What's up with Diesel Fuel prices? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

What's up with Diesel Fuel prices?

I know that the new PA gas tax was a few cents higher for diesel, but why the sudden increase to more than a dollar a gallon more than regular gas? No internet chatter and no news reports. No one complaining, seems odd.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 03:14 PM

Re: What's up with Diesel Fuel prices?

That's because there are very few independent haulers anymore and companies are back to adding fuel surcharges to the bill. In the old days independents far outnumbered company drivers and when it became unprofitable to drive due to fuel costs they threatened to park their rigs, and the fuel companies caved in.
Every supplier and trash hauler we use has started tacking the fuel cost back on the bills, not as high as 7 years ago but close.

Fuel jumped immediately .12 the day after the new state fuel tax took affect. Saw fuel jump another .12 mid week in Philly this week. I passed a WAWA in the AM and it was [email protected] but on my way back to the turnpike in the PM the same station was posting price on the sign of $3.43.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 03:34 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

The increased demand for home heating oil due to the extended periods of extreme cold has not helped either. Basic supply and demand. A month ago I was paying $3.89 for diesel. Filled up Friday and it was $4.39 at the same place. It [censored] but what can you do but pay it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Yep, same here. Diesel was $3.89 and is now $4.49. The tax on diesel only went up 13 cents, and gas 9.5 cents. I can buy gas for $3.38 a gallon. I don't ever remember a dollar a gallon or more difference. Even in the days when diesel was cheaper than gas.
I heard the same thing about the motor freight industry having their own deals with the suppliers, the natural gas industry must have the same deal.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 08:40 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappybear
Yep, same here. Diesel was $3.89 and is now $4.49. The tax on diesel only went up 13 cents, and gas 9.5 cents. I can buy gas for $3.38 a gallon. I don't ever remember a dollar a gallon or more difference. Even in the days when diesel was cheaper than gas.
I heard the same thing about the motor freight industry having their own deals with the suppliers, the natural gas industry must have the same deal.
Not around here they don't. Fuel surcharges have become a standard in over the road freight, it goes up and down with the price of fuel.
Diesel goes up every Winter, they usually blame it on the cold and demand for heating oil...it's the "shortage" they like to create every Winter. The tax certainly added to the increase this year. It is the 1st time I remember a $1.00 spread between gas as well. The bottom line is......because they can...

Your never to old to learn something stupid
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Yeah I suppose they can keep creating shortages because no one holds them accountable. Politicians are too busy fleecing us with their Green Agenda.
I was checking area prices and it looks like Sayre was still below $4.00 a gallon. Is that possible?

post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 09:13 PM

im almost considering selling or trading in my 07 duramax for a new 3/4 ton gasser
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 09:47 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappybear
Yeah I suppose they can keep creating shortages because no one holds them accountable. Politicians are too busy fleecing us with their Green Agenda.
I was checking area prices and it looks like Sayre was still below $4.00 a gallon. Is that possible?
I doubt that. Most places in Bradford County run right with the price at the Dandy Mini Marts, doubt anyone is that much cheaper than them. Even when the new Sheetz shows up in Wysox this Summer, I will bet they run a price war for a few months to get people through the door, then settle in at same price as Dandys, no need to sell cheaper.

Don't be to quick to sell that Duramax, prices will come back down when weather warms up......still not cheap....but closer to gas price.

Your never to old to learn something stupid
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

LOL! Don't worry, I won't be selling the Duramax anytime in the near future. The 1500 Silverado didn't pull the RV very well. Can't wait to take it out west this year where diesel is still cheaper in some places than gas.
It looks like the price hike on diesel is only the North East.

post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 11:36 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaktowntom
im almost considering selling or trading in my 07 duramax for a new 3/4 ton gasser

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page