What can I expect distance wise from a rem 700 270 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-14-2014, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

What can I expect distance wise from a rem 700 270

If I tricked it out and hand loaded. what can I expect for max distance? What suggestions do you folks have to get max distance?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 12:09 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: What can I expect distance wise from a rem 700 270

Im not sure how much help im going to be, your question is a little on the tough side.

In the end you can spend all the money you want to "trick" a rifle out,
You can handload to your hearts extent, but just remember alot of accuracy potential depends on the person yanking the trigger!

The 270 is a very capable round, the model 700 is a very capable rifle/action. Ive seen guys with straight out of he box guns shoot circles around a person with a "tricked" out gun that cost hundreds of dollars more!

The best advice i can give you is- if you are a handloader you will need to tailor your loads to what your gun likes, spend lots and lots or time on the range, and in the end it boils down to technique and skill that will extend your range to what ever you want it to be. In other words most guns are capable to outshoot their owners, its our job to extend our limits to where we want them to be.

Im sure there are people out there that could stretch the .270 out to 1000 yards if they wanted to, but very few of us could do it.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Take me out of the equation. What can the gun do and with what modifications?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 12:40 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I dont think you understood my post, the gun cant do anything without you!!

Not every gun will NEED the same modifications, good triggers are a must in any accurate rifle, some guns need the barrel floated, some shoot better without it floated, some need a bedding job, some shoot better without.

Good optics suited for whatever range you are trying to achieve. The best advice i can give you is if you want the .270 in a remington 700, then get it, shoot it, and make determinations as to what mite need done to suit your needs range wise, there are better calibers out there, as far as bullet weight, ballistic capabilities, wind drift ect, that would make it a little easier to achieve maximum range.

In the end noone can really answer your question with any accuracy because every one shoots different and has differens skill levels, and every gun is different and mite need different "tweaks" to get the max range out of it.

If you get the .270, set it up to your personal likes, find a load it likes, and shoot, shoot, and shoot some more, and the sky is the limit so to say as far as distance. In other words the gun will be up to pretty much any range as long as YOU are up to it!
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 09:56 AM

Is this what your after ?

http://gundata.org/blog/post/270-win-ballistics-chart/
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 12:27 PM
Frequent Contributor

If the rifle is a good brand rem. win. sako. ect. all you would have to do is handload adjust the trigger if needed and maybe bed the rifle. Also get a click chart with the load your are using and then verify the chart by shooting it in and of course practice. You should be able to hunt out to 500 yards or maybe a little further. If you already have a .270 go with it but there are better choices out there 6.5x284 7mm mag. 300 mag. ect. Drags

Dead groundhogs tell no tales!
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 06:30 PM

I'm assuming you mean for deer/big game? The 270 is not usually a varmint type round, but it could be?

You've been given great info above. Taking YOU out of the question...

First, you should look at the bullet you intend to use and the velocity it was designed for proper expansion. For instance...the Nosler Ballistic Tips are usually designed to expand at over 1600fps at impact speeds. Looking at the ballistics chart 4x4dad gave, and projecting outward from 500 where it leaves off, it looks like about 600 yards might be the max for that bullet (guessing velocity of <1600 past 600 yards). There may be other bullets that will expand at lower velocities, but I certainly wouldn't push it. It never hurts to call the bullet mfgr's to see what their recommended bullet speed @ impact is.

Second, your gun/handload will tell you what your max should be, based on group sizes and practice. Theoretically, a gun capable of 1/2" at 100 yards (which is pretty good for a "tricked out" factory rifle) translates into 3" at 600 yards. Realistically, there's a LOT that can go wrong between 0 and 600. Wind, mirage, animal moves, etc. Going back to what was said above, YOU need to practice with your rifle, and see what the gun will do at various distances. Given a whitetail's vitals at 8" in dia (approx), if you can REPEATEDLY hold BETTER than an 8" group at 600 yards, that would be your max range with that gun.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

So what I am hearing is if I have skill and the gun is good I should be able to reach 600
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

4x4 thank you very much
Great chart
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Is there a known bullet for the 270 that will shoot flater farther than the one in the chart

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page