Scope advice - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Scope advice

I won a 25-06 at a gun raffle and I mainly want to use it for varmint, but I would like to put a decent scope on it. I plan on reloading and shooting at 400-500yds or so, so I would like some advice on a reasonably priced scope, that would be good at that range
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 07:22 PM

Re: Scope advice

[s][/s]Well that all depends on what you mean by reasonable. If your going to just big game hunt a good ole' Leupold 3 X 9 will work fine, just saw one in Outdoor NEWS for $169.00, can't beat that. Great Nikon's, Leupolds and other variables of different powers are priced under $500.00... Now if you want to get serious and want to do some long range target, varmint hunting and have $1400.00 to spend the Night force 10 X 42 is the way to go.....as usual, money rules the roost !!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Thanks for the advice, I still have a while to look and decide. And also decide if the gun is worth a nicer scope
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 03:43 PM

Hey there Mr. Beale . How's that elk scouting going ?

About your scope selection , if your going to push beyond 400 yds. , I've found that a good quality scope ( with HASH marks on your cross hairs ) would serve best . I'm in that ( beyond 400 yd dilemma ) right now with a 6.5 x 20 Luepold that only has the fine cross hairs . I've found the Vortex line of scopes interesting for my next purchase . They seem to have everything we're looking for at a decent price point .

Best of luck to you and please tell mom & dad I said hello .
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 08:52 PM
The Man

My last scope nearly ten years prior, had cost in the low $200 range.
I worried if my eyesight had failed any and I tried a similar scope at the big box store. Surprised a similar scope would have filled my need.
I was in the fishing dept. and I noted how much scopes had gone up in price.
"Oh, that's just the newbies getting a scope ready for eight hundred yards."

I'm still waiting to get a 800 yard shot.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 08:55 AM
The Man

Shooting at small targets at 400-500 yards demands something like a Leupold 6.5-20 which can be bought used in the $500 range (just paid that for one). Ain't no free lunch in the optics world.

Watch the auction sites. Leupold has the best warranty in the business-hands down...and they're made in the USA...
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 11:40 AM

I'm not sure how people shoot varmits ( groundhogs ? ) beyond 400yds with anything less than a 16 X - 18 X power . 10 x 42 ? . Their eyes must be much better than mine .

On a side note , I'm still using an old Bushnell 500 rangefinder . Which is tough to range g-hogs beyond 300 yds . I was told by a long range shooter that the Nikon Monarch Gold 1200 yard rangefinder was one of the best at picking out small targets in featureless fields . Yes , there are more expensive & better finders out there at twice the price , but for varmits the Nikon works very well .
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

I will be keeping an eye on the auction sites for this purchase I am thinking.. Probably too much money to drop right now for something im not even gonna worry about til next spring. But thanks for all the input.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 02:56 PM
RIZ
Diehard Outdoorsman

i would shoot that gun now with what ever optics you have and see if it hits consistently at a nominal range. Then, if you keep it, get what you want.

RIZ
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 02:06 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

Leupold is good, but the sun doesn't rise and set on them. I've heard more and more grumbling about QC on Leupolds from folks whose opinions and experiences I trust. I'm not swearing them off, but I do look past them.

A great option for this rifle, imho, is a Meopta.

I own scopes made by Swarovski, Zeiss, Minox, Leupold, and Nikon, as well as Meopta. I own binos from Zeiss and Meopta. My Meopta optics are hands down my favorite.

With some careful shopping, you can get a Meopta MeoPro (rebranded at Cabelas as their "Euro" scope) for great prices and they'll be superb performers on a 25-06.

Just another direction to look when making your decision.

And not all Leupold's stuff is made in the US, btw. Some is, some isn't.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page