Sights and Sounds - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Location: Close Enough! At least in the right country and state now.
Sights and Sounds

Of a PA forest.

Went out this morning for my first archery season since 2015 (and that was only one day). I might try to get back out later this afternoon, depends on the family's agenda for today.
Thanks to some great info from a fellow HPA member, I found a spot in the state forest in an area that has plenty of deer sign.

With the limited time I've had for scouting this year I kind of felt like I was going in, not really blind, more like going in without my glasses. But I did get some time to check things out.
I found my way in the dark to the spot I picked out two weeks ago and got myself settled in just before it was light enough to see. No matter where I'm hunting, being a part of the forest as it comes to life for the day stirs a special feeling in me, every time. This morning was no exception.

As the sun began lighting up the tree tops, I finally noticed that it wasnít all that warm this morning, and that I was slightly underdressed for the temps. Still, the cool air felt far better than the sweat inducing heat that was present the last time I was on this ridge. The crispness of the air made the world seem right again.
About a half hour later I caught movement in front of me; a chipmunk scurrying along a log. Shortly after that the squirrels began their daily routine of back and forth, up and down, and generally just being their annoying selves.

It was also about this time that I realized that nothing seemed ďdifferentĒ to me. Even though I havenít hunted in PA since 2011, except for that one day archery hunt in 2015, I hadnít noticed the differences from my hunting locales of the past 7 years and hereÖ. until now. The sights and sounds of the PA forests are that ingrained in me, even with not being in them for so long.
About the only thing the same are the types of trees. The ground brush is different, no such thing as Mountain Laurel in Germany. The sounds and sights of wildlife are different, gray squirrels, chipmunks, the screech of the Blue Jay. All different, yet normal. Iíve hunted over there for 13 years, yet each time Iím out I feel like so much is different. Here it is normal, and in my mind, as it should be.

I had just glanced at my watch, it was 07:59, when I looked over my shoulder and spotted movement 40-50 yards to my left. I slowly turned to look and spotted the unmistakable shape and ears that make up the head of a black bear. Something else not found in my previous hunting area! I watched as he (assuming he, alone and looked to be 150-200 lbs) slowly made his way up the hill and through the laurels. Looked like he was feeding on the acorns as he made his way to rest for the day. Snapped a couple of photos with my phone, but can only kind of see him in one.
He's in the first photo attached.

Now with my mind and senses back to hunting and not nostalgia, I got back to the business of looking for what I came for; the Whitetail deer. As fate would have it, none were seen.

I stayed in that spot until around 10:00 then did a little poking around to look for other stand locations in the vicinity. The area is thick with laurels and Iím a ground hunter, so good spots are hard to find. I did find a trail that I could use for easier access, but it would greatly lengthen the hike in. I plan to explore the area some more, but on Sundays. Sounds like a good reason to take the Frau on a hike.

This seems like a long write up for a one morning hunt that was void of deer sightings, but that is what the sights and sounds of the PA forest do to me!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191005_080228_HDR.jpg (730.8 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 20191005_095746.jpg (1.85 MB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 20191005_080748.jpg (1.41 MB, 25 views)

Shoot straight

People are sick of politicians, and me, I hate cats in the house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 04:08 PM

Don`t apologize for a good story and pics . I feel the same way when I`m in the woods or mountains
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

No apology, just came out longer than I thought it would.

Getting ready to head back out now.

Shoot straight

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 04:31 PM

good luck , keep us posted
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 06:35 PM
Sage

I got in the stand around 6am, didn't see anything but a beautiful red fox abiut 10 feet from my stand until 10 am, Then I saw pieces of 4 deer about 40 yards away in the brush, there may have been more but the leaves are still very thick, 100 could have slipped by me. On the other hand, it was a beautiful day in Penns Woods.
loridr, BCozhunter and Mussgrass like this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 08:37 PM

Made me remember the days when I hunted. Felt like I was right there.

Thank you.
BCozhunter likes this.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 08:41 PM

this time of year my mind wonders about being in the woods and mountains and when I`m there I feel at peace and wonder of what God created
BCozhunter likes this.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quiet evening. Thought I heard something moving around 17:30 but it was so windy I couldn't really tell. I got ready to go just about sunset, because I was on an easterly facing slope and it was getting dark in the woods around me. I put on my backpack, quiver back on the bow, and on my second step to leave some deer blew out of there. I didn't see them but they stopped just above me and started snorting. Something else I have heard in a few years.
Can't wait until next time!

I did see three deer cross the forest road, just down from where I parked, as I was driving out.

Shoot straight

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 10:04 PM

sounds like you had some late action , better late or hot at all . but anytime in the woods is good whether you see something or not
BCozhunter likes this.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Was out this morning for a few hours. Didn't see any deer, but saw this little bugger when I paused as I was walking along a rocky ridge. Saw the body first, then looked north and south to find the head. I did, right next to my calf!
Something else I never saw while in Germany, and wouldn't mind if we didn't have them either.

Picture is turned ninety degrees, not sure how to get it orientated correctly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191011_093612_HDR_1570828409953.jpg (901.6 KB, 35 views)
timberdoodle likes this.

Shoot straight

Last edited by BCozhunter; 10-11-2019 at 06:17 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page