Need some input - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Need some input

Looking to put some new tires on my 2004 silverado extended cab. Right now it has hankook geolander 165's i believe. Im looking to put some beefier tires on this time as the hankooks i had were more of a highway type tire. I'd like to put an offroad type tire this time and also probably go to 185's. was also planning on doing a leveling kit or body lift. So i'd like some input on tires you guys are running or what you would recommend. Also, any pictures you have of your rig would be appreciated to give me a better idea.
Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 01:30 AM
The Man

Re: Need some input

Lots of choices out there. Keep in mind, the more aggressive tire, the louder they are, and you get worse tire wear.

With that said, Nitto terra grapplers, Cooper Discoverers, Toyo makes a nice aggressive tire with a 50,000 mile guaranty.
I have run them all, the bigger the outside open lug, the worse mileage and louder they are......but great for traction and looks.
by the way.....it's 265's......and you may get away with as big as 305's with the leveling kit and stock rims.

Your never to old to learn something stupid
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 01:50 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Thanks for the ideas! And yes, 265 not 165, dont know what i was thinking when i typed that haha. Ive heard cooper discoverer tires are fairly low noise for the type of tire they are. I do like the looks of the nitto's as you mentioned. Thanks alot for the ideas!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 12:51 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I got the Cooper Discover CTS on my Tundra and its most quite tire I have ever had , it has less noise then my car tire, good traction also. 65000 miles warranty , 45 day road test.

Life Member NAHC

Garrett AT PRO

USN 1964-1985

Prostate Cancer Survivor
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 01:18 PM
Sage

I have Cooper discovery on my Avalanche. I really like them for ride and silence and they have a better warranty than Wranglers which is what I used to run on all my trucks.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 02:27 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

+1 on the Cooper Discover A/Ts! I have an 04 Avalanche that I put 285s on and I love them. Really improves the look. I didn't do a lift or anything, just cranked up the torsion bars about an inch and a half and had it realigned when they put the new tires on.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 04:24 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

+2 on those Coopers, I run them on my 03 silverado extended cab 1500, love them.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 01:03 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I'm a Michelin guy. If you want an aggressive tread try the LTX A/T2. Michelin tires are quite expensive, but if you plan on driving it for a long time, the expense is worth it. I had a set of LTX M&S that I got 108,000 miles out of. If I wasn't heading into deer season, I'd of ran them for another few thousand miles.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 04:06 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

cooper stt on my 03 sierra

if you bought it, a trucker brought it
2F
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 08:47 PM
The Man

If you want off road traction and decent tread life there's basically none better than the BFG Mud Terrain T/A KM. NOT the KM2 !!!! The ORIGINAL KM !!!

They only come in one size: 256/70/17 ....... which should fit your Silverado just perfectly.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....rrain+T%2FA+KM

(Don't know why this link isn't clickable. Just copy & paste to your browser. It works.)

The Mrs. has a set of these on her Suburban (this is her 2nd set) and you just cannot stop it.

I screwed up and put the KM2's on my Expedition and it was the biggest waste of tire money I ever saw. They stink !!

demokraten saugen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page