New or Used Truck - Page 2 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 24Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 11:35 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman
 
G2CDeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Treestand
Posts: 3,816
Back To Top
I just bought a F250 Super Duty in May, the price for the 250 was the same as the 150, just a heads up if you're looking for more towing/payload. The 150s are popular but I wanted more hauling/payload power. I event use my 250 as a semi-daily driver, average 15mph.


Anyway, I would buy new. If I can I always buy new. I've seen how people have treated brand new equipment, quads with 10 miles on swamped in a mud puddle, new trucks taken off road and swamped up to the running boards and a couple weeks later you see these vehicles up for sale.


Also, a lot depends on how long you want to keep the vehicle, I run mine until they're on their last leg pretty much. Last thing I want to do is buy a used vehicle only to have it nickle and dime me for the life of the vehicle. Good luck in your decision.

Last edited by G2CDeer; 09-25-2019 at 11:40 AM.
G2CDeer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 11:40 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 362
Back To Top
Last new truck I bought was March of 2000 I bought the first new f150 super crew. The first super crew they got on the lot. It was a 2001.
I had it 18 years. Used it for hauling wood and hunting. Family runs and every day driver. 247,000 miles later it was finally finished. I buy one and use it til itís finished. I didnít buy used this last time because of a really good deal I found. But figuring no less then ten years for this one too.
Danesdad and flintlock hunter like this.
NECK SHOT is offline  
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Regular Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,887
Back To Top
I'm with you guys, I usually keep all of my vehicles for a long long time. This is actually the first time in my life that I'm considering trading in a vehicle while it's still worth something.
Marcus99 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Regular Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,887
Back To Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by G2CDeer View Post
I just bought a F250 Super Duty in May, the price for the 250 was the same as the 150, just a heads up if you're looking for more towing/payload. The 150s are popular but I wanted more hauling/payload power. I event use my 250 as a semi-daily driver, average 15mph.


Anyway, I would buy new. If I can I always buy new. I've seen how people have treated brand new equipment, quads with 10 miles on swamped in a mud puddle, new trucks taken off road and swamped up to the running boards and a couple weeks later you see these vehicles up for sale.


Also, a lot depends on how long you want to keep the vehicle, I run mine until they're on their last leg pretty much. Last thing I want to do is buy a used vehicle only to have it nickle and dime me for the life of the vehicle. Good luck in your decision.
I appreciate that, but I really don't have the need for that kind of towing and payload. For as much as I drive, 15MPG isn't where I want to be. A truck that size also wouldn't fit well(literally) into my routine, lots of narrow streets and parking garages. If I went with something like that it would definitely be a well used 3rd vehicle.
Marcus99 is online now  
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Regular Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,887
Back To Top
Just for reference, if I went with a newer vehicle for a daily driver I'm looking at a Tacoma, the new Ranger, or a F150. (sorry I'm not a GM guy).

Well used third vehicle could be pretty much any full size truck, preferably Toyota or Ford.
Marcus99 is online now  
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 07:54 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: conestoga,pa/Mills,Pa
Posts: 2,758
Back To Top
I still say get a new one and put a heavy duty bed liner in it to haul wood
NorthernPotterCo is offline  
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 08:08 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: butler county
Posts: 347
Back To Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus99 View Post
I appreciate that, but I really don't have the need for that kind of towing and payload. For as much as I drive, 15MPG isn't where I want to be. A truck that size also wouldn't fit well(literally) into my routine, lots of narrow streets and parking garages. If I went with something like that it would definitely be a well used 3rd vehicle.
Any width or length differences between 150 and 250 would be negligible. Now height would be different. Anything narrower than a 150(1500) would be one of the small trucks.
I drive 3/4 and 1 tons not necessarily for the capacity or towing. I am hard on everything especially vehicles. I have found that I can buy a 3/4 or 1 ton and not have to deal with broken springs, worn out springs, prematurely worn steering components, broken axles on the front etc. Also on the Ford and Dodge heavier trucks the have solid front axles which give better life and durability.
superd is offline  
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 08:55 PM
Frequent Contributor
 
ADKtrapper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: PA
Posts: 752
Back To Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
It is definitely nice to have a third vehicle in case one of the cars are in the shop. You could probably pick up a nice Toyota Tacoma with 100,000 miles for between 10 and 15 thousand.
Agreed. Probably closer to the 15k mark. My 2011 Tacoma has 342,000 and still going strong.
35 whelen likes this.

A promise made is a debt unpaid.
ADKtrapper is offline  
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 09:35 PM
Frequent Contributor
 
35 whelen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 683
Back To Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKtrapper View Post
My 2011 Tacoma has 342,000 and still going strong.
Have you had to put a lot of money in repairs into it?
35 whelen is online now  
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 09:40 PM
Frequent Contributor
 
35 whelen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 683
Back To Top
You could say I keep my trucks for a while also. Ordered mine from the factory and received it in December of 99. 158,000 miles now. Just spent a bunch of money on it though. New clutch, ball joints and axle seals, so hopefully it's good for a while. Engine has never had any work to it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2700.jpg (102.4 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by 35 whelen; 09-25-2019 at 09:45 PM.
35 whelen is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome