Rifle Thoughts - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-09-2015, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Rifle Thoughts

I want to see what peoples' opinions are on the Remington 700 Long Range Model. Either in 25-06 or 30-06.

I'm leaning toward the 30-06 since it's a little bigger and should be enough for most game in North America. Not to mention, there is a lot of information out there on handloading everything from 110-220 grain bullets, etc...

Not really looking at the 300 Win Mag or the 7mm Rem Mag just because they're more expensive to shoot and a little too much gun for some of the smaller game.

Basically, I'm in the market to buy a solid entry level gun that I can chase critters with out to 500-600yards (Maybe even further someday.) while still being able to keep costs down and meat/wallet damage to a minimum.

Any tips, info, or insight is appreciated! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 10:09 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Rifle Thoughts

Excellent factory accuracy is a crap shoot. You may or may not get it. 30-06/would be a good choice of caliber but for long range work it should have a faster twist barrel. 1/11 at least with 1/10 probably being better.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 11:34 AM

More expensive?? Not really, just handload..same primer, bullets and only a little more powder..but the ballistics especially for log distance hunting are vastly improved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 12:13 AM

I think if I were going to get a long range deer rifle a 25-06 would be a good choice. A 10 twist .308 and a good scope with adjustable turrets and a good deal of practice would work just fine as well. Deer don't need a whole lot of thumping. Unless your setting over fields or shooting across valleys to the other side long range opportunities don't happen very often. Exactly 0 times in my 48 years of hunting. 300 yards is a long way in the woods but not very long in a field.

I was never in the military but snipers have been using .308/30-06 for long range shooting for years when other cartridges could have been chosen. I always did like a .308 myself.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 04:22 PM
Frequent Contributor

You'll have a much better bullet selection with the 30 cal over the 25, bigger longer bullet equals higher BC (Ballistic Coefficient), accuracy in Long Range is all about BC and to some degree velocity. I'd seriously consider the Win Mag or my favorite the WSM Like 6-Dasher mentioned, expense isn't really an issue, a little more powder is all.

You can always use lighter loads in WSM but you can never get the velocity equal the WSM or Win Mag with a 30-06. I was never a 30 cal fan until I got into the long range game, they're proven to be accurate, hard hitting and flat shooting. Downrange velocity and Energy are hard to beat.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page