New or Used Truck - Page 2 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 11:35 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I just bought a F250 Super Duty in May, the price for the 250 was the same as the 150, just a heads up if you're looking for more towing/payload. The 150s are popular but I wanted more hauling/payload power. I event use my 250 as a semi-daily driver, average 15mph.

Anyway, I would buy new. If I can I always buy new. I've seen how people have treated brand new equipment, quads with 10 miles on swamped in a mud puddle, new trucks taken off road and swamped up to the running boards and a couple weeks later you see these vehicles up for sale.

Also, a lot depends on how long you want to keep the vehicle, I run mine until they're on their last leg pretty much. Last thing I want to do is buy a used vehicle only to have it nickle and dime me for the life of the vehicle. Good luck in your decision.

Last edited by G2CDeer; 09-25-2019 at 11:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 11:40 AM
Banned

Last new truck I bought was March of 2000 I bought the first new f150 super crew. The first super crew they got on the lot. It was a 2001.
I had it 18 years. Used it for hauling wood and hunting. Family runs and every day driver. 247,000 miles later it was finally finished. I buy one and use it til itís finished. I didnít buy used this last time because of a really good deal I found. But figuring no less then ten years for this one too.
Danesdad and flintlock hunter like this.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

I'm with you guys, I usually keep all of my vehicles for a long long time. This is actually the first time in my life that I'm considering trading in a vehicle while it's still worth something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2CDeer View Post
I just bought a F250 Super Duty in May, the price for the 250 was the same as the 150, just a heads up if you're looking for more towing/payload. The 150s are popular but I wanted more hauling/payload power. I event use my 250 as a semi-daily driver, average 15mph.

Anyway, I would buy new. If I can I always buy new. I've seen how people have treated brand new equipment, quads with 10 miles on swamped in a mud puddle, new trucks taken off road and swamped up to the running boards and a couple weeks later you see these vehicles up for sale.

Also, a lot depends on how long you want to keep the vehicle, I run mine until they're on their last leg pretty much. Last thing I want to do is buy a used vehicle only to have it nickle and dime me for the life of the vehicle. Good luck in your decision.
I appreciate that, but I really don't have the need for that kind of towing and payload. For as much as I drive, 15MPG isn't where I want to be. A truck that size also wouldn't fit well(literally) into my routine, lots of narrow streets and parking garages. If I went with something like that it would definitely be a well used 3rd vehicle.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Just for reference, if I went with a newer vehicle for a daily driver I'm looking at a Tacoma, the new Ranger, or a F150. (sorry I'm not a GM guy).

Well used third vehicle could be pretty much any full size truck, preferably Toyota or Ford.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 07:54 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I still say get a new one and put a heavy duty bed liner in it to haul wood
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 08:08 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus99 View Post
I appreciate that, but I really don't have the need for that kind of towing and payload. For as much as I drive, 15MPG isn't where I want to be. A truck that size also wouldn't fit well(literally) into my routine, lots of narrow streets and parking garages. If I went with something like that it would definitely be a well used 3rd vehicle.
Any width or length differences between 150 and 250 would be negligible. Now height would be different. Anything narrower than a 150(1500) would be one of the small trucks.
I drive 3/4 and 1 tons not necessarily for the capacity or towing. I am hard on everything especially vehicles. I have found that I can buy a 3/4 or 1 ton and not have to deal with broken springs, worn out springs, prematurely worn steering components, broken axles on the front etc. Also on the Ford and Dodge heavier trucks the have solid front axles which give better life and durability.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 08:55 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
It is definitely nice to have a third vehicle in case one of the cars are in the shop. You could probably pick up a nice Toyota Tacoma with 100,000 miles for between 10 and 15 thousand.
Agreed. Probably closer to the 15k mark. My 2011 Tacoma has 342,000 and still going strong.
35 whelen likes this.

A promise made is a debt unpaid.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 09:35 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKtrapper View Post
My 2011 Tacoma has 342,000 and still going strong.
Have you had to put a lot of money in repairs into it?
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 09:40 PM
Frequent Contributor

You could say I keep my trucks for a while also. Ordered mine from the factory and received it in December of 99. 158,000 miles now. Just spent a bunch of money on it though. New clutch, ball joints and axle seals, so hopefully it's good for a while. Engine has never had any work to it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2700.jpg (102.4 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by 35 whelen; 09-25-2019 at 09:45 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page