Tire recommendations - Page 3 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 08:47 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
Wow Simon, you were robbed, my Cooper A/Ts cost me around $800.00 for my Avalanche.
I don't remember what specific model they were, only remember they were the top of the line Cooper Discoverer 18" 10 ply tire they made at the time. Price will vary quite a bit depending on ply rating and tire size. I'm guessing my tires are bigger and have a higher ply rating than those you put on your Avalanche. I did compare prices at two different shops, and prices were comparable.

I was really disappointed with the Coopers I bought. Like I said, I've been pleased with Mastercraft.

On a side note, my friend in Wyoming has an Avalanche. The first time after he got it and I was out to visit, I was a bit sceptical of taking that truck out on the two track backroads. Some pretty rough driving. It was one of the best stock vehicles I've ever been off road in. They are surprisingly good off roaders.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 08:27 AM
The Man

I am happy with Firestone Destination A/T
I run off road & gravel roads when running a trap line. Plus they run fine on highway.
Pass Thursday, put on 4 new Firestones Destination A/T's for upcoming trapping & predator calling season.
This is my 2nd time using Firestones.
post #23 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 09:00 AM
Sage

'06 Sierra came with Bridgestone H/T "highway" tires. Great mileage, better mud/snow traction than expected. Replaced them with the same tires at about 45K miles. OEMs still had enough tread for inspection and I gave them to someone on here that needed tires, I don't like going into winter with less than a quarter inch tread depth, just me.

'10 Z71 came with Bridgestone A/Ts. Absolutely the worst tires I've ever had. No better traction than the H/Ts, uneven wear. Had alignment checked several times, rotated and proper inflation, still cupped on the front end. Put a set of Cooper AT3s on steel rims for the rest of the time I had that truck. Put the Bridgestones back on when I traded it it. Liked the Coopers.

'14 Silverado came with Goodyear "highway" tires. Good gas mileage, punched a hole in one at about 10K. Replaced them with Hancook ATMS. 40K on them now, still doing fine. Still have a quarter inch of tread depth. Lost about 2 MPG over the OEM Goodyears, don't care.

As for BFG KOs, had a new 2002 S10 ZR2 that came with them. Decent in snow, not worth diddly in mud.

One was replaced free at a couple thousand miles, due to a heavy spot, couldn't be balanced. Shook the truck anytime it went over 75-80 MPH. When it was on the dealer's spin balancer, it broke the balancer loose from the floor, shook it so bad. That drew a crowd in that corner of the shop.

At about 45K miles, the left front tire literally exploded while I was coming home from camp, rolling down Rt. 15 at 75MPH just south of Trout Run. Had to hacksaw the steel belts from around the lower A arm, to get the tire off. Ain't owned a BFG since.

Either Coopers or Hancooks would be my tire of choice?

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 12:15 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

We used to deliver to Hankook as well as Falken and we get employee pricing through our boss but Hankook was always out of my size so I took the Falken starting with a set of M & S Highway tread that came with a 50K treadwear.

They replaced a set of cooper HT that didn't wear well and were terrible in the rain. I changed them out after 65K and the wet and snow performance NEVER deteriorated. At that time the Hankooks were in stock but my cost was 60% higher than the Falkens so I got a set of the AT3W for $92.00 each 'all in' except mounting, stems, balancing & disposal but the boss paid for that at our tire vendor.

The chrome face of my steel wheels was 'rust jacking' away from the wheel so picked up a set of 'takeoff' steel wheels from a 2016 and was running off the bridgstone OEM Highway treads when the 2005 died. I shopped for the newest Silverado I could afford w/ 17" wheels and made a deal to get the new steel wheels mounted with the Falkens and the bridgestones went off to the scrapyard on the rusted rims...

Now the 2011 has similar chrome faced wheels, and you can see the rust starting. They were shod with 'Achillies' MUD tires made in Indonesia...formerly a Continental plant and supposedly big with the drifting crowd.

The are great off road but are ten times louder than the Falken AT3W so I can't wait to wear then out!

Hankook switched all their DC's to one national carrier so I guess I will stick with Falken, my boss makes a call and I get an e-mail from Cali to pay and get a release and pick them up at the DC on my way home, fresh out of the container.

4th Generation @ Kamp.

3D - There are STILL a few deer left! You need to hunt for them!
post #25 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 01:41 PM
Sage

When I got fed up with the 18" Bridgestone A/Ts that came on my '10 Z71, wanted to get a set of slotted steel "work truck" 17" wheels (painted) and go with Coopers.

Called every salvage yard around here at the time and no one had any used Silverado steel wheels. Finally found out why: They usually send 'em off to outfits that recondition them for resale. $$ in their pockets, no waiting for some bozo like me, to maybe show up and want to buy them.

So I ordered a set of Silverado wheels like the spare is mounted on (painted black, holes, no slots) from one of the recondition outfits. Sold the Coopers when I traded the truck for a new '14, but the buyer put them on a Ford, so still have the wheels if anyone is interested?

Hated the alloy wheels and the Bridgestones on the 2010, so stacked 'em up for when I traded it and ran the steel wheels w/17" Coopers for three years. The '14 Silverado is THE first GM 4x4 truck I've had since 2002, that I really liked the wheels it came with. So I ditched the OEM Goodyears, went with 18" Hancooks that were on sale at the time.

Having run both, I judge the Cooper AT3s and the Hancook ATMs pretty much the same for noise, traction and wear.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B

Last edited by DennyF; 09-17-2018 at 01:43 PM.
post #26 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 10:46 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

We have a joke at work Goodyear tires are exactly that..... good for a year then they are shot. Run some cooper at3’s and don’t look back.
post #27 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 03:54 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Coopers here also. I have 56000 on my AT 3s and I’m about to get another set within the next couple weeks!
post #28 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strut10 View Post
How many ply are the AT3's ?? I can't even find it on Cooper's website.

They look like they'd make a good highway/summer tire.

mine are 10 ply they are a surprisingly good off road tire

take a kid hunting and fishing it will keep them out of trouble
post #29 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 09:01 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoncool View Post
I don't remember what specific model they were, only remember they were the top of the line Cooper Discoverer 18" 10 ply tire they made at the time. Price will vary quite a bit depending on ply rating and tire size. I'm guessing my tires are bigger and have a higher ply rating than those you put on your Avalanche. I did compare prices at two different shops, and prices were comparable.

I was really disappointed with the Coopers I bought. Like I said, I've been pleased with Mastercraft.

On a side note, my friend in Wyoming has an Avalanche. The first time after he got it and I was out to visit, I was a bit sceptical of taking that truck out on the two track backroads. Some pretty rough driving. It was one of the best stock vehicles I've ever been off road in. They are surprisingly good off roaders.

Cooper makes mastercraft.
post #30 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 09:07 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightine View Post
Cooper makes mastercraft.
Yes, I know they own the company. I stated that in an earlier post.

Personally I've gotten better wear out of Mastercraft and they are quite a bit cheaper. I should say I've only ever had one set of Coopers, and I wasn't pleased. Perhaps I got a set that was made Friday afternoon. A lot of guys are fans, but not me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in