Ridgway benchrest championship match - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2016, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Ridgway benchrest championship match

Hey guys, if your in the area or just want a good road trip this weekend stop by the Ridgway rifle club. They're putting on the 2 day championship match this weekend. There will be a lot of really cool guns and equipment to look at.

They'll be shooting silhouettes, crows at 850, groundhogs at 900 bobcats at 950 and coyotes at 1000 yards. If you come by at lunch time they have am awesome catered lunch for a very reasonable price.

Unfortunately you won't be able to compete because of pre registration but it's pretty cool to see

Saturday I'll be on bobcat 7 bench and Sunday I'll be on coyote 7 bench, stop by if you want to chat about what's going on.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2016, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Re: Ridgway benchrest championship match

Actually, you could probably sign up the day of, but you'd have to stay up the rest of the night to reload enough ammo
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2016, 06:12 AM

Good Luck to the best long rangers ever put together, the MCSC crew...hopefully Jim Scouten will be filming/interviewing again this season, kind of awesome seeing HPAs gunnemhr on his outdoor channel show !!! You guys who need to see something different, get your buddies and have a little road trip, you'll be stunned at the entire spectacle and that's guaranteed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Outofstater, not wanting to hijack to 300 thread I'll answer here, MCSC is Mifflin County Sportsmans Club. They hold ground hog matches on a regular basis. 6dasher used to shoot there a lot and did quite well along with a great group of guys. A bunch of who still compete and shot at Ridgway this past weekend. The group has gotten a little smaller with the increased cost and difficulty of finding reloading components. But it is still very active.

Dasher, the group did quite well. Light gun taking overall 1st Joe Stewart, 2nd Rod Morton and 3rd myself. Jesse Grove took 3rd in AA Class. Heavy gun AAA class Jeff Gates took 1st, I grabbed 2nd. Rod got high Senior. A young friend of Rods, Nate Glover took 1st in Master and won a nice scope in a prize shoot off.

Conditions were as bad as I ever shot in. 6 foot wind shifts between 1st and 2nd bank of animals. Yes, feet not inches, it was wild.

Anyone who wants to dabble in long range shooting or hunting should really load about 75 rounds and come up. It's a real eye opener and a great way to practice and learn extreme long range techniques, not to mention more fun than one person should experience
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 11:21 PM

CONGRATULATIONS to you and all the MCSC long range bangers, Being the range master for 10 years and shooting along side all of you I never doubt your abilities against anyone on the planet at any distance..very very impressive!! The HPA members I'm sure wish you a CONGRATULATIONS as well...we are honored that you take your time to keep us informed, "thank you"... 6 feet of wind draft at 900 yards shooting at a tiny groundhog is more than most mortals could even conceive of doing, let alone in bench rest competition !!!! CONGRATULATIONS ...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 11:16 PM

Let's do a little math, assume the scope has 1/4 clicks, at 900 yards each click would be worth 2.25 inches of movement, it would take a little more than 5 clicks to move the impact about a foot, then to move it to account for 6 feet of wind drift it would be around 30 clicks..then you got to watch for gusts, mirage and then try to hit as many standing groundhogs as you could out of 10...the hog is about 4 or 5 inches wide..all the time with a time limit with around 30 other guns going off around you, sounds like fun, not for the quezzy !!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

That just about sums it up, but!!! I like to shoot fast to help beat conditions or at least to minimize shooting in a change so instead of clicking between animals I hold off and squeeze the trigger. With a "Tactical" scope, I hate that word, it isn't all that difficult, the problem is I only have one of them. The scope on the light gun is a fine crosshair and the scope on the WSM is a dot, I like the WSM in windy condtions, who wouldn't, a big 200grain class bullet hammering downrange in the 2900fps range is hard to beat. But the Dasher has a "Tactical" reticle and I can shoot it faster because it has less recoil.

Shooting in those conditions is very difficult, challenging and a whole lot of fun once you get it figured out, figuring it out is the hard part.

I remember one time you said at a match, a thousands here and a thousands there, weigh powder, primers, cases spending hours to make sure everything is PERFECT, and one little puff of wind and it's all over!! That is my favorite saying to this day
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 09:02 PM

Maybe I'll have it etched on my tombstone !!! LOL...sad part is it's true...all of the competitors due the best they can to make sure it's all about as perfect as you can make it and there's that little cross breeze and everything's gone. I wonder why they haven't posted the scores, their usually very prompt, maybe they were just a little overwhelmed this time

In all those 10 years of watching over 16 benches my favorite all time phrase often yelled out was "that's impossible"... I love hearing that at a shooting match, Congratulations again !!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 01:41 PM
Part of the Community

Finally got time to read results this morning. Congrats to all it looks like a tough game with the way targets are made, i can easily see how a small breeze could make this game tough.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page