What optics for a 243 to shoot out to 500 yards - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
The Man

What optics for a 243 to shoot out to 500 yards

I will be picking up my 243 this weekend as I am swapping my CVA pistol for one. I fell in love with the cartridge when I was doing research on my new deer rifle. I chose the 7mm-08 for deer but really like the ballistics and such for this rifle. I am planning on making it my coyote gun, and target gun. I had a blast shooting my 17 out to 300 yards and really miss the light recoil plinkingdays.

The gun will come with the junk bushnell scope that savage supplies with the axis. I have been looking at quite a few "decent scopes" for the 243. The one I am contemplating is the Bushnell with the 600 DOA reticle. This reticle is designed to allow direct aiming out to 600 yards based on your cartridge choice. I have looked at a few MIL DOT scopes as well. I like these scopes as they "do not require" you to hold or adjust your elevation to place shots.

I would like to get a scope that takes a lot of the guesswork out of shooting. I imagine that my hunting shots will never be past 300 yards, and I have researched on the ways to sight in at 100 to make the drop at 300 be less of an issue, but like the idea of not have to play the "guessing game"

I had the bsa sweet 17 on my 17 and it worked great, but recent issues I have had with my shot gun scope are turning me away from the BSA sweet 243 scope.

Looking at suggestions for a nice rifle scope for my 243. I don't want to spend a ton on it but may save up for a few years to get something worth while. What magnifications would you guys suggest for shooting at 500? 2.5x15" 3x9? would you go with a 50mm or stick with the standard 40? Am I thinking correctly that these mil dot and 600 DOA scopes will take out the guess work?

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 01:51 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: What optics for a 243 to shoot out to 500 yards

I have a 16x on my 243 and that allows me to see ground hogs very nicely at 500 yards but i have a very fine reticle and very fine mil dots. A friend gave me a "sight mark" scope with 30mm tube and 44mm obj lens. Sure its not a leupold but untill it craps im using it! I consistently shoot groups of 2.0" or a hair bigger at 300 yards so im happy. Check out the vortex line as well. I know they have awesome CS and offer a nice selection. I used to run an 18x crossfire on my custom 22 250 and ground hogs at 400-450 where a challenge but in reach. My vortex 18x was $300 at most but is very reliable and like i said they have great CS! I do not like the DOA scopes because just my expeirence the "dots" the represeant the yardage are way to big for the pin point aiming i like for my type of accurate long range hunting/shooting
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 04:26 PM
The Man

There might be 2 people on this forum and im not one of them that really understands the mil dot system for I and most go by MOA " minute of angle " I am a sticker for top optics on a rifle meaning a 1,200.00 scope on a 200.00 rife isn't a bad hing to do. You mentioned ballistic reticle they will work evn though I like to dial in. A leupold 4.5x 14 vmt. hunter I have 3-4 and are okey. The ones you mentioned I don't have and don't care to comment on something I never used. Im older and like more power so I use 5.5 x22 but they are pricy. What ever you choose those hash marks will not work for every gun perfect like most think. You neeed to place targets milk jugs work good at each 100 yard incriments to see how it actually does. They are placed in that scope t certain moa where a 243 100 grain buet at 400 yards will have a different moa than a 22-250 55 grainer at 400 yards. The 400 yard hash might need a little Kentucky windage but will get you in the ball game. If you have a scope that will track well you just dial in the moa from information gathered from a ballistic program as we say range it , click it, send it. Best of luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 10:40 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

"Range it , Click it , Send it" probably the best advice on this matter you will get.

Save a wolf , take one to the taxidermist
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-01-2015, 02:32 PM

Even though the mil-dot system wasn't designed as a ballistic reticle, I've found it to be a good choice for my style of varmint hunting. Shots under 400 yards don't require me to touch the turrets, thus reducing my chances of forgetting click adjustments. However, 500 yards is about the maximum you'll want to use a mil-dot scope for shooting woodchucks before it becomes better to dial in the elevation.

Whether you choose a ballistic reticle or mil-dot, you'll need to pay close attention to how magnification of a second focal plane scope impacts the crosshair/dot spacing. If you don't understand how that works then you may want to research second focal plane vs first focal plane optics, before choosing a scope.

WMU 3A
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-01-2015, 04:58 PM
The Man

That's good information on the focal plane I forgot to mention on ballistic reticles of having the power setting correct. The trouble with mil dots I see is for what there intent is not to many people actually know that system. When I first got in to lr shooting and buying my first Nightforce a few tried to talk me in to it. Most of those guys that use it seems to be alittle over my head if you catch my drift. I went with moa and works well. So your saying these scopes and I have one an older swift 4-12 your using the dots for holdover?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-01-2015, 11:55 PM

I do use the dots for holdover. It requires a bit of planning during the sighting in process in order to match the path of trajectory to the mil-dot values, but usually I can get the dots to work quite well for 400 yards or so. It isn't a perfect system, especially when changing magnification, so I tend to stick with full value (3.6" @ 12x) and half value (1.8"@ 24x) with my varmint scopes. Once I get to a point of spinning turrets I just ditch the mil system and switch to inch drop values, as all my turrets are in fractional inch. I'll usually run trajectory calculations in both mils and inches.

Even MOA has a bit of error at extended ranges when using fractional inch turrets, if a person doesn't take into account the .047" difference per 100 yards. MOA turrets are definitely the way to go if you want ease of use with the MOA system.

WMU 3A
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 01:39 PM
The Man

Im just to old to try and learn something like that when I have something working good. I had 2 guys try to explain the mil and it basicly went in one ear and out the other. I hate to see people buying ballistic ret scopes and still not understanding the basics of what is happening. Unless you understand focal plane and moa hash placements in reticle its still not going to work the best. I had 2 guys tell me last year they just don't work. They mounted scope sighted in and started to miss everything they shot at over 300 yards.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 03:52 PM

I use a mil dot scope and a mil dot master. My scope is a Mueller 8.5X25X44 Tactical and I shoot a standard 243 with 75 or 87 grain V-Max's. I am groundhog accurate to 500 yards...and I love the Mueller scopes.

Mil-Dot Master Slide Ruler

Whoever says that mil dot scopes don't work or are not accurate hasn't taken the time to learn them and understand the math and calculations that go into them. I can assure you the mil-dot scope is as accurate as your ability and talent will let it be.

Bluedog

Back out West...home at last!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 03:51 PM
The Man

I didn't say the mil dot system doesent work, I said I do not understand the mil system and don't care to learn. Simple I run MOA has worked good for me don't care to switch. I also stated that there are proably only a few on here that actually understands the system.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page