2006 hemi MPG questions/advice - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

2006 hemi MPG questions/advice

i just bought a 2006 1500 mega cab with HEMI. Its has what seems to be about a 2 inch lift or leveling kit and 285/70/17 cooper AT tires. Few questions. 1- Will this size tire affect mileage much? I got around 12.5-13 mpg on way home and getting around 10.5 now just putting back roads. I understand its a larger motor and wont get the best mileage but [censored]. 2- The exhaust is a head scratcher too, over the rear axle seems to be a smaller muffler Is this normal or a add on from previous owner? The truck is quiet for sure( half as loud as my old 4.7). What are some things I can do to help improve mileage? Oil change, plugs is what Im thinking along with intake clean up. Thanks for any advice or answers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Re: 2006 hemi MPG questions/advice

upon research the mega cabs dont have MDS. question answered.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 12:55 AM
The Man

Be sure the truck odometer and computer were reset to reflect the tire size.......It may be getting better mpg that you realize......check a tank full the old fashioned way.
Bigger tires do hurt your mpg, I have proven that on my own trucks......but they sure look good....

I really doubt plugs and filter will make much of a difference in mpg unless their totally shot.
You may want to try installing a 2004 chevy 5.3.......that should help......

Your never to old to learn something stupid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

I have a hyundai elantra in in the garage that helped improve the TPW agverage on the last truck, gonna try it on tis one too.. (Tank Per Week)
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 06:37 PM
Part of the Community

The leveling kit will affect the milage about 1.25 mpg to the neagative. At least it did for me. Lifting the is goingto add more drag.
Check you spark plugs, dodge uses cheap champion plugs that need changed at ~32,000.I have see MPG start dropping at about 28-29K at about 1 -2mpg. Being there is 16 of them I like use double platinum's, something like the Autolite's that give 5 year's no matter the millage. They will start to fall off about the 3 year. I take them back and get a free set under warranty.
Clean Mas Air censor and (want say throttel body But it is not it)withe spary. The way the crank case vapors are routed back in to the intake like to gum up the backside of the valve(flap). You'll need to hold it open.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 06:50 PM
Part of the Community

Forgot one more thing, if your thruch has the fuel management system that shuts down cylindes for better milage. You need to use 5-20W oil if you don't the higher viscosity oil will not let it perform correctly.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 10:19 AM

Your tires aren't overly big, but they do make a difference. I've done a lot to my 06 Hemi and going from a heavy mud/snow tire to a street tire made the most difference, but even then it was only a couple MPG. Next was the tuner, but for the cost, compared to the saving in MPG, it isn't worth it. Now the fun factor is another story...they make a big difference.

As for plugs, you will find that most have had the best results with the "cheap" stock Champion plugs. I replaced mine at 50k, and while they weren't shot, they looked like they had a lot more than 50k miles on them.

I put a cold air intake (no improvement felt), tuner (nice improvement along with a lot of features), long tube headers (nice gain), high flow exhaust with cats removed (done with the headers so I don't know what they would do on their own), 180 degree t-stat (for the headers) and 4.56 gears (awesome upgrade). I started out stock getting 14-15mpg on normal trips (17-18 on extended runs on the interstate). It went up to 16 with the street tires. Now, after the rest of it, I get 12-13 mpg. But it will get down the strip in the low 14's seconds at a little over 90mph.

Why do they call it common sense when it is so rare.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win Mag 300
Forgot one more thing, if your thruch has the fuel management system that shuts down cylindes for better milage. You need to use 5-20W oil if you don't the higher viscosity oil will not let it perform correctly.
Like was mentioned, I don't think the mega has the MDS, although I shut mine off and never noticed a difference in my every day driving, in MPG or performance. On the interstate, running 75 it made a difference though.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 10:24 AM

Oh, and I forgot to mention, putting around, or even runnign in stop and go conditions knock my MPG dow a couple easily. Getting that aerodynamic brick moving takes a lot of fuel. (gears made it a little better though)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page