Ram 1500 eco diesel - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 88 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Ram 1500 eco diesel

I saw Hillbilly's post in the gas mileage thread, did not want to highjack that thread. Hillbilly, you said your wife had a 14 Jeep with that engine.
How is the power, and overall drivability of it?
Is the pick up on any lots yet, any feedback or estimated mileage on it?

Your never to old to learn something stupid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 88 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 06:53 PM
Part of the Community

Re: Ram 1500 eco diesel

The Jeep runs great! It's also quiet and you can not smell the diesel. Although, I've only driven it a few hundered miles...since it is her's of course. Compared to my HEMI, it lags from a complete stop but that is something to be expected of froma desiel. Once up to speed and on the open road, passing it has the feel of the a big V-8. Haven't towed anything with that however, its rated better than my 1500. She's getting about 26 MPG right now and as I said before that was her driving in 4WD and in the cold. I can assume that it should climb close to 30 "IF" the weather ever breaks.

NO trucks are at the dealers yet. However, they just started ordering them on 1 FEB. Just go into the dealer build your truck they way you want it...Tradesman, Big Horn, Long HOrn, or just a plian ole work truck. and throw that ECO motor in.

The downside to it is that all the other trucks (GAS) have about 4-6k in rebates that you won't see cuz you're ordering the fancy new ECO. Although, if Chrysler changes thier mind and starts offering the rebates beofer your truck arrives you can take advantage of them. Looking about 6-8 weeks for delivery. Prob sooner but that is the company line according to the dealer.

I got it for the increased towing capability with out having to switch to a 2500 seris pick up. Plus the MPG helped in making that choice as well.
post #3 of 88 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Thanks for the info, I am certainly intrigued by the 1/2 ton diesel. Will be interesting to see how it works in the truck, but should be a great set up!!
Keep in mind, Winter blend fuel also hurts MPG, along with the habit of hitting remote start and letting it warm up, so yes, I would expect better MPG from a diesel in the Summer. My pick up, as well as my big trucks all do better MPG in the Summer.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 88 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 08:25 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Send a message via AIM to Rephy212

a youtube page had a review of the 1500 diesel that I was watching. Looks like a cool truck, but with a starting price of somewhere like $50k, who knows how well they will sell. You could get a leftover 3/4 ton for somewhere around that. I'm also interested to see how the Nissan Titan with the 5.0 Cummins V8 is going to be. I wonder if we will see half ton diesels from Ford or Chevy if the Dodge and Nissan take off. You would think they would almost have to. I can't wait to see some on the road and hear some reviews about them. I also wonder how they'd sound straight piped

It Is What It Is Outdoors

post #5 of 88 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Chevy had theirs on the board and working on it before the economy(and them) collapsed. Not sure where it stands now.

post #6 of 88 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 01:06 AM
Part of the Community

I'm really intrigued by the Ram EcoDiesel and how it will perform in a half ton. I get 16 to 18 with my 2011 Ram with Hemi and couldn't imagine 28 mpg. Price wise it will add a few bucks but all full size pickup prices have increased quite a bit. I work at a dealership and believe we will be able to sell them. Here's a article with more details about it. http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php...ficial-mileage
post #7 of 88 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
The Man

<span style="font-weight: bold">The diesel engine adds $2,850 to the cost of the 2014 Ram 1500 Hemi; the diesel includes the eight-speed automatic,</span>

Took the above from the link you posted. That's not a bad price increase for what your getting.

post #8 of 88 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 12:56 PM
Part of the Community

I ordered mine on Monday...a Big Hirn Package and its not even clos3 to the 50K as mentioned in an earlier post.
post #9 of 88 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 01:36 PM
dce
Sage

I tow a heavy horsetrailer most weekends and debated buyng a diesel for years.A few years ago I found a used 06 duramax that they guy only wanted the payoff for.I paid a little over 13k for a truck that dealers were asking right around 25k forAt this point,as long as I'm towing heavy loads,I couldn't imagine buying a gas truck ever again.I also can't imagine paying 60k for something that I beat on pretty hard.I'd probably be willing to pay $2850 for a diesel in a half ton.
post #10 of 88 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 11:51 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Send a message via AIM to Rephy212

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilbilly
I ordered mine on Monday...a Big Hirn Package and its not even clos3 to the 50K as mentioned in an earlier post.
Sorry about that, I must have had bad info on it then. I could have sworn it said they start at or around $50k. If you don't mind me asking, what did your come out to total? Hopefully they really take off, it's neat to see a diesel in a half ton.

It Is What It Is Outdoors

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page