A Shame - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

A Shame

It's a shame this forum died , when it first started it was fun to see equipment and hunting set ups. I enjoyed reading stories of guys I knew and hunted with but we some how got muscled out. I guess we can now read where the next long range match is.
MattyG58 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 08:02 AM
Frequent Contributor

Yes it is, I enjoy sharing sharing experiences, equipment, techniques and reloading practices for long range hunting and target shooting.

I believe the guys, me included, that post long range matches are trying to present opertunities for people to see first hand what it's all about. It's hard to imagine someone has the equipment and ability shoot a 1.5" 5 shot group at 500 yards or a 5" 10 shot group at a 1000.

There are a ton of local groung hog matches the have factory classes which offer an affordable, fun and challenging way to experience first hand, long range shooting.

I think successful long range shooting begins in the reloading room, those practices are far more involved than stuffing powder bullet and primers into a case for the average deer hunter. the moderators have their hands full as it is but I think when talking about reloading for this it should kept in this forum. Too many times the guy that's happy getting 3 shots on a pie plate disses what an experienced marksman has to offer, and there are plenty of both on here.

Successful long range shooting and hunting takes expensive equipment and lots of time.

I'd love to see this category take off again, I think the average, couple of times a year shooter and reloader could pick up a lot tips to improve group size
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 01:00 PM
Frequent Contributor

Hi scrapper, I agree when we first started this forum we had many long range hunting stories from Pa. and other hunters. After deer season I will start a thread asking hunters to post there long range hunting experiences. I also agree with gunnerhmr that the long range matches (groundhog shoots) should be posted here.
Drags
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 05:57 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I am not prejudiced against this forum, but there are other forums on the web that are devoted strictly to reloading and long range hunting. It just makes sense to me to be able to reach a broader wealth of experience on something like that.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drags View Post
Hi scrapper, I agree when we first started this forum we had many long range hunting stories from Pa. and other hunters. After deer season I will start a thread asking hunters to post there long range hunting experiences. I also agree with gunnerhmr that the long range matches (groundhog shoots) should be posted here.
Drags
We have that thread already.Look at the sticky up top of this forum.No one posts in there anymore.Do you guys and gals think people blow off stickies after they are members for a period of time?I use to love checking the views where that long range hunting took place.Some of the rigs they used were awesome.Drags it is your thread that's a sticky already.

Bob Seger,till it shines.

Last edited by Hiamovi; 12-09-2016 at 06:11 PM. Reason: added info
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

I agree with all i enjoy reading match results especially the ones that include calibers. You can learn a lot from match results , just would like to see hunting setups as you can learn what is worth looking into. Wasn't trying to cause trouble just enjoyed reading forum.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 07:38 PM

What I was getting at is I don't think people pay attention to stickies.If wanted I'll try and remove that sticky and we can start off fresh.I don't usually check stickies often and I would suspect others don't either.

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 07:32 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiamovi View Post
What I was getting at is I don't think people pay attention to stickies.If wanted I'll try and remove that sticky and we can start off fresh.I don't usually check stickies often and I would suspect others don't either.
No need to delete that sticky it was the one that got this forum started. My suggestion would be to start a new 2016 hunting experience thread.
Drags
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 08:45 AM

Fair enough.I always enjoyed reading those and seeing some of those long range hunting rigs.So if anyone wants to post some lets get it a little more active here.Hunting and long range shooting stories/info is why this forum is here.

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 10:27 PM
The Man

Could someone explain sticky to me? Hope that is not to dumb of a question. Yes I remember when this forum first started it was neat we was given it. I actually felt little important guys asking me for advise. I am a long range shooter/ hunter but not a competitor. In the early 90's I shot on the benchrest circuit for a few years of 100 and 200 yards shoots. I don't care to go back to it but enjoy my long range shooting with a good friend. As someone stated it takes good equipment to do this your not going to go out with typical close range woods rifle and make it happen to be consistent. It also take some time in the loading room along with some science and tech. equipment.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page