Need help choosing scope! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Need help choosing scope!

I'm stuck between 3 scopes Vortex PST 3-16 vs Nightforce SHV or save a couple hundred and get the Vortex HST, Does anyone have any experience with any of them? Going on a .243 which I plan to start shooting at longer ranges upto maybe 600 yards, multi use between groundhogs, target shooting and deer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 12:09 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Need help choosing scope!

What do you plan to shoot at 600, critters and deer you'll be served well by a 14 or 16 power scope. Targets and competition I would opt for more power. You'll never go wrong with Nightforce. Hunting, side focus I think is a must, target shooting, side focus us nice but not needed. Don't undersell the 8.5x25 leupold, it's a great scope for the money. If you're looking to stay in the $1000 range you can pick up a good 8x32 NF bench rest on eBay or one of the other forums.

If money isn't an issue the NF competition is the ultimate. You can find 2013 models for $1650 new in box. Glass is identical to the 14 model you just don't have the reticle options and the target knobs are harder to read on the 13 model.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 07:06 PM
Part of the Community

Just my personal opinion, but I wouldn't put a $1000 scope on a $500 rifle.
You haven't said what rifle you were going to use beyond it being a .243 Winchester...

The is some important criteria that I look for in any scope that I buy. One is magnification and the other is parallax.
You can have a nice new shiny Leupold scope that is bragged up as being the best money can buy, and sitting right beside it a couple hundred dollar Bushnell that does it's job and doesn't make a fuss - at half the cost!
I have been around competition shooters half my life and the one thing they have in common is that they only buy one scope for their rifle, some shot open sights at Camp Perry 50 years ago. I don't know that any one of them will agree that a Leupold is automatically the answer all the time.

It is a big difference between going to a prairie dog town and shooting 100 rounds in a weekend and shooting from a bench.
Most of the older rifles I see at those shoots has Urentl or Schmidt & Bender scopes.
Maybe you could find a deal on flea bay..
I had a bad experience once with a Leupold scope, and I wouldn't buy another one...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Thanks for info guys still undecided, scope will go on a tikka rifle thats worth up to $600 my budget was around $600 for a scope but the more i look at the better ones makes me think whats another couple hundred and i could get a better scope. Never really spent that kind of money on a scope before always used the $100 scopes. I want something nice that tracks well with turrets. Exposed turrets is what i always wanted to try. If anyone has any more pros and cons on the ones i mentioned would really appreciate all the input i could get before i dish out that kind of money.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 11:53 PM

I don't shoot any competition any longer. Back in the day I used to shoot high power silhouette and the sccope of choice among most was the Leupold VX3 - 6.5x20. I think times have changed. I went away from Leupold as I could not focus the scopes to my eyes where other brands could do that. I was pretty much a Nikon guy and have had no issues with countless Nikon's over the years. This past summer while prepping some guns and loads at the club I ran into a few guys shooting the 600 yard matches and some other longer range shoots and they were shooting Vortex scopes as they indicated they felt they were great value for the money. lenses on par with the higher end scopes, all the features and far less $$. I now have 2 Vortex Viper HS 4x16x50 scopes on 2 of my hunting rifles and love them. Very clear, very precise adjustments up and down for range as they both track exactly, bright in low light. Are they the best, I don't know but I am pretty happy with them. I also bought a Huskemaw a year ago in 3x12x44 and all things equal the Huskemaw is the better scope and is clearer but I paid $1100 for it at Harrisburg last year with an Outfitter discount and I only paid $450 each for the Vortex and I don't feel the Huskemaw is a $650 better scope.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 09:21 AM
New Arrival

Sightron
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 11:33 AM
Frequent Contributor

There's a good deal on an 8.5x25 leupold on accurate shooter right now, $760.

I have no personal experience with vortex, I never see them at matches and never hear people talking them up.

Sightron is another good choice but isn't a Nightforce.

Nightforce is top quality, you'll never second guess your purchase if that's what you get. I have several and like every one, the leupold 8.5x25 is another awesome scope, clarity and reliability are second to none. I did send one back because of tracking issues, they fixed it and had it back to me in less than 2 weeks, its the only leupold I ever had to send back. Customer service is great with both companies. You have to ask yourself, what's vortex track record.

Good optics is critical to accuracy, stick with proven companies and buy the best you can afford.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 01:30 PM

Mueller Eraticator 8.5x25x50AO has tiny dot in middle of thin crosshairs and can be illuminated.
I have this scope on all my G'hog guns and absolutely love it. You can buy them for under 250.00

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog!
If it's locked up and put away - Your NOT safe!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 01:33 PM

I put a Vortex HST 4x16x44 on my hunting rifle last year. This is my first Vortex so I can't give you much feedback such as durability. It seems to be very well made, good glass, focuses well. The magnification ring is a bit stout to turn though. I like the zero stop function. As of now I'm happy with it. Whatever scope you do decide to get check B&H Photo for pricing. When I bought my scope they were the best price, free shipping, and I got a $50 gift card from B&H for future purchases.

Sgt USMC '80-'87
>>>---->
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-27-2015, 06:42 PM

don't over extend yourself on the cost of the scope.

get the one you can afford. a top dollar scope wont make you a better shot.

had a co-worker tell me that he wanted to shoot out to a thousand yards and thought if he found a caliber that could reach that far he could hit what he was aiming at.

I finally got thru to him, just because the caliber will go that far he isn't going to hit the target with out practice.

same for scopes, any clear fog proof and highly rated scope will do its job. I have a $400.00 leupold that isn't any clearer than my Simmons or bushnell.

it also didn't make me a better shot. just buy what you like best.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page