Long range paper punching and steel ringing. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2015, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Long range paper punching and steel ringing.

I have a couple of friends who have started long range shooting. Just guys comparing shots and showing off. I want to join in.
Typicly they are shooting 600-800 yards. They are looking at the old strip jobs and finding some 1000 yd shooting lanes.

This is probably a loaded question but i like hearing others opinions and experiences.

Tossing around the following...
Savage - Heavy barrel- 308 - love the accutrigger.
Remington 700 VArminter - fondled one at grices tonight and seemed solid.
I do like my AR's - AR-10 DPMS - becoming more affordable. Still the most expensive option of the 3

All of the above can be upgraded and improved as $ becomes avaialable.

Shooting those distances a quality optic is needed for all 3 so that is a wash..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2015, 01:48 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Long range paper punching and steel ringing.

Savage has a lot to offer for a bone stock gun, although a 308 wouldn't be my first choice. I'd opt for the savage F -class gun is a 6BR. They come with an 8 twist barrel for the 105, 107, and 108 bullets. That is a far better option over the 308. It also comes in a 6.5-284 which is an awesome long range round but barrel life is not so great.

If your going to hot rod it in th future I would start with the Remington, it won't be as good out of the box as the savage but it will be a much better action to accurize in the future.

Keep your eyes open, you can ring good deals on semi custom rigs for really good prices, once in a while you'll find full out custom rigs for a decent price.

If you're in the market shoot dragman a message he always has something in the works
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2015, 12:23 PM

Listen to Gunnermhr he its leading you the right way. and Yes I ALWAYS have something in the works or a deal lol

I know where you can get a NIB F class 6br at a decent price, they also have a good front rest for sale too...

To Crush your enemys, See them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of there women.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2015, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

thanks for the responses.
Lots of homework to do.
Honestly. I had started looking at the savage and remington due to cost and not looking to make the wife mad.
Figured I could get in the door then upgrade as $ permits.
Dragman- sent you a pm.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2015, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Any advice or opinions on the Savage 11lr long range hunter?
Thanks pat
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2015, 08:13 PM
Frequent Contributor

I've owned Remingtons and Savages and will say Savage for DIY. You can swap barrels/calibers in under 15 minutes with minimum tools.

I'm not a fan of the accutrigger, but it's a start especially if you don't want to purchase aftermarket trigger right away.

Savage factory barrels shoot well, but if you really want to squeeze everything out a Savage...you will want a pre fit Savage barrel. The very best shooting rifle I ever had was with a Shilen select match 26" barrel that I put on my Savage in 308. I'm not a 308 fan, but I had so much invested into 308 reloading components.

If you want efficiency, I'd recommend going with 6.5Creedmoor, 6.5x47Lapua or 260 Remington. I mean a 308 would do fine since you are only talking 600-800 yards, but if you want to go beyond 1,000 yards you will want something in 6.5.

AR10 are nice...I've owned three of them and they shoot nice, but the biggest drawback for me was weight. They are very heavy and I preferred a bolt action. If you do go AR10...I'd suggest 6.5Creedmoor because you can seat the bullets longer compared to an AR10 in 260 Remington.

No matter how much money you throw at a Savage...the action still feels terrible. But if you want an awesome action...look no further than Tikka. You will fall in love with that action, but you will be spending $900 or $1,050 for the Tikka T3 CTR right off the bat.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 01:37 AM
Frequent Contributor

It should be accurate but if your looking to do long range target shooting the 3" forearm on the f-class is nice to shoot off a good front rest.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page