Competition shooting - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-08-2014, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

Competition shooting

At what point does it stop being fun and become another job?? I work in the industry and sometimes it seems like it's working overtime to load and do development and practice?? anyone else feel like that??

To Crush your enemys, See them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of there women.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-08-2014, 03:42 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Competition shooting

If your asking your done. You need to shoot tin cans again.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-08-2014, 06:23 PM
Frequent Contributor

I've always said when it's no longer fun I'll quit. I go to too many matches where people are complaining about too many things, sure occasionally I get upset with myself, as long as it's only occasional. This is my hobby and stress relief from work. I do think you can shoot too much and turn it into a job. I've seen a few guys do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-08-2014, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1straightshot
If your asking your done. You need to shoot tin cans again.
+1 Good thought.

Your freedom to be you, includes my freedom to be free from you.

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-08-2014, 07:31 PM
Part of the Community

2 guys I shoot with do nothing but [censored] and moan the whole ride to the range, 1 hour and 40 minutes up 1 hour and 40 minutes back, that's when it becomes no fun.

NRA Life member
Mid-Range match director: Reade Range
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-08-2014, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

I am not done yet just trying to keep my "mind right" and relax a little I guess.

isn't [censored] and moaning back and forth to the range and talking about how it wasn't fair part of the shooting game??? lol

To Crush your enemys, See them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of there women.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-08-2014, 07:56 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I agree gunnermhr. I do make mistakes sometimes and that gets me upset but in the end i always return to shooting and reloading as my #1 hobby

Sometimes i do see people so upset i ask my self why the heck are they still doin this if it makes em sick. Not me though
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 09:39 AM

It becomes un-fun when you get caught up in the money game!!! The custom classes for the most part have become that..if you want to run with the big dogs you've got to get some serious cash involved and I mean serious cash...Some of the amount that people are spending is almost unbelievable.. $3-5,000.00 in scopes and mounts!!! The same amount in rifles if not more!!! Another 2 or 3 in accessories to go along with all the awesome other stuff and you can see $10'000 in a custom rifle is easily achievable to compete at the level needed to be competitive. Competition rifle shooting is a major financial investment and to think elsewise is not being honest...SO, it becomes unfun when you worry about how am I going to pay for this next step...but it's like everything else, it's your money!!
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 10:03 AM
The Man

God has blessed me with the wherewithal to indulge my obsession for jumping into the LR steel target game with top-notch equipment...March scope, a top quality-built 6.5x47 on a Borden action, custom dies, etc...have a SEB rest on order (1 yr. wait) and a scad of various custom bullets on hand...

My goal is not to beat anyone at the game but to improve my skill set as I learn...doing what I can to get a head start on load development through talking with successful shooters....everything else is up to me when it comes to putting bullets downrange...

I don't fuss about the cost...it's water under the bridge...
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 10:27 AM

I agree with Bob and Dasher. The various events require top notch equipment, which translates into big bucks. After that, the fun for me is handloading with various recipes to find the most accurate load. At times it becomes an obsession. I have known many guys "burn out" after numerous years in the sport of long range shooting. Maybe I'm next.

benchrest

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page