1,000 yard competitions - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

1,000 yard competitions

I shoot handguns competitively fairly often and have just started to tinker with reloading and for whatever reason have become interested in long-range competition shooting. A nearby club holds what they call black hat shoots which are basically 1,000 yard shoots. Now my questions is can you compete in something like that with a factory rifle? or do you almost need a custom built one?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 11:07 AM
Part of the Community

Re: 1,000 yard competitions

you have to check the shoot rules for "classes" of rifles, they may have a factory class.
problem is, most groundhog shoots have a factory class that shoot factory at 100-200-300yds and custon 200-400-500 etc
AKA factory rifles dont "compete against a custom. but i wouldnt discourage anyone from shooting a factory rifle to get their feet wet in the sport as you can ugd to custom in the future.

A "clip" is a clip, aka Def: a device, typically flexible or worked by a spring, for holding an object or objects together or in place.
a "Magazine" is a magazine aka Def: a chamber for holding a supply of cartridges to be fed automatically to the breech of a gun.

so a "clip" holds the "magazine" in place. get it?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the info, appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 01:38 PM

I know at Ridgway they only have 12lbs 17lbs and unlimited weight. no classes separating custom and factory.

that said the Fclass's from savage do very well I have seen a few guys be very competitive with them.

To Crush your enemys, See them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of there women.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 02:54 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I see you live in Lancaster Co. Check out nhrpc.org. we do 600 yard F class matches. Ive seen nearly stock rifles do pretty well here. I used to shoot a stock savage 10 223 and did well. You can pm me for more info
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 06:18 PM

You'd be far better off and I'm sure enjoy it more at any of the long range groundhog matches found in many sections of PA. Believe me you'll learn lots in just one match and you should easily without any fancy equipment get a factory gun on target rather quickly. Just have your gun set an inch high at 100 and you'll be ready to start at most matches, check the rules some allow sighter shots and at least one doesn't, sighter shots will help you get on real quick, and all of them have lots of people who will help you out, check the rules of each match, most have websites and are shooter friendly. Also most have factory classes, so you'll start off on a level playing field. Most groundhog matches start in late march or april and I'm sure you'll enjoy this type of match for your first competition type match.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 06:35 PM

To clarify my post,
If your buying new I would buy a savage F class either caliber.
If you don't mind used you can get trued up Remingtons with custom barrels for the same price as the savage is new and for a little more you can step into a custom action. I love buying bench guns used, why wait 6-12 months and spend $4000 when you can almost always find something similar used for 2-2500.
If your just gonna try don't spend the extra, but if you know your gonna keep at it I say buy once cry once

To Crush your enemys, See them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of there women.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the info fellas, I appreciate it.

I live just outside of New Holland currently and will check that out. I'm actually from and spend a lot of time in Mifflin County and the Sportsmans club that a couple of my buddies are members of actually has a 1,000 yard range so I'm going to check that out as well.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 01:23 AM
Frequent Contributor

Bring your factory rifle there for a Groundhog match. It's an awesome place to shoot, the wind is very tricky but the guys there are helpful and will offer to help spot your shots if you cant see them.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 10:36 AM
Part of the Community

so true of newer factory rifles,as i was not thinking of Savage F class and the coopers,Nosler customs etc.. Southfork puts those in a "superstock" class. It is also trus,as were my thoughts,before i would spend that kind of money on a "factory" rifle, I would pick up or build a semi custom off a rem or savage action. Many many good shooters out there to get, just get to some local matches and get to know the guys!
SF does allow one sighter now at 100yds, dot below tgt board

A "clip" is a clip, aka Def: a device, typically flexible or worked by a spring, for holding an object or objects together or in place.
a "Magazine" is a magazine aka Def: a chamber for holding a supply of cartridges to be fed automatically to the breech of a gun.

so a "clip" holds the "magazine" in place. get it?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page