One of the best CHEAP mods ever! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

One of the best CHEAP mods ever!

So, I recently bought a new-to-me 2010 F150 to replace my ailing 2002 F150. When I was test driving one of the newer trucks I liked the rear view camera that popped up on the mirror when put in reverse. My truck didn't have this, but I found myself lusting after a setup like that. Well, I don't have it in the mirror, but I do have a camera that I can use to hook up the camper or boat or whatever. I researched, googled, read pages of forums, etc. I now have it all mounted up and it looks good, as close to OEM as I could make it without buying the mirror(the expensive part!). I did the entire set-up for less than $70...not including the zip-ties and tape I already had.

In a nutshell, you need a camera, somewhere to mount the camera, the power and video lines, a monitor and somewhere to put it.

In my truck there's a few options for mounting the camera. I could put it in the Ford emblem on the tailgate, in the tailgate handle or on the license plate. If you're into drilling holes in your vehicle you can put it where ever you want to...like in the bumper! I opted for the handle mount.

I ran the power for the camera to the 7-pin trailer connector using the reverse line and the ground. This way, the camera only comes on when I put the truck in reverse.

The AV line I zip-tied right along the main harness and took it up into the cab through a grommet under the kick plate on the driver's side door jamb.

From there I ran the AV line under the kick plate and into up into the panel by the E-brake....then under the dash to the right side of the steering wheel. Just under the 4X4 switch there's a little 'cubby' hole that I was going to mount a 3.5" monitor over just like this guy did:

I didn't love that....looks kind of gawdy to me. So, I pulled the trim off and removed the little cubby box and mounted the monitor under the trim with double sided mounting tape. Looks great and clean and, if you didn't know any better, factory.

I wired in the monitor power & ground to 'something' in the connectors in the kick panel by the E-brake. I have no idea what specifically though. I just used my multimeter to find the ground and then I did the same to find a 12V line when the key was on(dead when off so as not to drain the battery). I didn't have a helper to hold the brake or I would have put the power in the reverse line up there too, but I don't trust the E-brake(even though it works just fine) to be laying around, half hanging out the door with the truck running and in gear. Now that I think about it, I guess I didn't need to have it running, just in reverse. I'll probably find the reverse line tonight and change it actually.

All the lines are tucked and zip-tied in place so there's nothing hanging or even visible without looking up under the dash. Took me about two hours to do the whole thing. Now I just need some more light out back for hitching up in the dark, but that's another day!

Hope you enjoyed this little write up. I imagine you could do something similar with virtually any vehicle. Camera and monitor might be a little different, but I did find in all my searching that there is a tailgate handle with a camera hole available for almost every truck out there. I did this strictly for hooking up 'stuff' for towing. I don't need a big field of view back there, just a view of the ball and a little behind and it works great for that! One other note, these aren't pics of my truck...I grabbed them from various other forums since I didn't take pics of my install. If anyone has any questions about doing this I'd be happy to help out since I feel comfortable with it. I know some guys are reluctant to tap into vehicle wiring, but it's no big deal if you have a little knowledge and the right tools....honestly, all you need is a multimeter to verify...a test light will work too.

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 05:05 PM
The Man

Re: One of the best CHEAP mods ever!

thats impressive!

John Adams - "One useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress."
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 11:56 PM
RB
Sage

AGREED...Very impressive Jason!!

"Only takes a second to change your season" Dad, 1980
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 12:35 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Great Post! Thanks for sharing.

It's breeding,training...and something unknown.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

It was one of the easiest things I've ever done to a vehicle to be honest. On a scale of 1-10 for difficulty I'd put it at a 2! It was more the time to do it than anything.

If you tow things often (or not so often even) it's a super easy and almost invaluable aid. No more lousy directions from the wife or getting out, checking alignment, back in, repeat until you get it there. I regret not doing this with my last truck!

Works great when backing into tight spots too. I'm considering putting one up front just for grins & giggles. Since the monitor I bought has two auto-switching AV connects I could easily do it by just mounting a camera and running a line...everything else is already there and ready to go. Put it in reverse and it switches automatically to the rear camera.

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 12:49 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I agree with the other guys, that looks great.

Free Madcatter!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 11:36 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Great post thanks for sharing.

My Sequoia came factory with one and I agree its great for hooking up the camper, boat and utility trailer.

"Now that you brought that up hang onto your paddle, and if ya hit any rocks don't hit em with ya head" Lewis
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 06:10 PM

You'll always know where you've been!

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danesdad
You'll always know where you've been!
...but only when I put it in reverse!

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 11:00 PM
The Man

I was just looking at one of those last week. Nice job detailing the mod.

“did you get all that on camera sport?”

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page