Training for long range - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Training for long range

Gents,

I have a post in the big game forum regarding my first elk hunt booked for fall 2016.

I have never really shot much over 100yds, and on this hunt their may be 300-400 yard shot opportinies according to the guide, or maybe 30l lol. Either case I need to practice in case I am in a long range situation. Luckily I have some time.

Unfortunately, every club I have found with a long range is not public and has a freeze on memberships,.

Does anyone know any clubs or ranges in the Pittsburgh area that you can' pay to shoot, or any clubs with long ranges open for membership?

Thanks for any info guys!

Dan

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 09:55 AM

Re: Training for long range

Jackson Twp near Ebensburg right on Rt. 22 has a 500 yard range, I don't think there's any freeze on memberships. Nice guys there and a super place to shoot.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 10:01 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

You should find some farms that will let you shoot groundhogs. In my opinion there is no better practice than little brown balls of fur. Shoot at them the same way you will be hunting/shooting on you elk hunt. Shoot in every field position that you think you may encounter. Plus, it's a heck of a lot of fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thanks for the tips guys! I'll try to find some info on that range today 6-dasher.

And Roboz, I think that's great advice, I still need to make sure I can hit a broadside if a barn at 300yds though lol. Those furry guys are challenging targets at long ranges!

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Roboz, that range looks nice! Unfortunately, it's about 1.5 hours from my house here in Pittsburgh, making getting there with any kind of consistency difficult. If anyone else has any suggestions that are within 30-60 minutes of the city, I'm all ears! Thanks.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 12:02 PM

What's 1 1/2 hours for what your embarking on. Its all four lane and you'll enjoy the scenery. Club meets the 1st and 3rd Mondays at around 7 to pay you dues and get your card and gate combos. There's a lot of guys who shoot there that do what
your doing and lots of advice is given. They have great concrete benches and target holders...its worth your trip.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

True, i also found another range, Lawrence County Sportsman Association, Which is just shy of an hour away, I emailed them to see if they are taking new members, but they have a rifle range out to 600 as well.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 11:01 PM
Part of the Community

Greensburg sportsmans has 500 yard shoots every month. Costs 10.00 to shoot 40 rounds plus 10 sighter shots.
All prone from bipod or front rest.

NRA Life member
Mid-Range match director: Reade Range
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 02:05 AM
The Man

I was the one who told you to jump to this forum for good advise on shooting vs. general hunting. These guys here will send you in the right path. I don't know where you live but if you have to drive a little element of the beast. This game recquires a lot of effort and patience. I don't have the perk of a close range due to a closed membership like 5 year waiting list and they can kiss my azz. I have a good shooting buddy 50minute drive and we shoot at his house out to 1500 yards. If you can find something close to you to start at 400 or longer will be good. If your starting out your going to need help and most guys at these ranges will help you out.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

outofstater, thanks for all the info. I just applied to a club that about 55min from my place, which is only 20 minutes further then i am currently driving, and they have nice facilities, and a range out to 600yds. I talked to them via email and it seems that there is no waitlist, you send an app and a check, and go to the next meeting where they go over the rules and regs, seems like a dream come true for me!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page