My Wifes first Buck - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

My Wifes first Buck

We started the day heading out with our good friend Jason to a spot where we had seen a few nice bucks prior to season trying to get my wife in her first year of hunting a buck..We pulled into the spot and unloaded the bigeyes, tripods, gun bench and the rifle. We had a custom 375-408 that day.Got quietly set up before first light. The yardage ranged from 450 to 1100 yards. At first light,before shooting light my buddy picked up some deer moving up the hill with his Swarovski big eyes. He told me where they were and I found them soon after. They were all does. The rest of the day we had deer moving all over the hill a few non legal bucks. About 2:30 that afternoon I picked up movement on a small flat at 470 yards. It was a small 6 point. All I could see was from his eyes up. I told Jason and my wife got them both on the buck. And being my wifes first deer we all decided to take him when he got up. While Jason and I glassed for other deer my wife was a trooper, she stayed on the buck for over an hour relaying every, and I do mean every move he made. HIS EAR TWITCHED, HE IS SLEEPING, HIS EYES OPENED,HE IS, well you get the point. I caught movement less than 50 yards to the right of the buck she was watching. It was another buck, a MUCH bigger buck. I guessed him at 20" wide. After 10 minutes of looking at this buck, through over 10,000 dollars of optics between Jason and I. We came to the conclusion it was a 20" wide 4 POINT. That's right 4 point. 5 mins later my wife says he's getting up. Back on the 6 point. The clicks were already on the Nightforce. We loaded the 375-408 and gave the go ahead. Dawn got behind the gun closed the bolt and dropped the pin. The buck kicked and ran, stumbled, rolled straight down the hill and out of sight.As im watching the buck through the tree tops going down hill all I kept hearing is DID I GET HIM DID I GET HIM? Me trying to stay on the buck as he disappeared into the tree tops in front of us i forgot to answer her. I came to as the large stick she threw at me connected with my ribs. And I said yes Dear you got him! Being late in the day we opted to pull out for the night and recover him at first light in the morning. Where this buck was shot, there is no way to drag them out. The side we were standing on is so steep below where we were set up you are on all fours 80% of the time coming back up. The next morning we got there just at day break and Dawn and I started down the hill. Sliding on our butts most of the way. Jason talked us in to where we had last seen the deer before we lost sight of him. Eagle eye Dawn picked up the blood trail. We were heading up hill when Jason called us on the radio saying he could see the buck.. Below us about 20 yards. Sure enough, there was Dawns First buck. After a few hugs and kisses, I grabbed the horns and down the hill we both went. With my beautiful wife laughing like a hyena watching me and HER buck roll and stumble 100 feet down the hill. I get to the bottom. By this time Jason is half way down to us cussing like a sailor because he spent half his trip to us on his butt sliding. After a few pictures and some hugs. We then quartered the deer stuffed it in back packs. And Jason and I spent the next 45 mins clawing our way to the top. But I will give her credit, she climbed that hill with a backpack on her back with a front shoulder in it. The head in her hand and a smile on her face the whole way to the top.When I got to the top, I really wanted to tell her how I really felt. But I couldn't. Lol. I was so proud of her that day. Its a day I will never forget. Dawn's first buck

Boyd Heaton
Clinton County Coonhounds
570-660-6167
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 03:57 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: My Wifes first Buck

Good story Boyd, what bullet do you shoot in the 375-408?
Drags

Dead groundhogs tell no tales!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

350gr MatchKing

Boyd Heaton
570-660-6167
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 08:19 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Boyd, you need to get hold of some (Muletape).
Weve drug 2 at a time up from the same type spots your describing. I have over 300 yds of it spooled on a garden hose reel just like fishing line. Its then strapped to the spare
tire on the jeep. When you go down the hill take
the end of the tape with you. A few wraps around
the bumper and thats all there is to it. You will need a choker strap and a pulley if its not a straight pull. Mine is 1800lb weight and will easily pull a whole elk up hill.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 08:19 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Great story , nice buck , now dont stay away for so long this time.

Save a wolf , take one to the taxidermist
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by yobuck 1
Boyd, you need to get hold of some (Muletape).
Weve drug 2 at a time up from the same type spots your describing. I have over 300 yds of it spooled on a garden hose reel just like fishing line. Its then strapped to the spare
tire on the jeep. When you go down the hill take
the end of the tape with you. A few wraps around
the bumper and thats all there is to it. You will need a choker strap and a pulley if its not a straight pull. Mine is 1800lb weight and will easily pull a whole elk up hill.
Ernie, thanks for the tip...We have shot a few bucks over there, and it's a [email protected]@h session every time we do it....And we swear we are never shooting a deer over there again...LOL

Boyd Heaton
570-660-6167
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhollowarcher
Great story , nice buck , now dont stay away for so long this time.
Thank you... And I my stick around for a while this time

Boyd Heaton
570-660-6167
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 10:01 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Works very well for bears also Boyd. Another good setup is a Simpson chainsaw winch. A little
pricey, but hey if you can afford Swaros, that
would be chump change lol.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Ernie, have a buddy wth the chainsaw thing. But it draws a lot of attention in hunting season. lol.... I don't have Swaros my buddy Jason does I have a set of Vortex Razor HD 85's and my wife uses a Set of Meopta S82's Pic of wife's big eyes

Boyd Heaton
570-660-6167
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 11:59 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Very nice glasses Boyd. Looks like a Buhay bracket,
did you do those yourself or are they from Lost Creek?
The bracket is an exact copy of Randy Yohns except Randy
rounded off the front rings. I was down there yesterday
actually and they had several sets of 80mm Leupolds there.
The brackets had round rings, and when i commented on that
i was told others are building them also.
It seems the guns get bigger and the glasses get better, and everything is much much more expensive. But what stays the same is that the deer are still shot at the same places
and distances we somehow managed to do it 40 years ago. lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page