Shooting schools - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Shooting schools

Just curious how many people would consider going to a long range shooting school?

To Crush your enemys, See them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of there women.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 06:19 AM

Re: Shooting schools

The only advantage is having access to ranges that permit this kind if shooting....you for the most part have the same knowedge of about what should happen but no place long enough in the east to try using that knowledge. We have some ranges that go to a 1000 or so but not many much further. It's only a matter of scope adjustment for the most part and they use mini-computers-range finders to do this. I think that most guys who shoot to 500/1000 easily will adapt are farther ranges, quickly.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 10:48 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Well thanks to the internet there are more and more places offering these type classes.
On another site there was recently a guy who drove from Detroit to lower Virginia to learn to shoot long range.
He was both thrilled and amased he could hit steel targets with a 243 at 1000 yds.
For the most part I see little to no interest in using the new found skill for hunting, but simply shooting and certain tyes of competetion.
I personaly view it as a good thing for those having the desire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

I am tempted to build a gun specifically teach and offer a class since I have access to 1200 yards really close to my house. I also have access to 2500 yards about an hour away but that would be to hard to do all the time. Not trying to really make lots of money or anything but I think it could be fun if people had any real interest.

To Crush your enemys, See them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of there women.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 07:47 AM

The PA 1000 club at Williamsport used to put on long range shooting clinics. Check it at:

http://www.pa1000yard.com/

and hit the blue contact button.

benchrest
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 12:20 PM
The Man

Yes and no. I have been in to LR shooting / hunting for around -7 years now. I have a friend with in 50 minutes we shoot at his place 1k- 1300 yards. When I first got in to it I purchased a video from Shawn Carlock of Defensive Edge , he is a gunsmith that developed my 338 Edge. Also he has a shooting school but his video really helped. I know there is nothing like being there but sometimes with these basics then a little common sense will go a long way. His shooting school I would love to go to. its the real deal in rough country of Idaho. The drawl back price I could afford but over 1k. The real kicker is most of these are out west meaning your driving across country with your guns, etc. Not to many times you will have the chance of a buddy going with you like on a hunting trip. It would be rather hard to me to fly out with all of your LR gear. So yes I would like to but I wont for the reasons listed.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 03:23 PM
Part of the Community

http://www.wolfprecision.net/long-ra...ng-school.html Never been here or even heard of it. But saw it online. Not too far from me about an hour or so drive.

2C/2E
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 01:34 AM
The Man

Not bad about an hour for me also.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 12:25 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

A $35 per year membership at the Ridgeway rifle club would be a good thing for anyone desiring to learn this.
The range is open every day for members. There are lots of covered benches with distances out to 1000 yds.
Lots of guys put clay birds on the banks at various distances and practice. A 308 or a 260 with even a cheaper version scope would be all the equiptment necessary. A video from someone
like Shawn Carlock would be a good thing to start with.
But actual shooting is what is required.
Lots of very good shooters hang out at Ridgway even on weekdays, so there would be no shortage of advise if needed.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 06:36 PM
The Man

Nothing like sending some down range!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page