Diesel ? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Diesel ?

I am gonna ramble a bit so please stay with me:

I have nothing against ford or chevy but I love my toyota trucks and I will probably never stray from them unless there is a dramatic drop in quality. Now I have traveled overseas a few times in my life and remember seeing lots of toyota diesels in Europe, Central America, and New Zealand. They looked like the old toyota pickup only diesel.

I just saw a commercial for a new BMW 3 series diesel that is available and it got me to thinking, am I ever gonna be able to get a diesel Tacoma in the US? Man that would be sweet.

Huntin Bucks and Crushin Ducks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 03:52 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Diesel ?

There are alot of bad things about diesels most are noisy and stink..Talk to some of the owners who drive them everyday..Alot of them would rather have a gas engine...
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 04:39 PM
The Man

They aren,t near as noisy(which back in the day was considered cool)as they used to be and with the new fuels and injection systems are way more effiencent,quieter and the smell is hardly noticeable except mostly at refueling.Ford dropped the Ranger here but continued building it overseas with a diesel option.My guess is that Toyota probably doesn,t want to go thru the trouble and exspense of meeting U.S.emissions standards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 04:47 PM
The Man

Plus the cost for the Diesel option will be considerably more expensive.I,d think you,d have a better chance of seein one in a Tundra.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 04:48 PM
The Man

Nothing bad about my Duramax.....except the cost...

It is quieter in the cab than a 6.0 gas when pulling hills, the reason being the 6.0's shift down and run higher rpms in the hills.....(not knocking the 6.0's)
The new diesels are very quiet, and they don't stink like the old ones due to new emissions.

I have wondered why Toyota has not introduced a diesel in the states yet, maybe with new emission requirements, and fuel mileage requirements they will have one soon ??

Dodge has the 6cyl diesel coming out in their half tons this year, rumor says Ford and Chevy to follow next year. That is all about MPG/Emission requirements from the Guv't, wouldn't surprise me to see Toyota have something new on the market in next year or two.

Your never to old to learn something stupid
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 04:55 PM
The Man

Her ya go

WALLAND, Tennessee Toyota is eyeing a play from Nissan's product book and may also offer a Cummins turbocharged diesel engine in its Tundra pickup truck line.

Earlier this month, Nissan announced it would offer a turbocharged Cummins V8 diesel engine in its redesigned 2015 Nissan Titan pickup. It is an effort by the Japanese automaker to attract new buyers by boosting the fuel economy and power of its full-size pickup.

"I think Cummins would bring instant name recognition and obviously they are a leader in diesel engine technology," Toyota's Rick LoFaso told Edmunds. "That is not the first time we would have a tie up with somebody else," citing working relationships with Tesla and BMW.

LoFaso is the corporate manager for light trucks at Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A.

Toyota is looking at two powertrains to boost the fuel economy of its full-size Tundra pickup.

The base 2014 Toyota Tundra with a 4.0-liter V6 and five-speed automatic transmission returns 16 mpg in city driving and 20 mpg on the highway, according to the EPA. The 2014 Tundra with a 5.7-liter V8 and six-speed automatic transmission returns 13 mpg in city driving and 18 mpg on the highway.

"The diesel engine is something that is on our evaluation list," LoFaso said during an interview at a press event here. "Hybrid technology is something that is on our evaluation list. Either one of those alternatives could deliver some pretty good real world fuel economy."

No timetable was given as to when a decision would be made.

Earlier this month, at a Nissan press event announcing the diesel engine for the Titan, a Cummins executive told Edmunds the engine maker would have enough capacity to sell its engine to Nissan and another vehicle maker. He would not say if Cummins was in negotiations with Toyota or another vehicle maker.

Until the 2014 model year, no automaker had offered a diesel engine in a light-duty pickup. Chevrolet, Ford and GMC have been silent on the subject.

However, with rising gasoline prices, pickup truck owners and operators are looking for engines that are more efficient such as those operating on diesel fuel. Federal regulations also require vehicle manufacturers to boost the fuel economy of their vehicles.

An added benefit of a diesel engine over gasoline is that it provides more torque, as in power, for transporting or pulling heavier loads.

Chrysler Group announced in June that a turbocharged 240-horsepower 3.0-liter V6 engine would be offered in its 2014 Ram pickup. Italy's VM Motori developed the engine. The company is owned 50-50 by Fiat and General Motors.

Then, earlier this month, Nissan announced that the redesigned 2015 Titan pickup would be available with a 5.0-liter Cummins diesel V8 engine. Final specifications for the diesel engine have not been released. Nissan estimates the diesel engine will have over 300 horsepower and a torque rating in the mid-500s (pound-feet).

Edmunds says: Toyota appears to be yet another truck maker that is anxious to cash in on the Cummins name.

Your never to old to learn something stupid
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 04:58 PM
Part of the Community

Nissan will be putting a cummins in the Titan.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...l-ram/2677569/
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 06:04 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

HammerDown,

When I was in Zimbabwe a few years ago, the PH that I was hunting with had a diesel Tacoma. It was quiet, had good power and did everything he asked of it. I'd love to see them sold here but it's doubtful. I think the emissions requirements are the biggest setback.

I've been driving Ford F250 diesels for 15 years give or take. The only time I ever wished I had my gas trucks back was when the cost of diesel fuel climbed above gasoline and the low-sulphur diesel fuel started showing up at the pump. With that spike in fuel price, the drop in mpg due to the low-sulphur diesel junk and the added cost up front for the diesel engine option, I'm not convinced a diesel is an economically wise choice for those who don't pull heavy loads on a regular basis.

Marcus
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 06:29 PM
The Man

Buzz,I heard too about Nissan getting the Cummins option.They will sell a lot of em.I know money talks but I wouldn,t think Cummins would be sellin to imports.I don,t know if it,s still true but I remember hearin years ago that Ford owned Cummins and remember hearin Ford owner friends mad because Ford owned Cummins but Dodge had the engine.I remember also hearin years ago that they thought they were also gonna be able to order a Cummins but that never happened.As far as I know Ford still uses Navistar(IH)engines.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 06:31 PM
The Man

Also Chevy did offer a diesel in their real early S-10,s.I don,t remember seein one though.Even the Chevy Chevette had a diesel option and I did see those.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page