, it could be separated from your stuff. If your rifle makes it and your ammo doesnt, you have a really awkward club.
Havent thought much on the scope, likely a Leupold 3.5-10 with a ranging reticle. I'm not a fan of over magnification and I think 10 would be about right.

This isnt happing this week, so fire away.

Every day you see it on the news. Another felons life needlessly spared by inaccurate fire.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 07:25 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I would take a look at the .257 Weatherby.

Life member NRA
Life member DAV
Life member VFW
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 05:54 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varmintmist View Post
Downside to the 6.5 is its handload only. Ammo could be regulated off of airplanes, it could be separated from your stuff. If your rifle makes it and your ammo doesnt, you have a really awkward club..
Not sure if there is anything to worry about here. I have checked handloaded ammo in the plastic ammo boxes alongside my gun in the same hard sided gun case maybe 100 times in the last 15 years or so. I know the airline rules say something like "must be in original mfr's box" or something like that. Heck I have even had the agent at the ticket counter ask specifically if my ammo is stored in the original mfr's box as he/she is looking right at the plastic aftermarket box. All I say is yes ma'am and we close the case and lock it. But the other thing you could do is put handloads in a factory ammo box and who is the wiser?

You aren't referring to the possibility of ammo in total being regulated off of airplanes, are you?
300 Norma Mag likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rflktrman View Post
I would take a look at the .257 Weatherby.
My first thought, so I would vote 25-06.
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 06:40 PM
Part of the Community

I guess because you are from Pennsylvania that Antelope sounds like an exotic animal to you.
But I have friends that lives out in Wyoming and Colorado and they will tell you that there has been a population explosion out there with Antelopes and that you no longer have to invest in any sort of special rifle or round to shoot Antelopes anymore.
In some places there is so many of them that you can walk out the front door of the motel and shoot them off the porch. They are quite literally on the porch.
My theory is a lot like Pennsylvania, where we had lot's of deer in the woods and lot's of hunters. Then someone realized that in 20 years we were only going to have half as many hunters and even more deer than before. So someone got the bright idea to permit each hunter to shoot multiple deer and to extend the season to 7 days instead of the traditional 2 or 3. Eventually the hunters did in the herd themselves and now we only have half as many hunters as before and very little deer!
I would bet that even if those counties with Antelope problems was to allow hunters to shoot them from the window of their vehicle and shoot multiple Antelope per a year, it would probably take them 20 years to reduce the size of the herd, just because the herd reproduces faster than the hunters can shoot them - at the present time.
Any .243, .270, 308 Winchester, 30-06, 35 Wheelen style rifle will kill an Antelope with a box of factory loads, which can be purchased at most any WalMart in the USA.
No need to pay good money to haul shells around - like we did 30 / 40 years ago.
30 / 40 yrs ago, there wasn't a WalMart in every town like there is today!
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerbo View Post
I guess because you are from Pennsylvania that Antelope sounds like an exotic animal to you.
But I have friends that lives out in Wyoming and Colorado and they will tell you that there has been a population explosion out there with Antelopes and that you no longer have to invest in any sort of special rifle or round to shoot Antelopes anymore.
Dude, you are really not a good enabler are you?

Not that exotic, but one that I have wanted to do for a while.

Quote:
Any .243, .270, 308 Winchester, 30-06, 35 Wheelen style rifle will kill an Antelope with a box of factory loads, which can be purchased at most any WalMart in the USA.
I know that I can get out far enough with my 06, if I know the range, I can dial the drop. However, this is something I have wanted to do for a long long time. Build a very accurate rifle and take a antelope. A friend of a friend has hunted them and said that he will hook me up with a outfitter that does a double, antelope and mule deer. Depending on how it goes, there could be other stuff in the future as long as I am up to it. I have a buddy who is headed on a caribou hunt. That might be something I could get into.

I have the donor action, and the bottom line is I am building, not out of need, but because I want to.
drags likes this.

Every day you see it on the news. Another felons life needlessly spared by inaccurate fire.

post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by xarcher View Post
Not sure if there is anything to worry about here. I have checked handloaded ammo in the plastic ammo boxes alongside my gun in the same hard sided gun case maybe 100 times in the last 15 years or so. I know the airline rules say something like "must be in original mfr's box" or something like that. Heck I have even had the agent at the ticket counter ask specifically if my ammo is stored in the original mfr's box as he/she is looking right at the plastic aftermarket box. All I say is yes ma'am and we close the case and lock it. But the other thing you could do is put handloads in a factory ammo box and who is the wiser?

You aren't referring to the possibility of ammo in total being regulated off of airplanes, are you?
You never know what batfeieio is going to do next. It probably wont happen, so it isnt a real worry and I guess if you ship in the case the baggage guys can just lose everything at once.

As a question, since it is handloaded, arent you the manufacturer and dont you own the box? Might even be a tick in the collom for the 6.5-06. There are no factory rounds, so I would be the original manufacturer.

Last edited by Varmintmist; 12-09-2016 at 09:37 PM.
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 09:54 AM
The Man

Is the 6.5-06 that much ballistically superior to the .25-06 at any sane and most insane distances to justify the (somewhat) extra effort ??

I know I ended up with my .25-06 sorta by accident................... I was going to get a .240 Weatherby..............til I ran the numbers and found that the difference in drop between the two was 2 measly inches............. at 700 yards !!!!! Always wanted a .240 Bee. And I reload nearly EVERY brass centerfire round I fire. But I decided the difference between the two wasn't worth the difference in component cost and availability.

demokraten saugen
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strut10 View Post
Is the 6.5-06 that much ballistically superior to the .25-06 at any sane and most insane distances to justify the (somewhat) extra effort ??
Its kind of a 308, 30-06 thing. The 6.5 will do everything the 25-06 will, only a little better. BC is higher, so they will hold in wind better, SD is higher so you have a up to elk or small moose rifle.

post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 08:09 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varmintmist View Post
Its kind of a 308, 30-06 thing. The 6.5 will do everything the 25-06 will, only a little better. BC is higher, so they will hold in wind better, SD is higher so you have a up to elk or small moose rifle.
Yep. Got that. I guess my question was more rhetorical than anything......... Point being, yes, the 6.5-06 IS somewhat ballistically superior to the .25-Oh. But is the difference worth it (as far as being a handload only sorta deal) for the small advantage gained by going to the 6.5 ??

Lord knows I have MY share of rifles in chamberings that are basically handload or go broke propositions..........

demokraten saugen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page