Crew cab vs. Extended cab - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Crew cab vs. Extended cab

I have the opportunity to buy an 06 chevy 1500 crew cab with 97000 miles for about $17k. It has the 5.3 with a tow package and all the bells and whistles.
I can also get a 2013 brand new extended cab work truck with a basic power windows locks ac cruise package for about $19k. This truck has the 4.8.
Both trucks are 4x4.
My question is, those of you that have a crew cab, is the room difference that noticeable? And my second question is that we have a 17ft aluminum boat and a 27ft camper, could the 4.8 pull these alright? Is the 4.8 as reliable as the 5.3?

It's not luck if success is consistent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 01:55 PM

Re: Crew cab vs. Extended cab

If truck #2 had the 5.3 I would opt for that, but you tow something large so you are asking a great question. The 5.3 is very strong, not sure about the 4.8 though.

Life Memeber NRA
Life Memeber NAHC
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 02:17 PM
RB
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo93
I have the opportunity to buy an 06 chevy 1500 crew cab with 97000 miles for about $17k. It has the 5.3 with a tow package and all the bells and whistles.
I can also get a 2013 brand new extended cab work truck with a basic power windows locks ac cruise package for about $19k. This truck has the 4.8.
Both trucks are 4x4.
My question is, those of you that have a crew cab, is the room difference that noticeable? And my second question is that we have a 17ft aluminum boat and a 27ft camper, could the 4.8 pull these alright? Is the 4.8 as reliable as the 5.3?
I will never go back to an extended cab from a crew cab ever, even when my kids are grown and gone. Yes the room is noticeable, seats up or down there is NICE room back there. I truly believe the crew cab pick-up is THE perfect vehicle for the outdoorsmen who camps, firewoods, ATvs, hunts, roadtrips etc...no matter if you drive around with one, two or six people.

2. I would take the 5.3l over 4.8l even if i was just hauling groceries. The boat is no big deal, but the camper I am guessing you will see the difference between the two.

But if you are really talking $2K diff on new ext cab 4.8 and 7 years old with 97K miles crew with 5.3...that certainly gives cause for pause, tough question there.

Questions to ask to help you...will you often have backseat passengers or cargo you want inside the cab? And how often do you tow?

IMO, that is great price on the new one, not so much on the old one.

"Only takes a second to change your season" Dad, 1980
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 02:52 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

My father has the 4.8 liter and it has plenty of power..They beefed those engines up to 1200 horsepower and it never blew.. I would never pay 17000 dollars for a truck that has already spent the best part of its life on the road...That guy will have trouble getting rid of it even at 12000 dollars..Forget the 99K truck and put a few more Gs into a brand new one or almost new one..
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 03:00 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB-HPA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo93
Both trucks are 4x4.
I will never go back to an extended cab from a crew cab ever, even when my kids are grown and gone. Yes the room is noticeable, seats up or down there is NICE room back there. I truly believe the crew cab pick-up is THE perfect vehicle for the outdoorsmen who camps, firewoods, ATvs, hunts, roadtrips etc...no matter if you drive around with one, two or six people.

2. I would take the 5.3l over 4.8l even if i was just hauling groceries. The boat is no big deal, but the camper I am guessing you will see the difference between the two.

But if you are really talking $2K diff on new ext cab 4.8 and 7 years old with 97K miles crew with 5.3...that certainly gives cause for pause, tough question there.

Questions to ask to help you...will you often have backseat passengers or cargo you want inside the cab? And how often do you tow?

IMO, that is great price on the new one, not so much on the old one.
What RB said, If you can get a new one with a 4.8 for 19, I wouldnt even think about a used truck.

Founder and Proud Member Potter County Hunting Stinks Club
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 04:31 PM
dce
Sage

I had a 99 silverado with a 4.8.It ran great and got decent gas mileage.I used to haul a 2 horse trailer with it all the time and it did fine although you knew it was behind you.Personally,I wouldn't be hauling a 27 ft camper with 1/2 ton unless you haul it very sparingly.I do a lot of heavy hauling every week and would never go back to a 1/2ton if I did half the hauling I do now.If I only towed once in a while,I wouldn't have a 3/4 ton.

I've had several extended cabs and currently have a duramax crew cab.If I didn't constantly have kids getting in and out I wouldn't care much.Since I do,I'll take the crew cab over the extended cab.Put a bed extender on it and the loss of bed space won't matter.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

To answer a few questions, we take several fishing trips a year to lake Ontario with 3 guys, I will either get a cap or a good toneau cover so I wont NEED the extra cab room besides passengers but I won't be riding back there so what do I care I guess. Our camper is a 3 or 4 times a year thing so it shouldnt be a problem I suppose. I thought the crew cab price was steep but it blue books for around 19k and is a niiice truck. I've got some shopping to do still so we will see.

It's not luck if success is consistent.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 06:32 PM
The Man

CREW CAB! 4 DOORS.

I am one of the guys who get stuck in the back of extended cab trucks. Not fun when you are 6'1" Plus car seats would be rediculous. I am going to get a 4 door truck when i up grade.

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 06:47 PM
The Man

I would keep shopping. Good time of the year to be in the market. Chevy new body style is coming out on the 2014 half tons, so there should be some good deals, good finance on any 13's on the lots over the next few months.

Personaly, I would recommend you go crew cab, 5.3....over the xcab/4.8.......the 5.3 crew should also hold a much better resale value.

Your never to old to learn something stupid
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 06:48 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Unless my something in my life changes, my next will be a Tacoma Crew Cab. I have a 04 Tundra extended right now. Even going to a smaller size pickup there is a difference in the back.
My major complaint of the extended is in parking lots. When you want to put shopping bags in the back, you first have to open the front door, then the back , which opens in the opposite direction. Now you're stuck between two door, the car parked along side of you, and the shopping cart is still behind the rear door, it's a big pain.

The way that you wander is the way that you choose,
The day that you tarry is the day that you lose.
Sunshine or thunder, a man will always wonder.
Where the fair wind blows.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page