Bed Liner - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Bed Liner

Any thoughts on spray on v. drop in liners. I was set to get a Line-X sprayed on, but I have heard of some problems with durability. My friend has had several tears in his after scraping with rake and pitchfork and the material never looks like it was sprayed on as deep as it should be. Now I'm leaning towards the drop in liners. I get get a good used one for $100. I run a tonneau, so rust isn't a huge concern.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 11:01 AM

Re: Bed Liner

I have always used the rubber bed mats in all my trucks. With the bed liners when you brake everything slides forward and they are hard on the knees when you have to crawl into the bed. I always use a cap on my truck.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

I have a tonneau. I would like side and tailgate protection. The mat might work on top of one or the other>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 05:07 PM
The Man

I have a line x and i'm not easy on it. I have yet to have a problem. that being said i wouldn't hesitate to get one. I will have it applied to a my new truck as well if and when that day ever comes.

John Adams - "One useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress."
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 12:51 PM

I have only personally had drop in liners. That said, my FIL has a sprayed in liner....I think It's Line-X. While the durability I would rate the same, there's a glaring difference that I noticed. With a spray in liner you still can dent the bed...while say tossing firewood into it. With a drop in they pretty much absorb and spread the impact load and there's no denting of the metal underneath. However, drop-in liners will wear through the paint right down to the metal and CAN cause it to rust. I've never had that problem though because as the liner vibrates and shifts around wearing away the paint it also essentially polishes and keeps the wear areas polished....so no rust as long as you drive your truck regularly anyway.

If you're not hauling heavy stuff or dropping/tossing heavy stuff into the bed all the time I'd probably opt for the spray-in. Either way, the bed is protected.

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 06:39 PM

I've had drop ins, spray ins, and rubber mats. each one has it's advantages and disadvantages depending on how you use your truck.

When I had a truck with the drop in liner, I didn't like it all that much until I had to haul dirt or river rock. Then, it was great. Obviously, the spray in and the mat don't allow the cargo to slide around as much. The mat didn't protect the sidewalls of the bed, but you could toss cement blocks in from a distance without worrying about the bed. Plus, you can remove the mat every now and then. I did that about once a year and I washed and waxed the bed (water from rain and such will get under the mat). When I traded that truck in, the bed that was under that mat was the nicest looking part of the body. I have a spray on now and hauling firewood and my quad around in the truck hasn't caused any noticeable damage.

It really depends on what you use your truck for as to which is best IMO.

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 11:11 PM
The Man

I always wanted to get the colored Line-X. Never did. I've run with mats on the last two trucks. It's a truck, something's gonna get beat up. I keep the trucks about 10yrs or so. Like DD said, It really depends on what you use your truck for as to which is best.

“did you get all that on camera sport?”
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 06:11 PM

How about a combination of drop in or spray in with a the rubber mat on top of it. Kinda like a convertible kinda deal.

Life Memeber NRA
Life Memeber NAHC
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 10:29 PM
Part of the Community

I didn't feel like coughing up all the cash for Line X so I did it myself w/ Duplicolor bed armour from the local auto parts store. Took me a day and a half to complete but its held up now for 3 years w/ out any issues. I really spent most of the time on the prep of the bed. Nice thing was that the can I bought was for an 8ft bed and mine is a 6ft so I was able to lay it on abit thicker.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 11:45 PM

My current truck has the Rhino lining in it and so far I like it a lot. Last truck had a plastic drop in liner. Like others have said it depends on what your hauling, but both has their advantages and disadvantages.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page