A kid and his "new" truck...follow the rebuild - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 67 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
RB
Sage

A kid and his "new" truck...follow the rebuild

Well my son has been a pick-up truck guy since he could walk so as he approached 16 it should not been of no surprise to me that getting a truck to call his own and put some sweat equity into would entirely take over his life and mind. As a sophomore in HS he has chose to follow this love into the automotive field and is currently enrolled in auto-body tech through the school’s career center , so he is spending half his school day in the body shop and the other hitting the books. He is doing well in fact took 4th at the Skills USA competition as a sophomore with only a couple months of teaching has a knack and passion for it no doubt.

Anyway every night since Sept or so, I would come thru the door after work and be shown a daily line up of 1980-90s trucks all over PA and elsewhere. Some were too good to be true (aka scams), some were gone before we called, some had all the work done already ans a price to match, some were sold before we could get there to look, some had one issue we could not get past....it was a long process but also fine tuned what we wanted, strong mechanically from 80-90's, but needing some cosmetic TLC that could train John on plenty of aspects of restoration.

Fast forward to mid February and a planned trip down to see my folks, well this opened up some new turf to look over for trucks available and with a willing Pap to go test out a few before we got down there we searched. The requirements, good frame, good engine, no rust thrus…along comes this 1984 Chevy shortbed, professionally rebuilt 350 engine, dual exhaust , new stereo (old one was AM/FM cassette I bet LOL) with 3” body lift, and some extras. Along with the strong frame and strong engine , some new panels that just never got finish work. The guy we bought it from got it from his Dad when he passed, his dad rebuilt the engine and now he simply did not have time or money to finish the project and therefore the PERFECT fit for a budding autobody guy who has a body shop, tools, materials and great instruction at his disposal until early June when school ends anyway.

So Presidents day weekend the deal was done, and we brought home John’s first truck,driving it 150 miles no issues. It is a thirsty thing much like my 2009 and will be more project than a daily driver because of that, but I am sure it will get its miles on these back roads , Friday night football games, hunting season, running into town for some stuff …etc.. Closer to finishing he plans to show it in two local car shows as well later in Summer. the plan is it will be a solid red color, with a white pinstripe when done (high school’s colors red and white).

The tailgate went in first and has been sanded and is all ready for prime and paint, and the truck currently is getting a full mechanical lookover at a local garage that specializes in lifted and older vehicles, so far nothing major, and we continue to cross our fingers there.

Anyway thought you guys would like to see the <span style="font-size: 20pt">before </span>of this truck so you can appreciate the after once reached, and one happy kid who got the blank canvas he has wanted since he was 5 years old, he always loved the old boxy Chevy's…I am as excited as he is to see it come together, and as always wanted to take my HPA brothers along for the ride.

John with truck

Mine and his back home and sharing a driveway.

Interior

motor

Stance

"Only takes a second to change your season" Dad, 1980
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 12:21 AM

Re: A kid and his "new" truck...follow the rebuild

Great classic body style. I can't wait to see the progress. Why is he smiling from ear to ear?
post #3 of 67 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 12:24 AM

What!?! No HPA sticker!

I remember him pestering the heck out of you at the HPA pheasant hunt to look at some truck a couple hours away. Good for him. I look forward to seeing the work in progress.

I don't have ducks. I don't have rows. I have squirrels. And they're drunk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 67 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 12:25 AM

In Memory of LCPL Ralph Fabbri 9/29/89-9/28/10
Semper Fi, Brother
Never forget!
post #5 of 67 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
RB
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckethead
What!?! No HPA sticker!

I remember him pestering the heck out of you at the HPA pheasant hunt to look at some truck a couple hours away. Good for him. I look forward to seeing the work in progress.
LOL it got one when we got home...one of the first things he did. As We did have to peel a couple old ones off too...the "hows my driving, 1-800-eat and Gas......,no one rides for free. I am serious there both were on there.

We did keep the PA terrorist hunter permit one and all parts/race related ones.

And yes that is about when the search started..

post #6 of 67 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 12:33 AM

Best of luck.

NOTE TO VEGETARIANS: My food poops on your food! Enjoy your salad!!!
post #7 of 67 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
RB
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by InVenangoNow
Great classic body style. I can't wait to see the progress. Why is he smiling from ear to ear?
Cause i just forgave his auto loan...LOL

post #8 of 67 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 12:45 AM
The Man

Ha Ha ...Can't ask for more than that!
post #9 of 67 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 12:47 AM
The Man

Very cool. Brings back memories .
Good luck with the restoration. Easy to work on.

Your spot I NEVER go back
My spot I expect the same
post #10 of 67 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
RB
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOTOXEN
Very cool. Brings back memories .
Good luck with the restoration. Easy to work on.
We got the LMC Truck restoration catalog today,about 100 pages flagged already ...LOL

Thanks all for the comments, John says thanks too....he took about 10 pics of the tailgate as he worked on in it at shop on his phone, he will have a full album of the restoration when he is done , step by step I am sure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page