Velocity - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Velocity

What is the velocity I need to get from a 200 yard zero to the 1000 yard mark without passing my zero point on scope? (1/4" clicks)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 11:20 PM
The Man

Re: Velocity

If im reading this right do you mean a full revolution of turn? What caliber, bullet, and current velocity? Also, if im reading this correctly that should be the least of your worry. To shoot 1k yards your main concern is to have a rifle that will shoot tight at 100 yards a bullet with a high BC that will carry out to 1k. I have a particular 6mm with my regular deer load I couldn't hit an elephant twice out of 5 shots at 1k. Then the same rifle with a 95 berger is a different story. What ever your MOA works out to be at 1k it is what it is. There are zero stop scopes and others just pay attention to what your doing. So if you have a gun that shoots 1/2 moa that would take 26 minutes to dial in I would not want to play with the load for more vel. to obtain 15 minutes to dial in and shoot 1 1/2 moa. If I read this wrong please discard.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

I wasn't sure how to word it I've shot the 1000 yard game before looking to put a new gun together just curious if there was a sweet spot I should look for before I decide on caliber or twist I thought 3000 fps would get me on in one revolution
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 12:03 AM
The Man

Again depending on caliber, bullet etc. Give me more specifics of gun your talking about. My Nightforce scopes are 10 moa per rev. and I think leupold is 15, could be wrong. If you are going to play the LR game you need good equipment and especially top optics. Im not going to trying to be smart but will be straight forward. If you play it 1/2 azz that will be your results. When I was young I started to race go-karts saying I want to just go out and have fun. About the second race of getting lapped it was not fun, same here. My Nightforces was 1,800.00 you can get them used maybe 15-1600. They have zero stop option and some others also have it but there is a price tag. Zero stop is not mandatory but a convience my lr shooting buddy does not have them and does fine. Your playing a precise game so counting turns is not rocket science. I kind of doubt there is many out there you can shoot 1k with 1 rev. My 338 edge with a 300 bthp vel. 2850 one of the highest bc bullets out there I dial in something like 26 minutes for 1k. I know some might say zero in at 300 yards but I believe in 100 yard zero. If your in a LR hunting set up and a trophy elk or deer walks out at 150 yards are you going to let it walk? A 300 yard zero could mess up at close range is my point. My 6x284 I said earlier the vel. is around 3450 and it recquired 19 3/4 moa.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Your right to broad of question when I shot at the 1000 yds. club I really only used my 1000 yard setting as my zero just dialed in per conditions.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofstater
I know some might say zero in at 300 yards but I believe in 100 yard zero. If your in a LR hunting set up and a trophy elk or deer walks out at 150 yards are you going to let it walk? A 300 yard zero could mess up at close range is my point.
You might want to reconsider the 100 yard zero idea. Most of the faster/flatter cartridges won't be much more than a few inches high at 100 & 200 yards when using a 300 yard zero. On big game, especially elk size, a few inches is of little consequence. As I stated in another thread; I don't like to spin turrets below 500 yards, so a 300 yard zero puts me closer to a point blank zero, with minor hold off to shoot critters. Also, with 10 & 20 MOA offset bases, the 300 yard zero puts me closer to centered in my scopes elevation range.

WMU 3A
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 12:44 PM
The Man

I think its one of those things I just did it that wy for years. I know a few guys who has the Leupold premier reticle dot system. Since Dick Thomas died they do not do them anymore. They worked pretty dang good you gave him caliber, bullet, bc, elevation and he placed the dots. All in al they worked good but one system he did the first dot was a little larger covering everything out to 300 yards. It was tough to shoot in and you didn't want to try and shoot tight groups with it. But you basicly had a scope set up for 1 gun and most part worked. The one guy took many elk out to 700 yards with the dot system. They did great work once they took your scope his warranty too over. I know the lupy vmt. and B&c zero is supposed to be 200 yards. My 6 x284 I was shooting jugs at 500 and the 500 yard hash I was over shooting it but took my first yote with it at 550 and was on at that distance.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 09:50 PM
Frequent Contributor

I'm with out of stater on this one. I like a 100 yard zero. Several reasons why but the post isn't about that. The 1000 yard game isn't one for shortcuts, gimmicks or half azzed equipment. Your on the right track and asking questions is how you find these things out. Chances are you'll need need a 20moa base, most scopes won't get you to a 1000 yards. A 300WSM takes 25 or 26 minutes, a 6BR is close to 30 minutes, most everything else you would use in competition will fall between those numbers. Getting a scope to go from a 100 or 200 yard zero to a 1000 yards is highly doubtful.

100 yard zero vs 200 has proven to be no benefit to me, I know a lot of guys that like 200 zeros but I'm not one of them. 100 yard zero shoots @2" low at 200 and 9" low at 300, both super easy hold overs chucks and deer. 400 and 500 are 25" and 45" respectively. One could argue hold over at 400 but no way at 500. Besides I have no issue with reaching up and putting the clicks in, quick, easy and accurate.

You must also keep in mind there is a huge difference in holding off in a match situation to hunting situations, I'd be happy to share my experiences with those differences too
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

I realize there no short cuts at these ranges, i'm also very use to using a turret style scope do it weekly in warmer weather from 200 to 500 meters even target shooting i click for elevation and wind-age i never hold off . I'm just terrible at math and was wondering if it possible or realistic to do in one revolution not a problem going past zero, as i'm reading i would say not. Gunnermhr you are right with your post all i'm doing is looking for help i'm comfortable with my bench style gun at 500 meters just want to move out to longer distances with it this summer.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 01:51 AM
Frequent Contributor

Math isn't my strong point either. Read your scope adjustments like a tape measure and start doing everything with minutes you'll wonder why you did it any other way. 1000 yards, 25 1/2 minutes or how many click? 25 x 4 + 2 oh and part way counting you get distracted. Or you get scopes withe 1/8 minute clicks. My god my head hurts thinking about it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page