Looking to buy a new (used) Chevy... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Looking to buy a new (used) Chevy...

Well I'm in the market for a new truck... I currently have a 02 extended cab LT with 135,000 on it. Starting to rust pretty good on the drivers side cab corner and some paint popping around the wheel well on the bed.
I'm looking to spend around 25,000 on a new one, but I have a few questions. How much more do you get with the Z71 package over the 4x4 LT package, and is it worth it?I am a fan of the 5.3 over the 4.8 for sure.
I am also torn between extended cab or crew. I realize you gain something like 4" of cab and lose 6" of the bed with the crew cab. I have a one year old, and I am expecting a daughter in August, so i'm thinking a little extra room will be needed with the kids. Although my extended cab now seems to have decent room, I'd like to hear pros and cons of both. I just figured since i'll be running with two car seats at times, I'm leaning more towards crew cab.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 08:18 PM

Re: Looking to buy a new (used) Chevy...

get the crew well worth the bed loss to gain cab room

take a kid hunting and fishing it will keep them out of trouble
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 08:31 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I made the switch from 8 foot bed to extended cab when our daughter was about your child's age. Within 8 months I went and bought a true four door cab. It was miserable putting carseats etc in and out of extended.
I was a diehard Chevy guy. Sat in a buddy's Tundra (which I was giving him a rash about owning) and went and bought one. I have put 120,000 miles on it. Still rides great. Only replaced tires and brakes.
To answer your question get the Z71 package. It has a couple extra "comforts" you will wish you had.

The United States of America has the greatest people on earth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 11:30 PM
The Man

I think it is a no brainer in your position to get the crew cab.
As far as the Z71 goes, ask your dealer for sure, but last I knew, the Z71 option didn't add a lot of necessity's. It had skid plates, diff shocks etc. More of a gimmick than a deal. Look at LS, LT,LTZ.....and what options are important to you.

I bought a 95 1/2 ton years ago, a plain jane truck. Put wheels and tires, and Z71 stickers on it.......when I traded it, dealer thought it was a factory Z71.........I also bought a new 2002 2500 duramax......no Z71 package available back then for a Diesel. I bought the deacals and put them on the truck......had the only Z71diesel around...................

Your never to old to learn something stupid
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 12:58 AM
The Man

When I ordered my 1998 Chevy 3500 454 5 speed I ordered it with the commercial truck package,heavy duty work Cheyenne plain jane with no options that weren,t beneficial to work.It has the skid plates,oil cooling,etc.and it is not a Z71 cause it,s the real deal not a decal package.Heck I even got the base steel wheels and it looks great and works even better.It was right around $20 grand out the door back then.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 01:07 AM
RB
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wash Co_Archer
Well I'm in the market for a new truck... I currently have a 02 extended cab LT with 135,000 on it. Starting to rust pretty good on the drivers side cab corner and some paint popping around the wheel well on the bed.
I'm looking to spend around 25,000 on a new one, but I have a few questions. How much more do you get with the Z71 package over the 4x4 LT package, and is it worth it?I am a fan of the 5.3 over the 4.8 for sure.
I am also torn between extended cab or crew. I realize you gain something like 4" of cab and lose 6" of the bed with the crew cab. I have a one year old, and I am expecting a daughter in August, so i'm thinking a little extra room will be needed with the kids. Although my extended cab now seems to have decent room, I'd like to hear pros and cons of both. I just figured since i'll be running with two car seats at times, I'm leaning more towards crew cab.
Get a crew...kids grow legs quick, you will need the room. 2500HD has a 6'+ short bed.

Z71 is just a sporty decal, some skid plating, and shocks...no deal breaker advantages. That said my last 4 have been Z's but I would not pass on a truck I like cause it ain't a Z71. You likely could get one of those lease bring back crews for $25K, if you want to upgrade the off road side, likely better in looks and performance too.

I will never go back to extended cab now that i had 2 crews...never, even once the kids are grown and gone. in my mind the crew is the PERFECT hunting family man vehicle.

"Only takes a second to change your season" Dad, 1980
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer archer
I was a diehard Chevy guy. Sat in a buddy's Tundra (which I was giving him a rash about owning) and went and bought one. I have put 120,000 miles on it. Still rides great. Only replaced tires and brakes.

Another day in paradise. God hunts on Sundays.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 11:07 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Other than what has already been mentioned,one item on the Z71 off road package is the limeted slip rear. You can get a limeted slip without the package however. Just check inside the glove box for the "spid" on it check for a G80 code,this is the code for the limeted slip.

Most people that want a good heavy duty 1500 without all the bells and whistles order the Max Trailering Package, even if they never tow a thing. This gives you the big rear, 3.73 gears, G80 Limeted Slip,4 wheel disc brake, and a host of other honest heavy duty equiptment. It's also the way to back door a high performance half ton! My son got a 6.2, 405 Hp, 6 speed, 3.73 gears, with no active fuel management, in a 4x4! It's a heck of a truck with no decals to give it away.

It's breeding,training...and something unknown.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-31-2013, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

Just an update on this... I shopped around, looked at quite a few used trucks, but none felt like they were the right truck for me. I was trying to sell my 2002 ext-cab for three weeks and got nothing but low-ballers and people with big ideas but no money. I Heard about the rebates and incentives Chevy was offering on new 2013's so I looked into it. I have never owned a brand new vehicle in my life, so my hopes weren't that high. I knew these trucks sticker around 40,000+ and my spending limit was set around 25,000 by the boss AKA wife.
To make a long story short, I ended up getting a great deal on a new 2013 Silverado Z-71 All-Star Edition crew cab out the door under 25,000! After they added up all the rebates and incentives, it knocked almost 10,000 off, and I got what I wanted for my trade in as well. Now its time to add a few modifications stainless 5" nerf bars, a 2" rough country leveling kit, and of course a white "HPA" sticker to match the paint are first on the list. Does anybody have experience with leveling a truck under warranty? I heard it can void your warranty, but the service manager said he would "take care of me" I plan on keeping this truck for a long time, and with a 70,000 mile bumper to bumper along with limited lifetime powertrain warranties, I don't want to void them.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-31-2013, 03:43 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Congrats, what motor did you get? I still have the 03 Z-71 I bought new, 235,000, still rolling, original motor, trans, and rear. Sounds like you got a great price, that's about what I paid for mine in 03.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page