Virginia Day 2 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By HSY93
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Unread 11-17-2019, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Virginia Day 2

Sitting in a ladder stand at a different property waiting for light. Still pretty windy. Hope to see something today. Other hunters with me saw doe,but they were seen less than 100yds from hard road and I was deeper in. No lack of deer here. See many driving back and forth to hunting locations in fields.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Unread 11-17-2019, 09:04 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Good luck. I used to hunt Amelia County and the surrounding counties quite a bit when I lived in that part of the state.

The sleep of a laborer is sweet, while the rich man tosses and turns, worried about his possessions.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Unread 11-17-2019, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Nothing yet for me. Teenage hunter with use just shot and said he dropped a buck chasing a doe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Unread 11-17-2019, 09:44 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

That's dog country there. If there are a lot of clubs running dogs in the surrounding properties, you can forget seeing rutting activity. They definitely stir up the deer, but rutting activity subsides from my experience. If they are not running dogs nearby you should be okay seeing normal deer patterns. Wait until you see how small the deer body sizes are. You have to kill a really old buck to get a deer of any body size. But yes nice to hunt during the rut. I've seen a lot of good chasing the last couple days.

The sleep of a laborer is sweet, while the rich man tosses and turns, worried about his possessions.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Unread 11-17-2019, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Was counting on clubs running dogs yesterday to move deer but it was dead. Three bucks seen this morning by two others and the one was a 5 point the kid shot. Wind still
fairly heavy. Don’t like it.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Unread 11-17-2019, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaPa hunter View Post
That's dog country there. If there are a lot of clubs running dogs in the surrounding properties, you can forget seeing rutting activity. They definitely stir up the deer, but rutting activity subsides from my experience. If they are not running dogs nearby you should be okay seeing normal deer patterns. Wait until you see how small the deer body sizes are. You have to kill a really old buck to get a deer of any body size. But yes nice to hunt during the rut. I've seen a lot of good chasing the last couple days.
Bucks I have seen people have gotten were pretty descent size. I was surprised. High racks. Big bodies.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Unread 11-17-2019, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Still nothing. 1 1/2 days on stand and nothing. Only one not to see anything. Guess they know there is a Yankee in the tree.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Unread 11-17-2019, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Another deerless morning except for our young hunter.Back in stand for pm hunt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CFD59595-0AFF-44F8-823F-D78BD953C74D_1574021029648.jpg (1.45 MB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 3CECA949-6D3C-4E79-B06F-2093C345D1EE_1574021076682.jpg (2.06 MB, 3 views)
blackpowder likes this.

Last edited by HSY93; 11-17-2019 at 04:05 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in