Undercoating a truck - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Undercoating a truck

Would appreciate some input. Any places in Central Pa that do them? I don’t hear many good things about the rubberized coatings. What about used oil? Thanks for the feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 09:33 PM
Frequent Contributor

I've had my truck for 20 years, no undercoating or oil. Just make sure you rinse it good underneath if the weather warms up during the winter and then again in the spring. I've had some break lines rust out and started to get some bubbling around the fenders, which I had fixed. Don't know if undercoating or oil helps, have heard mixed reviews. Here she is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2700.jpg (102.4 KB, 17 views)
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 11:02 AM
Regular Visitor

Gary's did my truck bed with Maxguard and it's amazing, he also does undercoating. Check out his website.

https://garyscustompaintinginc.com/services/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 11:16 AM
Frequent Contributor

I get all my trucks and cars undercoated at Elliott's Undercar in Butler. It's not the rubber stuff and not the oil, more like a thick sticky grease. What he uses and the way he does it works great. Been doing me stuff years with good results. Had him do several used trucks also.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 11:38 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have noticed a lot of the newer trucks are rusting over the rear wheels... I was told one of the three manufacturers are using a chemical on the frames that inhibits rust sprayed on during the manufacturing process... A lot of body shops are not fixing rust anymore because very little profit most are doing insurance repair which has higher profits...
325wsm likes this.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 09:55 PM
Part of the Community

I have used chassy paint it will not rust and it stops rust one thing about it is it will not come off so wear gloves and put cardboard on the floor it will not come off period
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Thanks for the responses. I have found a couple places semi-locally. One uses a New Hampshire Oil Undercoat and the other uses Berkebile Oil. I’ll probably use one of them and see how it works out.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 08:31 AM
New Arrival

Iíve heard good things on fluid film. Did my new F150. So we will see.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 02527951-4CAC-4DFA-8B94-E293E9D47905.jpeg (108.1 KB, 3 views)
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 01:21 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3888 View Post
Iíve heard good things on fluid film.
Been using it for years after a chemical engineer and hopelessly crazed car nut turned me onto it.
I detail my vehicles top to bottom two times a year, in the spring after winter and in the fall before. Spring cleaning my truck involves pressure washing everything I can see and reach underneath, the frame, floors, suspension, back side of the rear chromed bumper, wheel wells, skid plates and etc. I even drop the spare tire carrier so I can clean it, it's carrier and the bottom of the bed. After Fluid Film applied on everything since the pressure washer/detergent removed most of if not all of the previous coating along with the road crud.

FF doesn't dry as such, it remains kinda gooey, collects road grim but most importantly it provides a barrier between all parts and the nasty road stuff. Oh, and it doesn't need to be applied an inch thick, a light coating will do. Last June when I had my truck inspected checking things out ..."Dang, this thing looks like brand new up here!"
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 04:14 PM
dce
Sage

How many cans does it take to do an entire truck?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page