made the shot of my life this weekend - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 01:12 AM Thread Starter

made the shot of my life this weekend

My friend in TN invited me to his range "the dasher dome" this weekend. We started at the 800 yd plate, got zeroed an moved over and knocked the steel groundhog over a few times with my 6br, 6x47 L and even my factory 700 VLS in 243. As the wind died and mirage went down, we moved uphill to the long range bench.

The hay was up everywhere but he found a fresh pond bank to shoot into so we could see our hits. He had placed a standard white spray can lid as a target...at 1428 yards!!! Yeah right...like I can even see that far!

He set up his viper 284 Win and dialed in the yardage. His first sighter was within a few feet! After a few shots even closer, another friend tried his 260AI. He got close several times, probably within a foot at one point.

Next was my turn. Rem 700 lilja 10 twist barrel 6x47 Lapua shooting 95 gr Sierra Match Kings. I ran the calcs and the app said I needed 54 MOA. I ran out at 39 on the Leupold 8.5-25 so I used the VH reticle and held over. Still way low. Used the impact point and kept raising up until I was within a foot on the 4th shot. Made one final correction (about 15' holdover) and the cap completely disappeared on impact! We couldn't believe it. High fives all around.

We kept shooting at rocks until almost dark. Six of us managed to make hits at that yardage. It was an incredible night I'll never forget. We didn't go over to the target because It got dark, but he said he'd send me what's left of it when he finds the cap.

Here's a pic. A cap like we were aiming at, standing at the gun. Th bullet tip in my left hand is pointing at where the target was.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 09:10 AM
The Man

Re: made the shot of my life this weekend

Great shooting! Now get yourself a Nightforce or March and go to town...
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 11:32 PM
Frequent Contributor

I vote for the Nightforce; do yourself a favor, load up 80 rounds and head to the next Ridgway match. Bring a friend and a spotting scope. It doesn't matter if you hit 1 or all 40, its a ton of fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 08:36 PM
Part of the Community

all i can say is WOW.

look around and tell me what you see.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page