Long Distance Ranging - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2014, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Long Distance Ranging

As i have been bitten hard but the Colorado Elk hunting bug, I look to improve every aspect of my life to become a better Western hunter.

That being said, I was looking on opinions about long distance range finding; whether it be by laser or (not sure if this is possible) by sight. If it was even possible to do using binos and the landscape

If not, what range finders are others using to figure out distance to targets?

Thanks in advance!

Karge Road Coyote Camp for Life
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2014, 07:37 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Long Distance Ranging

Leica 1600b
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2014, 09:16 PM
Frequent Contributor

I have a leica 1200 crf, use it for bowhunting and long range hunting. I imagine the 1600 is a pretty nice unit. You wont be able to judge distances without some type of ranging devise. The bullet drop from say 800 to 850 is signifigant enough to cause a miss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2014, 09:18 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have Leica CRF1200 and a old Bushnell Yardage Pro 1000, both work well. If I was in the market I would check out the Bushnell (I think it's called the Truth 1000) Pretty sure it can be had for around 300 bucks and fits in a pocket. If price in not an object Leica is hard to beat. I will add that my friend bought a Leupold 1000 something last year and it has been nothing but problems. HAve fun elk hunting.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2014, 10:36 PM
The Man

For the money, convience, quality Leica 1600. I have a G-7 from Gun werks but it is a different animal and not needed by average shooters.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2014, 09:52 AM
Part of the Community

Leica 1200 Scan works till scratch the cash for a Leica 1600

i used the Vortex 1K and it gave 1K readings that matched mine and was 1/2 the price. you better be using a LG hammer to drop a elk past 1k !
i couldnt imaging you needing anything more than the Vortex or similar

A "clip" is a clip, aka Def: a device, typically flexible or worked by a spring, for holding an object or objects together or in place.
a "Magazine" is a magazine aka Def: a chamber for holding a supply of cartridges to be fed automatically to the breech of a gun.

so a "clip" holds the "magazine" in place. get it?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2014, 10:05 AM
Frequent Contributor

We compared the Leica 1600 to the Newcon 2200 si out to 1250 yards and the Newcon was more consistent, the Leica would only get readings at 1250 yards a few times but the Newcon ranged every time at 1250 yards. I ranged a corn field at 1054 with the Newcon every time, the price on the Newcon a month ago was $639.00 shipped at Adorama I think the Leica is more than that.
drags

Dead groundhogs tell no tales!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 02:47 PM
New Arrival

I have a Terrapin from Vectronix. I have ranged over 3000 yards in bright sun with this laser. I heard they stopped making them because there wasn't enough money in it. They still make the Military ones but they are really expensive. I paid about 1800 for my Terrapin. I had a Swarovski and they ranged reliably to 1000 or so. It was the second best we ever used. You can probably get one for 700 or so. We tried a Newcon last fall and it wouldn't range a big bear at 1100 or a lot of other things we tried. My Terrapin ranged it and we also ranged deer from 1370 to 1860. Matt

7 time world record holder 1000 yard BR
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-31-2014, 02:17 AM
The Man

I have a Leica 1600 bought a few years ago cant remember the price but I know it was over 650.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page