Good Glass Advice - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2015, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Good Glass Advice

My apologies upfront if this is in the wrong forum and please move it to the correct one if it is.

This Nov I'm heading to CO for an elk hunt and looking for a good set of bino's to take. What's been suggested are a set of Steiner Predator 10x40. But I wanted to get suggestions on other makes & models similar to this. Since I'm not on this specific forum all that much, can you PM me your suggestions too?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2015, 01:57 PM

Re: Good Glass Advice

Take a look at the Zeiss Conquest HD 10 x 42. My guide on a September antelope hunt was using them and I had Nikon 10x40 ATB's and was night and day - He was evaluating horn at 800 yards when I was barely seeing them. I bought myself a pair and just used them on an Oryx hunt in New Mexico and they were tremendous. I highly recommend them.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2015, 02:48 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Might get more response in General Hunting.

But FWIW, I've had the Steiner Peregrine 10x42 (discontinued)for more than 10 years and they are superb, literally used them around the world, 6 continents. Not sure what the differences are between the predator and peregrine, don't remember where I got them or what I paid but I know they were up towards $1K. Also have 2 other Steiner, 7x50 and 10x22 compact.

Stand up and be counted, join an outdoor sports organization
Life NRA,Life PTA,Annual SCI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2015, 04:12 PM
Frequent Contributor

Hi Kenny, you posted in the right forum as most long range hunters and shooters a familiar with good glass. When we were in Wyoming the guides used Zeiss binoculars and spotting scopes but I don't know what models they used. They said they worked best in the early morning and late evening when they spotted the most game. They called it flat light.
Drags

Dead groundhogs tell no tales!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2015, 09:09 PM
The Man

There is no compromise on good optics. You will spend a lot of time glassing and need quality. What makes the difference is good lens and most important the alignment of them. You sit and look thru the wally world specials long enough you will encounter one nasty head ache. Zeiss was mentioned here and I will not argue, they are top notch. I on the other hand have 2 pair of Swarovski. I purchased my first pair in early 90's when I had an FFl for around 600.00 they was 10x50. I used them for years and 4 years ago sent them back for realignment due to a friend that borrowed them dropped them. They did the service and cleaned lens for n/c. Last summer I bit the bullet wanting a lighter pair and got the 10x42 EL HD. They both will last me the rest of my life so money well spent. I can say both pair actually make light, that last 5 minutes or first 5 minutes quality equipment can make your hunt. I have some Zeiss scopes and very pleased with them. If you stick with these top companys you wont go wrong.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 12:39 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

Put Meopta on the list to consider, too. They give up little to the bigger names and are less costly. They are truly excellent optics.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 05:01 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

In my other post forgot to mention the Steiner warranty. Should be called a forever warranty, they build them so they can stand behind them forever. One of the reasons they are the choice of the military.
http://www.cabelas.com/assets/produc...anty_flyer.pdf

TO ALL THOSE WHO WILL OWN YOUR STEINER OPTIC AFTER YOU.
• WE WILL REPAIR OR REPLACE YOUR STEINER OPTIC SHOULD IT
BECOME DAMAGED OR DEFECTIVE—AT NO CHARGE TO YOU.
• NO WARRANTY CARD NEEDED
• NO RECEIPT REQUIRED
• FULLY TRANSFERABLE – FROM GENERATION TO GENERATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofstater
I can say both pair actually make light
You make a funny about actually making light.

Stand up and be counted, join an outdoor sports organization
Life NRA,Life PTA,Annual SCI

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page