Rifle cleaning for long range competitors - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Rifle cleaning for long range competitors

To long range competitors and hunters, what is your method of cleaning your rifle? I use the method recommend be Speedy Gonzalas.
Run a patch through soaked with sweets and leave in the bore.
Run a bronze brush breach to muzzle only soaked with Butches Bore Shine, about 15 times then patch out until clean and oil lightly.
About every 80 rounds I clean with Iosso for carbon build up also I occasionally soak with Subaru TEC.
I would like to hear how other shooters clean.
Drags

Dead groundhogs tell no tales!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 11:21 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: Rifle cleaning for long range competitors

I like to soak a patch in in Barnes copper cleaner and use a bore guide to help run that patch up and down the bore10-12 times and then I will let that Barnes copper cleaner sit in the Bore for no more than 5 minutes if it's really bad I'll do one pass with a bronze brush but most of the time I don't need to and then I'll switch over to a jag and I'll start pushing patchs out through my bore until the patches come out clean if I need to use more Barnes copper cleaner I'll repeat the process I will soak a patch running up and down the board 10 to 12 times let it set for another 5 minutes and then I'll start using my jag to push patches I like to leave a little bit of copper in the Boreso I don't have to shoot so many fouling shots once I'm done I'll run a patch in M pro 7 run that down the bore and I'll store the rifle before I go to use it again I'll run a couple patches down the boar to grab any excess oil. This is how i clean my stainless shillen on my match rifle that will hold darn near 3 inch groups at 600yds. It may not be the best way but it works for me
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 02:06 PM
Frequent Contributor

What a great post;

I use KG-12 for Copper and a mixture of Kroil & Shooters Choice for Carbon, about 75/25 mix with 75 being S.C.

Two patches of SC then 10 brush strokes soaked with SC. Patches of SC until it looks clean, dry patch. Then soak a patch with KG-12 stroke 20 times, then dry patch and repeat the SC routine. Lightly coat a patch with Kriol for stoarage.

I do Iosso or Flitz as needed, and always at the end of the season. The carbon ring that forms in the barrel at the end of the case is the most miserable thing to clean, I take the barrel off to get that, sometimes attach a nylon brush to a cordless drill and use JB Bore Paste.

A valuable tool is a Bore Scope, if you don't have one, befriend someone who does, they will tell you exactly how good your cleaning regimen is and show you that nasty carbon ring that builds up at the end of casing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 09:29 PM

Ok,
1- I use tetra copper solvent on a patch run it through the barrel X 2
2- I use a brass brush soaked in tetra copper solvent and do approx 40 strokes then let it set 15-20 minutes
Then I repeat 1&2 so that I do the same thing again. Only use the brass brush for two cleanings before I get a new one

after that I use the tetra bore lubricant run 3 wet patches of it down the barrel then a dry one.

I use some Otis carbon remover when the borescope says it needs it.
it works for me.

To Crush your enemys, See them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of there women.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 11:10 PM
Part of the Community

tried many! butches-kroil blend,montana extreme,sweets,GM TEC, shooters choice, but settled with Bore Tech Eliminator and occasionally Flitz.
with a bore guide and always push out toward the muzzle.

many methods work, just attack the powder first, then copper,carbon then lightly lube. dont strip the barrel then fire without a light film of Kroil or similar, as that copper jacket racing down the bbl on a dry road can let alot of copper fouling, as in a race car lying down a rubber burnout patch on dry stripped pavement,compared to putting down some slick-em....

A "clip" is a clip, aka Def: a device, typically flexible or worked by a spring, for holding an object or objects together or in place.
a "Magazine" is a magazine aka Def: a chamber for holding a supply of cartridges to be fed automatically to the breech of a gun.

so a "clip" holds the "magazine" in place. get it?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Does anyone use marvel mystery oil when they clean there rifles, if so how do you use it.
Drags

Dead groundhogs tell no tales!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page