Best range for 6mm - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Best range for 6mm

I have used my old 6mm for shots out to 500 yards but i am interested in hearing what this caliber is actually capable of using the "best" loads and guns available.

anyone care to share their expertise?

thanks

You want me to put my ear to the ground? Listen for hoof beats? Look for broken twigs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-23-2014, 02:21 AM
The Man

Re: Best range for 6mm

I have 3 - 6mm x284 wildcats. My longest shot on a deer with it only 325 but I took my first and only coyote at 550 yards. The guy in my area that got me on to them has taken over 21 bull elk in Colorado since 1978. He has taken them out to little over 700 yards. She uses the old discounted 100 grain Nosler solid base bullets which he bought several k of before they discounted them. He has a gun shop and does some gunsmith work. The main thing is he is one heck of a shot he uses a dot system developed by premier reticles but they do not do that service anymore. I was with him on his last 2 kills the one was at 625 he shot 3 times and connected 2 out of 3. The damage it did was unreal on that elk seeing it skinned out it looked like a larger caliber. With the 6x284 you of course have more case capacity than the standard 6mm and get more vel. I use them for deer hunting in Pa. shooting the 85 sierra bthp. I load 53 grains of IMR 4350 and get 3450 fps. The 100 grainer I mentioned he uses 51 grains 4350 around 3300. My long range shooting buddy got one and loaded the Berger 95 only going around 3000 + we shoot milk jugs at 1k with it. We actually have a gong at 1100 yards with him hitting it another person sat down first shot and hit it too. That says something for the gun and bullet. However, I wouldn't shoot at an animal at that yardage with it don't know what it has left to do internal damage or not. I tried my 85 grainer at 1k and I couldn't of hit an elephant with it. My back to back shots was like 20' different point of inpact. You need the higher bc bullets to do that with my 85 is very poor on BC. I just had a 6x47 Laupa built getting ready to work loads for it.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-23-2014, 10:33 AM
Frequent Contributor

What's the twist rate on your rifle? If it's a slow twist it won't spin the heavy bullets needed for long range shooting fast enough to keep them stabilized at long range.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-23-2014, 05:48 PM
The Man

l think it would be a 10 twist and they can be tough to get anything over 100 grainer to shoot from my experience.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2014, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

1 in 9

You want me to put my ear to the ground? Listen for hoof beats? Look for broken twigs?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2014, 12:40 AM
The Man

Try some 95 Bergers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page