Tire Chains - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Tire Chains

What kind do you guys use? Looking to buy a set for hunting season this year just in case. There will probably be 12-18" of snow up around the ANF where i'll be hunting, and I don't want to be stuck without chains. Hardly any phone reception up there and I'm sure the forest rds. will be terrible. Just looking for some reviews before I pull the trigger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 07:04 PM
RB
Sage

Re: Tire Chains

Not sure of the brand but I have the V bar style.

Get spreaders to keep them tight.

A question to go along with this, (I have heard both answers are right) if you have chains for only two tires on a 4WD do you put them on the back or front?

"Only takes a second to change your season" Dad, 1980
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 08:11 PM
The Man

The back by far.You can send away for or by those emergency springy chains at parts stores or probably W/Mart.Or just make up a good chain link one yourself.I betcha Tractor Supply would have the chains already made up.They are on 19 by Gabriel Bros.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 10:36 PM
Frequent Contributor

Super Z LT chains

http://www.scc-chain.com/tire-chain-...es/super-z-lt/

Owners manual should tell you what tires to put them on. Mine says rear tires. I believe its because they can get twisted off when turning too sharp.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 12:57 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB-HPA
A question to go along with this, (I have heard both answers are right) if you have chains for only two tires on a 4WD do you put them on the back or front?
If I only used one set its on the back. For one, if it got loose I don't want to have to look out the rear window to see where I'm going and two, with the limited slip the rear will have majority of the traction even though the bulk of the weight is from the cab forward.

But, today at my age if its bad enough to need chains my butt is stay warm in camp!

Bill
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 01:47 PM
Part of the Community

I was taught on a 4x4 to put them on the back and only run in 2wheel drive.

Be honest with yourself
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 02:21 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I was actually taught never use them to get "in" during the winter. if you had to chain your way in and it snows ,now what.

if you bought it, a trucker brought it
2F
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 03:01 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB-HPA
Not sure of the brand but I have the V bar style.

Get spreaders to keep them tight.

Ideally you want chains on all 4 tires with 4 wheel drive and AWD.
If you have just one set, 2 chains, you decide. Chains on front axle, leaves the rear wheels with no lateral guidance, the rear end might come around - fast.
Chains on rear wheels only, lousy steering (no lateral guidance), marginal braking (remember, 80% of brake force is created at front wheels and without chains that ain't happening).

Now with 2 wheel drive vehicle, you want them on the drive axle. You might also consider putting them on all 4 wheels, due to the same reasons as listed under 4 wheel drive.

Now when your all ready stuck in the ditch, from sliding off the road, whatever wheels you can get chains on, don't ask me how I know.

The way that you wander is the way that you choose,
The day that you tarry is the day that you lose.
Sunshine or thunder, a man will always wonder.
Where the fair wind blows.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 03:25 PM

On my F-350 4X4 never needed chains as long as there is weight in the back. Even with the plow on I have gotten into some really deep snow and got out.
I also have a 12 Escape that is AWD and it is mostly a front wheel drive unless the computer senses a front wheel slip, then the rear wheels engage but only until your going normal again then your back at front wheel drive. Having always had the option to shift into 4 wheel drive
I was not to keen on the idea of letting the computer do the work, but (knock on wood) there has never been a situation where it did not do the job, and once I buried it on the beach.
Just in case I do carry a set of strap on chains for the Escape but never had to break them out.
Good Luck
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-29-2013, 06:12 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Tirechain.com this is a Johnstown company. I don't know that you'll beat their prices.

I'm fortunate to have an older set of 4 chains (no one runs 16 inch tires anymore so they were given to me), and it's incredible the difference it makes in deep snow and ice. I think a set of two are fine for almost any conditions.

I think my brother uses V-bar chains.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page