Chip Question - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Chip Question

Last night wile researching an oil pressure gauge fluctuation issue on my Sequoia one of the forums had an add from GForce for a Tundra performance chip boasting an increase in power and MPG. http://www.gfchips.com/toyotatundra.aspx I don't know that I need the power the dang truck will pass anything BUT a Gas Station but the extra 5 to 7 mpg would be nice. Has anyone here had experience with these chips?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 11:14 AM

Re: Chip Question

I just installed(literally, Tuesday) a tuner on my truck (F150) with some custom tunes. I don't know what the mpg difference is going to be, but the butt dyno sure noticed a huge improvement in the power department. Time will tell on the mpg....just as soon as I stop standing on the gas pedal!

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 06:44 PM

To get more HP you will use more gas its a fact and dont let anyone tell you diff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 01:06 AM
The Man

Very true.You will never get more m.p.g.from that install.You are pretty much guranteed you will see a noticable drop unless you stay relatively mild.An honest Co. will tell you that as I have had tech talks with such reps.You got to give something up(m.p.g.) to get somethin(power)unless your talkin a highly restricted chocked down system which is a thing mostly in the past today.Todays autos are pretty much tuned for their max economy that they can produce.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 01:37 AM

I'm not sure if that was supposed to be to me or not about the mpg stuff. Either way, don't take this personally, just my experience/observations/research.

I'm not in any way looking for more mpg out of my setup. If it happens, great! It is known to happen with my truck when tuned....albeit marginally. Ford goes above and beyond to de-tune their trucks so they'll run on anything for anyone, anytime, anywhere(as they should). I'm sure all the manufacturers do. I have specific needs for my truck and had a custom tune written to meet those needs. Because I'm going to run the same gas and do the same things 99% of the time I can very well see a mpg improvement from stock.

All that said, I have no idea if these chips really work or not for that purpose. There's a lot of mixed opinions out there from my searching. I'm sure there's a Tundra(or several) dedicated site that could offer some serious insight into this stuff. Might be worth the extra couple bucks for a tune vs. a chip if that's available. Chips aren't cheap....nor are tuners and tunes. If you're going to spend the money it's probably best to do the research before dropping the coin.

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 09:25 AM

A couple weeks ago I was on a Chevy forum doing some research on back up camera's (thanks to JasonN) and I noticed an ad for the chips you're talking about.

I was intriqued so I did a little looking around on the net for info about them. It didn't take very much looking for me to believe they are a total scam. If that chip did what they are claiming it does they'd be charging $500.00 for it.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 03:07 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stack e'm high
To get more HP you will use more gas its a fact and dont let anyone tell you diff
Sorry but that's completely false... Vehicles are tuned pig rich from the factory. Leaning out the air/fuel ratio and simply advancing the timing adds HP believe it or not. You could pick any new vehicle off any given car lot, advance timing a degree or two and gain HP and fuel mileage.

Also guys, before you go spend several hundred bucks on a handheld tuner or "chip" go talk to a performance shop that deals with your type of vehicle. There's some decent handhelds out there that will increase the performance of your vehicle but you have to keep in mind that no two engines are the same. A tune installed on one vehicle will not deliver the exact same results for another. Put the money up and have your car/truck tuned on a dyno by a pro.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 03:14 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTman
I was intriqued so I did a little looking around on the net for info about them. It didn't take very much looking for me to believe they are a total scam. If that chip did what they are claiming it does they'd be charging $500.00 for it.
I'm glad you did some research on the topic before diving in. A large amount of the "chips" on the market do nothing but alter the amount the gas pedal needs to be depressed in order to open the throttle body. You may only have the gas mashed half way but the throttle blade is completely open. It's an easy way to trick people and it's sad that so many companies are taking advantage of people.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page