Leupold VX-6 warning - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Leupold VX-6 warning

I bought a $1000 VX-6 from Leupold last year. It was great at the range and I loved it. Then I took it to the mountains to hunt and when it got really cold the power selector completely seized up and would not turn. Stuck on 12X doing drives. It took me a while to figure it out, but reading forums I found others have had this problem - it is a known problem. I called Leupold to verify and was told that yes this is a known problem. I sent it back and after they had it for a couple weeks I called and was told there is no such problem with the VX-6. I finally got it back with no explanation of what they did to it so called again today to find out. The service tech told me that there is no such problem, but also told me it was fixed. Since the next time I will be in really cold weather will be at a Montana elk hunt in October/November, I asked him if they could be sure that it was fixed. He told me to put some bags of ice on it (I already tried the freezer) but I explained that might not replicate really cold 10 degree weather. So he told me that if I wanted a guarantee I should buy another brand of scope. Nice. I thought Leupold had a lifetime guarantee. I didn't realize the guarantee was just that I could mail it back to them and they would mail it back to me without explanation. The main point is that anyone with a VX-6 should test it out in cold weather or make sure to set it where you want it before you get it cold so you don't get stuck on high power with running animals or low power with a long shot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 04:38 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Leupold VX-6 warning

Sounds to me like you caught a guy having a bad day, I've only ever sent one Leupold back, my phone call with them was great, the turn around time was great and they resolved the problem and I haven't had any issues with it since.

I'm sure if you called Leupold with your complaint they would address it promptly. Everyone's human and makes mistakes once in a while.

How cold does your freezer get? I think most Chest freezers are something close to zero, that's pretty darn cold, I would expect if you'll have problems they'll show themselves at zero
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 05:23 PM
dce
Sage

I bought a pair of Cascade binoculars over 10 years ago.The eye cups stayed open by friction and stopped working this past year.I sent them back and about a month later they send me a brand new pair with twist open eye cups.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

The chest freezer sounds like a good suggestion. The last line in my email said the main point is that anyone with a VX-6 should check it out before relying on it in the field.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 10:55 PM
Frequent Contributor

I have a Leupold Gold Ring spotting scope made in the USA. Cold or hot it is very hard to turn the focus ring. I sent is back to Leupold. When returned, it was the same way. They said it was within "specs". I guess I will live with it. I guess that what you get for a 500.00 spotting scope. Doc in Pa.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 12:19 PM

Ok, This is a problem with them. I had a 7-42 VX6 and it's side focus had a clunk to it. You could actually see the crosshairs move when it did this with the gun set on the bench.
My friends did the same thing, and his power also locked on him like the OP is describing. We both sent them back, and since this was very early and I buy a LOT of stuff I told them I wanted a completely new scope. I sold mine as soon as the new one showed up and just bought another NF, and my friend did the same.
Many people are using them and love them so I don't know if it's an isolated problem on one line, but for some reason this is one that leupold is being different about. They replaced it but wont say why or what is wrong.

To Crush your enemys, See them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of there women.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page