Target knob confusion - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Target knob confusion

Help me understand clicks, MOA, etc. I have a Leupold 6.5-20 scope. I looked it up and from what I can tell it has the 1/8 per click at 100 yards.

I ran a ballistics program for my 22-250 and here is what it says. I need help figuring out how many clicks to turn it.

Zeroed at 150 yards
200 is -1.5 or .07 MOA
300 is -9 or 2.9 MOA
400 is -24.6 or 5.9 MOA

How many clicks do i turn for each?
Is it 2.9 X 8= 23.2 clicks for 300 yards
5.9 X 8 = 47.2 clicks for 400 yards?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 08:57 AM

Re: Target knob confusion

I have two of the same Leupold scopes, and both are 1/4th minute clicks. You sure they are 1/8th?
If they are 1/8th, here is what you need to remember:

At 100 yards, it takes 8 clicks to move 1". At 200 yards, each click is 1/4th inch movement. So 4 clicks is an inch of movement. At 300 yards, is 3/8ths inch each click; 400 yards, 1/2 perclick. There are 8 clicks between full minutes on the scope adjustments. So, between those hash marks you will move the scope reticule 1" at 100 yards. Remember, each 100 yards additional, the click value decreases by half.

benchrest
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

It is 1/4. There are four lines on the turret between numbers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 12:05 PM

To hit at 400 you would need to turn up 24 clicks. Remember after the shot to return to your zero.

When using my 22-250 I sight in at 200. up to there, center mass will kill any chuck.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 01:24 PM

They are 1/4 clicks at 100 yards...now remember that when you change distances you change the size each click represents, at 200 yards each click represents a move of 1/2 inch for each click, at 300 yards each click represents 3/4 inch, at 400 yards each click represents 1 inch, at 500 each click represents 1 1/4 inch.... keep in mind also, just because you gun shoots 3/4 in size groups that doesn't mean it will shoot 1 1/2 in groups at 200 or 2 1/4 inch groups at 300 yards, it's a nice idea but it doesn't work that way...the only way to get it right is to get you and your rifle to a range and see for yourself what it takes to move it to what you want, what it says with ballistics programs, reloading manuals and magazines article are helpful but there information it not etched in stone, there are too many variables to go by what someone else says, do it with your rifle and you, write the information down, keep the targets and you'll be far far better off...
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2014, 12:48 AM
The Man

I always stick with 100 yard sight ins. Then running the numbers I don't get mixed up. Going back to zero can be confusing also if you don't have a zero stop scope, have to pay attention what you did.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 11:36 AM
Part of the Community

Quote:
I need help figuring out how many clicks to turn it.
quit thinking clicks is the best start. every wonder the that scope has 0-1-2-3-4 that is MOA if drop calls for 5.8MOA go to 5 and the 3rd line for 5.75
if it calls for 10.5 go to 10 and 2 lines, you dont need to count "clicks"
printing out the drop chart is great but it has to be field tested and verified

also dont worry about a zero stop as when you set your zero at 100yds and set the turret to zero. turn it CW and see how many turns from bottom you are. It should be mounted @ 1-2 revs from there. write it doun on your chare and the same for windage. I guess the next thing is figuring out a windage zero stop?
besides moa are alot smaller numbers than "clicks"
dont overthink it. it is just an angle, not a click
@1.14"@100
@11.4"@1000

A "clip" is a clip, aka Def: a device, typically flexible or worked by a spring, for holding an object or objects together or in place.
a "Magazine" is a magazine aka Def: a chamber for holding a supply of cartridges to be fed automatically to the breech of a gun.

so a "clip" holds the "magazine" in place. get it?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 04:24 PM
The Man

Good answer! I watched my know it all cousin back in the late 70's showing off his new 24x lupy on a 22-250. He had a so called click chart on side of gun stock. He was going to give me a lesson on shooting a ground hog at 400 yards. He turned wrong way and had it so messed up had to go to range and bore sight it. Of course it was my fault for talking to him during my lesson.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2014, 09:24 AM
Part of the Community

if you speak MOA it dont matter how many clicks are 1 MOA

it sure does suck when your spotter talks clicks and has a 1/8 mOA turret and you have a 1/4 MOA!
using right hand
roll your fingers in a loose fist "thunb up" for turn direction... (post icon)
then point thumb in the direction you need impact to go. finger direction is turret turn direction.
AKA thumb and impact need to go left,fingers over top and down _windage CW
impact needs to go right,thumb right,fingerd under and over top turret turn CCW
impact high,thumb down top turret CW

if youmake a miss on a LR ground hog,it is a easy way to remember which way to turn. I bet your buddy must not have known that? so you can enlighten him

6 Dasher makes a good point on 1" @ 100 5" @ 500 and 10" @ 1000 as a rule of thumb...
if the GH is 500yds and you miss first shot by 10" right due to unseen wind - point that thumb left run that windage dial 2 moa cw and let-em have it!

A "clip" is a clip, aka Def: a device, typically flexible or worked by a spring, for holding an object or objects together or in place.
a "Magazine" is a magazine aka Def: a chamber for holding a supply of cartridges to be fed automatically to the breech of a gun.

so a "clip" holds the "magazine" in place. get it?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2014, 09:55 AM
The Man

Are Leupold adjustment values better these days than in the past? I've yet to see one that delivered the movement distance it promised.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page