Any f250 owners - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Any f250 owners

Im thinking about stepping up to a 250. Any thoughts or gripes about it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 04:03 AM
The Man

Re: Any f250 owners

I had one in 2005, or close anyway. It was a F350 King Ranch diesel. Rode like crap, was stuck when you first looked off road.
I did have a roomy cab, and nice seats because of the King Ranch package.
I went back to Chevy, but mainly due to personal preference, not because Ford made a bad truck.

Your never to old to learn something stupid
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 06:45 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Send a message via AIM to Rephy212

I have an '06 Power Stroke. How new are you looking to go? Are you looking for gas or diesel? Mine rides really well as opposed to Chevy and Dodge 3/4 tons that I've been in, and actually rode better than my 04 Chevy 1500 did.

Do you haul a lot, and if so what kind of weight and what kind of distances. Diesel fuel in my area is around $4.05 a gallon. That is also something to take into consideration.

Overall, you will get much better fuel economy and an engine that will last longer, but going diesel, your parts are more expensive, and for an oil change, it is 15 quarts of oil, and something around $20 for a filter. I run the 15-40 Motorcraft oil and Motorcraft filter and it runs me around $80 for an oil change. Fuel filters are recommended to be changed every other oil change, and that runs you about $50 for the primary and secondary filter.

As far as diesel goes, your options are the 7.3 (made from 94-03), the 6.0 (03.5-07), the 6.4 (08-10), and the 6.7 (11-present).

The 7.3 is very reliable and relatively low maintenance, but doesn't have the power of the newer trucks, and not near as good of fuel economy.

Despite the 6.0's bad reputation, it honestly isn't that bad at all. To be safe, don't run a performance tuner without head studs. My truck is stock as far as performance goes. I have an EGR delete and a 4 inch turbo back straight piped exhaust, and they sound awesome!

A 6.4 is known for some issues, but you can make lots of power with them. For your best fuel economy, delete the DPF and run a turbo back exhaust. The only downfall with deleting the DPF is that you need a tuner with the capability to erase the whole DPF option from your computer in order for the truck to run. H&S, SCT, and Spartan are popular tuners for this, but very, very expensive.

The previous three engines I mentioned are International engines, but the 6.7 is the first in-house Ford engines. So far, the reviews on it are very positive. The 2011 model is the only one where you don't need DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid). That's an emission thing that sprays it in the exhaust for it to burn cleaner. Those trucks cannot run without DEF. If you were to run out of it, I've read that it will not allow you to go more than 5MPH until you add more.

My brother had an '03 F250 with the v10, and to be honest, the fuel economy wasn't that bad. It towed everything he needed it to tow, but he sold it because he kept having electrical issues, and also had a spark plug that blew out on him (common issues on the 5.4's and v10's).

All in all, I actually love my diesel and really cannot see myself going back to gas unless the price of diesel becomes even more outrageous than it already is. Sure it is more expensive to maintain, but you will have an engine that will last twice as long and get much better power and fuel economy. Think of your needs that you have for it and make your decision based upon that because in the end, you will be the one paying for it.

Hopefully this helped you a little bit, and any questions you have at all, don't hesitate to ask.

It Is What It Is Outdoors

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

I'm actually looking at a 2014. I'm gonna stay w gas instead of diesel. As for hauling, I can still do all with my tundra but I just had the itch. And as for me, when I get an itch I scratch it. I've got some friends with 250 diesels and they love/d them. The one swapped his 250 king ranch for a raptor. I'm about 99% sold on it. Either that or the wife wants to trade her van for some fancy foreign sedan.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 04:04 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

buy her the M3 just don't tell her what it actually is. lol. you run it on occasion on a long trip out the interstate

if you bought it, a trucker brought it
2F
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by comblockshooter
buy her the M3 just don't tell her what it actually is. lol. you run it on occasion on a long trip out the interstate
The way she drives, she'd figure it out. Actually wants a 5 series.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 04:24 PM
The Man

Your wise to stay with gas for your usage.Don,t believe the hype about getting double the life of your engine.Proper maintenance is the key and the Ford,s diesels (IH) milage is terrible and with the price of fuel it,s a no brainer to stay with gas not countin what you just pay for the diesel option.I wouldn,t give up my BB Chevy for the world.I am curious to check out the new Dodge half ton diesel.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 10:03 PM

Ford makes their own diesels now.

2D hunter.
Sponsored by myself - PROSTAFF.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 01:18 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Send a message via AIM to Rephy212

Quote:
Originally Posted by good ole boy
Your wise to stay with gas for your usage.Don,t believe the hype about getting double the life of your engine.Proper maintenance is the key and the Ford,s diesels (IH) milage is terrible and with the price of fuel it,s a no brainer to stay with gas not countin what you just pay for the diesel option.I wouldn,t give up my BB Chevy for the world.I am curious to check out the new Dodge half ton diesel.
My '06 mileage isn't too bad, and the 6.4's aren't bad at all once you delete the DPF. I can only imagine how much the 1/2 ton Dodge diesels will be, as the Jeep Grand Cherokee with the same diesel engine STARTS at $40k. For that price you're almost better off getting the Cummins!!

It Is What It Is Outdoors

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 10:55 PM
The Man

I wouldn,t doubt that a bit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page