Question for the “heavy haulers” - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Question for the “heavy haulers”

Well actually two questions.

1. What is involved in “combination” registering your truck to pull a trailer over 10k. can I register a gmc 2500hd to be legal pulling a 14k gvw trailer?

2. This one I’ve never been given a straight answer on even from the “dmv”. What license is required to pull a trailer over 10k when the combo is under 26000. I know that sounds odd but a regular “class c” license says combo under 26k w/ trailer less than 10k, class be is single or combo over 26 w/ trailer under 10, and a class a is over 26k with a trailer over 10k. They act like a truck and trailer with a combined gave under 26k but with the trailer over 10k doesn’t happen, but is does every day. My BIL alone has three 10k plus trailers that he pulls with a one ton dually that is combo registered to 21k. He has a class a commercial license so he can drive about anything other than a tanker. There are tons of fifth wheel campers and horse trailers on the road every day and I know almost none of the drivers have a class a license. I’ve been told lots of different answers but none were able to be verified by any document. I’ve even been given contradictory answers from two state cops.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 05:07 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I was recently told I needed a medical card to pull trailer over 10k.
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 08:15 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Class A drivers license you can operate any combination of vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating of 26k or more., providing the gross vehicle weight rating of the vehicle or vehicles being towed is in excess of 10k.

Class B drivers license any single vehicle with a GVW of 26001 or more or any such vehicle towing a vehicle having a GVW of NOT more than 10k.

And the registration on your 3/4 ton would need to be a class #5 11000-14000 at 243.00 a year.

Don't Gobble at me...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by superd View Post
I was recently told I needed a medical card to pull trailer over 10k.
that is a common answer I get but I have not been able to certify it in any document.
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullfan View Post
Class A drivers license you can operate any combination of vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating of 26k or more., providing the gross vehicle weight rating of the vehicle or vehicles being towed is in excess of 10k.

Class B drivers license any single vehicle with a GVW of 26001 or more or any such vehicle towing a vehicle having a GVW of NOT more than 10k.

And the registration on your 3/4 ton would need to be a class #5 11000-14000 at 243.00 a year.
thanks for the class 5 info. As for the licensing both a and b are for over 26,001. I cannot find any info for less than 26,000 but a trailer over 10,000. I did see however that the back of a “regular” drivers license no longer says trailers under 10k so maybe as long as the combo is under 26,001 no other license is required. I just want to see it in some type of official document not just speculation so I have something to fall back on if I get stopped.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 09:48 AM

Just some more info.

Class 5 is $323 per year and is the vehicle gross weight of 11,001 - 14,000. Thats the GVW not the Gross vehicle combined weight of truck and trailer. I would go to a CAT scale and weigh your truck with the trailer hooked up to figure out where your GVW will fall and register accordingly.

I registered my F350 as class 4B because even when loaded up and towing my camper my truck + payload + tongue weight of the camper wont be above the 11K GVW.

Schedule of Fees
http://www.dot.state.pa.us/public/dv...rms/MV-70S.pdf

Last edited by nomad_archer; 02-13-2019 at 09:51 AM.
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 10:28 AM

If you are doing this for pleasure the rules are different.
Towing personal boats or toy haulers are not required to have med cards or CDLs

All commercial drivers of vehicles in interstate commerce with a maximum gross vehicle weight rating of over 10,000 pounds (4,536 kilograms) are required to obtain and maintain a valid Medical Examiner's Certificate (ME Certificate) Commercial drivers who drive vehicles requiring a CDL have two additional requirements.

We require all our operators to have a A lic, and they need yearly physicals with random drug screens to meet DOT/ICC regs.
We routinely have trailer equipment over the 10K limit on F-350 trucks.
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad_archer View Post
Just some more info.

Class 5 is $323 per year and is the vehicle gross weight of 11,001 - 14,000. Thats the GVW not the Gross vehicle combined weight of truck and trailer. I would go to a CAT scale and weigh your truck with the trailer hooked up to figure out where your GVW will fall and register accordingly.

I registered my F350 as class 4B because even when loaded up and towing my camper my truck + payload + tongue weight of the camper wont be above the 11K GVW.

Schedule of Fees
http://www.dot.state.pa.us/public/dv...rms/MV-70S.pdf
I was questioning that also. I don’t think 4b or 5 is going to work. The kicker here is the trailer gvw over 10k. As I read the rules any vehicle pulling a trailer over 10k has to be combo registered unless the towing vehicle weighs more than the trailer gvw
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birch812 View Post
If you are doing this for pleasure the rules are different.
Towing personal boats or toy haulers are not required to have med cards or CDLs

All commercial drivers of vehicles in interstate commerce with a maximum gross vehicle weight rating of over 10,000 pounds (4,536 kilograms) are required to obtain and maintain a valid Medical Examiner's Certificate (ME Certificate) Commercial drivers who drive vehicles requiring a CDL have two additional requirements.

We require all our operators to have a A lic, and they need yearly physicals with random drug screens to meet DOT/ICC regs.
We routinely have trailer equipment over the 10K limit on F-350 trucks.
that’s another issue. Commercial vs pleasure. Years ago after that family was killed by a loose trailer in butler we had a meeting with the psp trailer task force at a state vehicle inspectors meeting. The psp allowed questions at the end. One guy asked about weigh stations and who had to pull in. We were told commercial trucks. Someone asked about horse trailers and was told if you are taking a horse to a vet or home from buying it you are pleasure if you are going anywhere to compete and could win even a ribbon you are commercial. He said the same applies to hauling things like tractors or trucks.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Looking at the fee schedule I think I’d have to end up at class 7 or 8. I have access to a 14k trailer I’d like to be able to use. The horse trailer I’m looking to pull is 12k gvw. Gvw on my truck is 9200 on the door so that is over 21k with the horse trailer so I’d be looking at 21,001-26000 class 8

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page