Fords Eco Boost - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Fords Eco Boost

We have had some good discussions in the gas vs.diesel thread and I would like to start a thread on the Eco Boost.I priced it when it first came out and it was a very expensive option.Have any of you all bought one and or do you all think it is worth the extra cost and would you take it over a V8?At the price it was when it first came out it would be hard to not go with the v8.I don,t know what the current price is though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 12:02 AM

Re: Fords Eco Boost

Buy a toy you wont regret iy
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 12:15 AM
Frequent Contributor

When I got my truck earlier this year, I got a $1000 incentive for having the V8. After researching the ecoboosts I did not think the gas mileage was all that better. I also saw a lot of complaints about the engines cutting out when one would try to accelerate quickly on the highway. Apparently there was some sort of problem with the computer chips. I'm not sure if they worked that out yet. So far I love my V8. Took it to Canada and back, with no problems. We didn't have to get our first tank of gas until upper Maine. Which meant we did not have to refuel in Canada.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
The Man

post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 12:39 PM

My mom's neighbor has one. Highway mileage is good and the power is there, but he tows a 30' travel trailer. When he's pulling that thing he gets single digit mpg because the turbo is engaged almost constantly. I don't see much difference at all with 5.4L when I'm pulling my camper, but it only weighs 3500lbs(maybe 1mpg less). My wider/taller tires dropped my mpg from a little over 17 to right at 15(trans/speedo properly corrected for tire size). Wouldn't have made that much of a difference if I had some decent gears, but 3.55's aren't the best when you go up in tire size. By this time next year I'll probably have 4.10's installed.

I test drove an ecoboost and I was impressed with it, but the price outweighed the advantage and I felt it was just too new. I know it's just a turbo on a V6 and that's well proven, but I just didn't like the 'newness' of it(all in my head I recon).

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 03:27 PM
Frequent Contributor

After driving both I found that the V8 is a turd and the turbo V6 is fun to drive. The V6 is just way over priced. I don't understand why though. The technology has been around forever.

The little bit of money you save on fuel with the V6 will be spent later down the road to replace the tiny turbos when they give out. I'd just hold off on buying an ECO Boost till they come out with a turbo V8.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 12:41 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBlaster
After driving both I found that the V8 is a turd and the turbo V6 is fun to drive. The V6 is just way over priced. I don't understand why though. The technology has been around forever.

The little bit of money you save on fuel with the V6 will be spent later down the road to replace the tiny turbos when they give out. I'd just hold off on buying an ECO Boost till they come out with a turbo V8.
Fords new 5.0L V8 a turd? IMHO, its a lot of things and a turd sure ain't one of them. The old 5.4 is huge turd compared to the new 5.0, I've had both and can't think of one thing about the 5.4 that is better.
I've got 20k on my 5.0L now and love it! Plenty of power to do or haul anything you have any business hauling with a 1/2 ton truck and decent fuel milage to boot. My dad has an ecoboost and is having trouble with it cutting out. He's had it back to the dealership a couple times now and they insist nothing is wrong.

Im a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 03:16 AM

Mileage?

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 03:19 PM
The Man

<span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Owner suit says Ford's EcoBoost engine defective</span></span></span>
Three Ohio drivers are suing Ford Motor, claiming the company's highly touted six-cylinder EcoBoost engine is defective.

Their suit says the 3.5-liter V6 EcoBoost engine can shudder, shake and then rapidly lose power while drivers are accelerating. Two of the plaintiffs, a married couple, say their 2010 Ford Taurus SHO has lost power and stalled on multiple occasions. The third says he has lost power when he was accelerating in his F-150 pickup.

The lawsuit says more than 100 drivers have complained to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration about the V6 EcoBoost rattling or losing power. Ford hasn't recalled any vehicles for the alleged defect, and NHTSA hasn't opened an investigation, which is often the first step in the recall process.

The lawsuit claims Ford has acknowledged the problem in communication with dealers, but hasn't informed owners. The lawsuit was filed late last week in U.S. District Court in Columbus. A similar lawsuit involving different drivers was filed last month in U.S. District Court in Louisiana.

Ford declined to comment Tuesday, saying it hasn't seen the lawsuit. The company wouldn't say how many vehicles it has sold with the V6 EcoBoost engine -- though it has previously bragged about sales of the V6 vs. V8 in its pickup trucks.

Ford has been selling vehicles equipped with the V6 EcoBoost since late 2009. It's standard on the Taurus SHO model and an option on the Ford Flex,, Lincoln MKT and Lincoln MKS sedans from the 2010-2013 model years; the F-150 pickup from the 2011-2013 model years; and the Ford Explorer Sport from the 2013 model year.

Ford also makes four-cylinder and three-cylinder EcoBoost engines, but those aren't cited in the lawsuit. All three engines use turbocharging and direct injection to give them, Ford says, the power of a larger engine with the fuel economy of a smaller one. It has had to recall the 1.6-liter four cylinder used in the new Escape and other models for problems increasing the risk of fire.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...ecall/2161123/

John Adams - "One useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress."
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 04:01 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I've been a Ford guy most of my life, when I heard about the ecoboost I did a little research, bad idea Ford.
The bottom line is it's a super charged engine. Race car drivers have been using them for years, but they only need the engine to last for 500 miles.
You can probably get a race horse to plow part of a field faster than a Clydesdale, but if you want the whole field plowed, and not kill the horse you use a work horse.
Same with engines, if your going to need extra power now and then, get a bigger engine, don't over work a smaller one, you'll only kill it.

The way that you wander is the way that you choose,
The day that you tarry is the day that you lose.
Sunshine or thunder, a man will always wonder.
Where the fair wind blows.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page