.264 Winchester Magnum - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

.264 Winchester Magnum

I would like to get some comments on the .264 Win. Mag. Comments like hunting and shooting experiences long, medium and short range.
Joe
Being the deer season is over some hunting stories would be great.

Dead groundhogs tell no tales!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 10:18 PM

Re: .264 Winchester Magnum

It's always been my understanding that the 7mm Mag and the 264 are almost identical on ballistics . Only reason the 7mm got to be more popular was because Remington pushed theirs harder from the factory . My life long friend has hunted with one for 30+ years . Excellent caliber for deer .
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 06:55 AM

Joe, the .264 is a fine long range banger!! Those long slender bullets with very high bc's really shine past 500 yards. With all the recent talk in competition shooting better quality bullets are showing up but you don't see many sitting at the 1000 bench rest matches, I suspect throat erosion and spidercracks happen fairly fast and shooting a 100 shots every couple of matches gets a little expensive with barrel changes and rechambers. The only advantage the .284 would have is heavier bullets and more than likely longer barrel life, but with both that's about the limit of powder to bore diameter and the problems that occur. The soft barrels produced back in the 60's gave this cartridge a bad name and it never really caught on and for the most part has been in the "dead file" since.

PS.. I remember being at a local sportsmen's club back in the 60's with my dad during deer season with all those woolrichies hanging on the racks listening to all the old timers discussing rifles and cartridges..most were .35 rem and /06 users with a few 300 savages..."yeah those new magnums are TOO FAST"...my brothers 25/06 just released, "TOO LIGHT"...your not huntin' groundhogs sonny the old miners would say !! GOD I'd give anything to be there again !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

I agree 6-DASHER those were truly the good old days. I started this thread to have a Christmas discussion and because the .264 was my first center fire rifle, and I also shot my first buck with it a small six point I still have the rack in my cellar. I know the .264 has negatives but the people that have them love them and the used ones in good shape bring good prices. I believe that they have the "cool" factor like the .220 swift. I believe that true long range hunting started for the most part in Pa. and the .264 is one of the guns that's fits the bill. By the way I bought my .264 when Winchester first brought them out a pre 64 mod. 70 Westerner I paid $115.00 a Sol's in Aliquippa Pa. I sure wish I still had that .264.
Joe

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 02:32 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

The Woolrich outfit i had was aquired in the late 40s from another hunter in our group. It
was a size 38 and he had outgrown it. By the time i reached my mid 20s i had also. Last year i took a trip to the Woolrich store and lo and behold there on display was a brand new outfit just like the one i had 60 years ago.
Tempted as i was, i chose not to buy it.
If i could buy another 55 Chevy like the one i had for an every day driver, i wouldnt buy that either.
Weatherby recently decided to introduce a 6.5x300 chambering for their rifles.
Many of us know that cartridge was a very popular long range cartridge in places like PA 50 years ago.
Those who had one and moved on did so for a reason, and no doubt many wouldnt be going back even if they could.
The best thing about the good old days at least in my opinion is, we were alot younger.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

I have a .264 story, years ago a long-range hunter that I
know bought a used Rem. 700 in .264 for the action the gun had a factory 24" stainless blued barrel. Before taking it apart he decided to shoot it, from his property he could shoot out to about 800 yards and the gun shot so well he decided to keep it as it was. He used it for medium range deer hunting and elk hunting out west and killed several elk with it, I think he used the 140 gr. SMK as the 140 vld and 142 SMK weren't available then. I know a guy that has one but he won't sell the gun. If anyone has any pictures along with there .264 stories that would be great.
Joe

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 02:37 PM

Guess you'll have to keep an eye and an ear open...check traders guides especially now after season, estate sales and death notices-someone my inherit one that you know about, standard gun shows,one in Butler in a few weeks, used racks at the big stores, sometimes they just miss one, beagle clubs, shot gunners don't care much bout them rifles-picked up a 141 in 30 rem that way myself, classified adds in local papers, put up an index card at giant eagles-works surprising well with old widows who have them laying around, bars and barber shops, barbers know a lot of guys..sooner or later it'll happen... Do not laugh at those index cards, lots of ole' grannies shoppe with their kids an read those message areas..

Big Green and Winchester tried to solve this problem with the throat with some of the first stainless barres ever, that's the one you want, they have a very soft appearance to the metal .. Frank
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 04:06 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Sorry to have injected my personal feelings on
some of the things we used in the past Drags.
Had i known you were actually looking for a 264
i would have responded differently.
So happens i have a close friend who is also a hunting buddy who owns a pre 64 Win in that cartridge.
He has a soft spot for pre 64s and owns quite a few.
He also has been known to sell one from time to time.
Ill check with him to see if he has any interest in selling it.
If so ill pm you his email or phone #.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Thanks Ernie and 6-dasher but I started this thread because a .264 was my first center fire rifle and to have a discussion over the holidays not because I wanted to buy one, but if the right one came along you never know.
Joe

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 08:41 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I understand completly Drags. My first rifle was
a used model 94 win in 3030 bought for me by my father in 1948. I shot my first buck with that
gun that same year. Both my father and older brother also had 94 Winchesters. He who has the
power to give, also has the power to take away.
Much to my chagrin, my father in a time of a need for cash sold all those 94 Winchesters.
He later the same year when his income stabilized, bought me a brand new Rem. model 141 in 35 rem. which had been the gun of my dreams. It cost $104.95 at a store on Mill st.
in Bristol PA. which is just downstream of the home of old Billy Penn.
He also bought 2 new 99 Savages for him and my brother. About 10 years or so later, i maybe foolishly traded the 141 for a new 760 in 3006. But even back then in the late 50s i was seeing the benefit of the larger cartridges in the area we hunted.
It wasent long after that when Savage legitimised being a lefty, and i bought my first bolt gun in 3006.
That was also a short lived situation and i traded that to a guy in North Carolina for a
Lefty rem 700 in 7 mag. as a result of seeing his add in shotgun news.
Does anybody even remember shotgun news lol.
He claimed the 7 mag kicked too much and he wanted to trade for an 06.
Apperently he had never shot an 06 lol.
Anyway i agreed to give him 25 dollars and my Savage for his 700. My brother made the switch at a rest area on rt 95 on a trip to Florida later that winter.
The guy was so happy he even gave my brother a nice bottle of wine for me which i never saw.
I dont actualy remember what ever happened to the 7 mag.
Probably Howard Wolfe used the action for something else i did. Anyway as you can see, ive never been very nostalgic about things. And even at this late stage of my life, im still not.
If i could be pointed to where my old 94 Win actually was, i would probably want to go try and buy it. Same would go for the actual 35 rem i had.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page