Wooden Truck Beds?? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
RB
Sage

Wooden Truck Beds??

My son conitunes to work on his 84 k-10, he is at the point now where the bed is off and he is suring up some things as well as planning to take the metal bed into shop to get started on it. We plan to put a temporary woodbed on it so we can continue to drive it and take it hunting (and throw a buck on the back this Fall )

Anyone have any tips on making a wood bed? Becasue it will only be a temp bed we don't need anything too extravegant, just need it to be street legal (taillights, cover the wheels), also easy to get on/off should we need too take it off for steps of the rebuild. It will be spring at least before the metal bed is finsihed and likely going back on .

Thanks in advance.

"Only takes a second to change your season" Dad, 1980
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 03:31 PM

Re: Wooden Truck Beds??

Only issue to watch out for is that trucks with wooden beds require the truck to be titled with an "R" title. I know you're only putting one on temporarly but not sure if you'd run into a legal jam if involved in an accident.(we can't inspect trucks with wooden boxes at the shop is why I'm cautioning you)...might be better to throw a beater metal box on for the winter. Good luck whichever way you go .
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 06:23 PM
Part of the Community

Keep in mind too, the wood bed (if you go that rout) may weight less then the steel. When we put a wooden on on my dads of 75 powerwagon the decrease in weight caused so traction issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
RB
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win Mag 300
Keep in mind too, the wood bed (if you go that rout) may weight less then the steel. When we put a wooden on on my dads of 75 powerwagon the decrease in weight caused so traction issues.
I am pretty sure john would like that fact...LOL

Thanks guys for the good info. We must of got some bad info...we were under the impression if the tires were not exposed and you had tailights you were good to go.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 09:47 AM

I believe if the bed frame & mounts to the frame are steel you'd be okay with a wood floor( like flatbed's you see on equipment trucks). The bed is considered part of the structural strength so using an all wood bed changes that strength drastically in regards to Insurance/ Inspection issues. I personally kinda like seeing some of the wooden beds guys have made...unfortunately if something happens it can get sticky .
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
RB
Sage

You answered my question before I asked it...Thanks.

In talking with my son, he said the same...what about a metal frame flatbed with just a wooden deck. A local guy here make them, same guy I bought my woods trailer from, I am going to call him.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page